Non-Hockey Sports Thread XV - Sports Abyss Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Euros tomorrow. Though I can't say I'm pumped about Portugal V. France.

Twins lose yet another last night, in typical loser fashion. And I will say that Nunez, for all that he is having a HUGE season ( pee in the cup, my man), is not a very smart player.

-Pop up bunt with two strikes?

-Stealing third with no outs in a close game?

These are the sorts of mistakes that a rookie makes, not a vet.

- Forcing a player to go home ( and get thrown out), because you are so intent on stretching a double into a triple?

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
It'd be real nice if Dunn can continue to play this well. Keep Rubio for this season while trying to trade him and enjoy having a Bench player that can actually play.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Well, there's the track & field European championships. If someone finds it interesting.

Oh yeah I've been watching the hell out of Euros. I was surprised to see France beat Germany. I still think if Gomez was playing it would have been a different game.

Gotta think France beats Portugal tomorrow.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Euros tomorrow. Though I can't say I'm pumped about Portugal V. France.

I didn't even bother trying to watch after Germany were eliminated. I was a fan of the expanded format at first, but while it did create some "good stories", in the end it really seemed to just allow some teams a cakewalk to the semis, while others were totally banged up. Hmm... so kinda like the East/West divide in Stanley Cup Playoffs, I guess :sarcasm:

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
We can't keep any good players in state. But with the state of the program, I'm not sure why they'd want to anyway.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah Pitino has really run the Gopher basketball program into the ground. And to make matters worse, it seems like every few months one of his players is getting into trouble.

I wish he was out of here already.

Slick Willy*

We can't keep any good players in state. But with the state of the program, I'm not sure why they'd want to anyway.

Ghetto Minneapolis (big city) vibe apparently not suiting most college recruits' tastes?

If you think about it, almost all of the Big 10 campuses are in small/college towns.

Most, anyways...(Ann Arbor, East Lansing, Iowa City, Madison, Champaign, etc...)

I'd venture to say Minneapolis (along with St. Paul) is the biggest in the entire conference???

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Ghetto Minneapolis (big city) vibe apparently not suiting most college recruits' tastes?

If you think about it, almost all of the Big 10 campuses are in small/college towns.

Most, anyways...(Ann Arbor, East Lansing, Iowa City, Madison, Champaign, etc...)

I'd venture to say Minneapolis (along with St. Paul) is the biggest in the entire conference???

2nd to Columbus.

Bloomington, IN

College Park, MD

Ann Arbor, MI

East Lansing, MI

Columbus, OH

University Park, PA

New Brunswick, NJ

Champaign, IL

Iowa City, IA

Minneapolis, MN

Lincoln, NE

Evanston, IL

West Lafayette, IN

Madison, WI

gopherman23

Jul 10, 2013
Minnesota

Pitino landed the highest rated in-state recruit, that will play for the Gophers, since Kris Humphries in 2003. So that narrative is clearly false. He also landed Jarvis Johnson, but he was ruled medically ineligible due to his heart condition.

We are actively recruiting Theo John, Jericho Sims and Mckinley Wright, who are all from Minnesota as well.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Pitino landed the highest rated in-state recruit, that will play for the Gophers, since Kris Humphries in 2003. So that narrative is clearly false. He also landed Jarvis Johnson, but he was ruled medically ineligible due to his heart condition.

We are actively recruiting Theo John, Jericho Sims and Mckinley Wright, who are all from Minnesota as well.

Who is that? To be honest I've paid little attention lately. What about Tyus? And the kids that went to Stanford and UNLV? Or was that all before him?

It's amazing when you watch the tourney each year to see how many good players are from Minnesota. Kids playing for SDSU, NDSU, Harvard, Dayton, etc., on top of the few I already mentioned. I'm sure they weren't highly ranked recruits, but good players for good teams. We have neither right now. Wolters was awesome in college.

Last edited:

gopherman23

Jul 10, 2013
Minnesota
Who is that? To be honest I've paid little attention lately. What about Tyus? And the kids that went to Stanford and UNLV? Or was that all before him?

It's amazing when you watch the tourney each year to see how many good players are from Minnesota. Kids playing for SDSU, NDSU, Harvard, Dayton, etc., on top of the few I already mentioned. I'm sure they weren't highly ranked recruits, but good players for good teams. We have neither right now. Wolters was awesome in college.

Amir Coffey http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/170379/amir-coffey

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN

Ah, so I think you were saying of all in-state Gopher recruits since 03, he's the best? I meant just the top recruits from Minnesota going anywhere. Tyus, Vaughn, and Travis were all top 50 a couple years ago and we didn't get any.

My point was more that the university can't get any top players, less Pitino specifically. Good get though there, so we'll see if more can follow if Pitino is still here in the next couple of years.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota

Pitino came in late that year for Reid and the other guy.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Terry Ryan fired....wow. It was time for a change, but a little odd timing. Hopefully something new will bring this team back to relevance.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Terry Ryan fired....wow. It was time for a change, but a little odd timing. Hopefully something new will bring this team back to relevance.

As long as the Pohlad's are the owners ..it's like putting lipstick on a pig. They care about money...not winning.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota

I like Ryan, but yeah, it's probably the right call. I'm interested to see who the long term replacement is and in all honesty, I'll probably be happy as long as we don't just replace him with an in-house warm body a la Bill Smith.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
As long as the Pohlad's are the owners ..it's like putting lipstick on a pig. They care about money...not winning.

It's how a GM spends the money not the amount. Cleveland has a lower payroll than the Twins. Terry Ryan has made some awful trades and bad free agent signings over the years. Time for someone outside the country club with some fresh ideas. With that said I'm not holding my breath.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003

It's how a GM spends the money not the amount. Cleveland has a lower payroll than the Twins. Terry Ryan has made some awful trades and bad free agent signings over the years. Time for someone outside the country club with some fresh ideas. With that said I'm not holding my breath.

GM can't arbitrarily spend the money, ownership has to sign off. The owners has never been willing to shell out money for talent and they won't now. Terry Ryan didn't just have free reign to make deals or signings...not with how the Pohlad's pinch pennies. They've had 3 GM's in 30 years and the interim guy has been with the team nearly that long. I don't trust that anything will change as long as that family owns this team.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
GM can't arbitrarily spend the money, ownership has to sign off. The owners has never been willing to shell out money for talent and they won't now. Terry Ryan didn't just have free reign to make deals or signings...not with how the Pohlad's pinch pennies. They've had 3 GM's in 30 years and the interim guy has been with the team nearly that long. I don't trust that anything will change as long as that family owns this team.

Terry Ryan said himself he was told he could spend more. Again it's what you spend it on. Terry Ryan was bad at his job. Knowing the Twins and the country club that it is they will hire Gardy as the GM. Nobody ever stays fired for long with the Twins. Gardy was re hired as an assistant to whatever soon after he was canned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad