OT: Non-Hockey Sports Thread X - The Search is on! (Scramblin' Fran Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Hurts was picked 53 overall

There are exceptions to the rule, of course. Montana was selected in the 3rd round, Brady in the 6th. Rodgers was selected towards the end of the 1st. But most of the top QBs are taken near the top of the 1st round..

You just need to get lucky and strike gold to select a franchise QB later than then.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
There are exceptions to the rule, of course. Montana was selected in the 3rd round, Brady in the 6th. But most of the top QBs are taken near the top of the 1st round..

You just need to get lucky and strike gold to select a franchise QB later than then.
Brees was also 3rd round.
Just because our last GM was QB inept doesn't mean Kwesi and KOC will be. Bash them after they fail, not before they even try.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Just because our last GM was QB inept doesn't mean Kwesi and KOC will be. Bash them after they fail, not before they even try.

I'm not suggesting that they don't take a QB , in fact I hope they do, but the list of QBs in the previous post were all top picks (except for Hurts)

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I'm not suggesting that they don't take a QB , in fact I hope they do, but the list of QBs in the previous post were all top picks (except for Hurts)
Add Purdy to the list instead of Lance. He's the one actually winning. Lance has done zip

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Brees was 2nd round and the first pick in that round. He dropped due to his height.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
No but he dropped due to height issues. More so he was a bust in San Diego. Got better once he moved on.
He was not a bust. Just because Marty Schotenheimer was too stupid to realize the QB he didn't draft was better than the one he did, doesn't make Brees a bust. It makes Marty a moron.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Bust is harsh. He had an 11-4 season with 3,500 yards and a 27-11 TD-INT split, and then hurt his shoulder.
Brees really didn't have much of a future in San Diego. Hell the season before his final in San Diego they benched him for Flutie.

They drafted Rivers...well Manning and traded for Rivers because they didn't see much more coming from Brees.

He was a bust for them as much as Patterson for the Vikings

Last edited:

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Add Purdy to the list instead of Lance. He's the one actually winning. Lance has done zip

I will need to see Purdy back last season up with another to make me a believer. He now has a full season of game film that DCs will study

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Brees really didn't have much of a future in San Diego. Hell the season before his final in San Diego they benched him for Flutie.

They drafted Rivers...well Manning and traded for Rivers because they didn't see much more coming from Brees.

He was a bust for them as much as Pouliot was a bust for the Wild.
No, they didn't.

Reactions: TaLoN

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Yes, but all those teams had a top 1-10 pick to select them. We end up drafting QBs like Kellon Mond.
Draft position really wasnt the point i was trying to make but more the fact that all those teams have been able to make really good moves because theyre paying a QB on a rookie deal or have had a QB on a rookie deal.

Best chance at winning and being a legit SB contender is having the QB on a rookie deal.

You can even add San Fran to that list as well.

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Two seasons before then, thought he left in 2004. He left in 2005. However he had one good season in San Diego which is why they drafted a QB
They drafted a QB because Marty didn't draft Brees and wanted "his guy". Coaches get tunnel vision like that, and like I said, it proved Marty was a moron.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
They drafted a QB because Marty didn't draft Brees and wanted "his guy". Coaches get tunnel vision like that, and like I said, it proved Marty was a moron.
Also, you're not tied to a QB taken in the 2nd round, and if you find yourself in the top 5 with QBs that you think are elite, it's the same decision that gets made a lot.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Or that Payton is a better QB coach than Marty.
Brees was good before he went to the Saints
He was good in San Diego despite having a coach that wanted nothing to do with him.

Marty was thrilled when Brees had his shoulder injury so he had that as an excuse to let him go as a free agent.

Last edited:

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Brees was good before he went to the Saints
He was good in San Diego despite having a coach that wanted nothing to do with him.

Yeah, Brees was showing some promise early on, but never really established himself and was benched for a good chunk of the 2003 season.. The Chargers had the 1st OA selection in the 2004 draft and selected Eli Manning...but Manning refused to sign with them, so they traded him to the NYG for Philip Rivers. I don't think any of the three teams (Chargers, Giants or Saints) can really complain about how it turned out. Granted, the Chargers didn't win the SB, but that wasn't the fault of Rivers who had a very solid career.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yeah, Brees was showing some promise early on, but never really established himself and was benched for a good chunk of the 2003 season.. The Chargers had the 1st OA selection in the 2004 draft and selected Eli Manning...but Manning refused to sign with them, so they traded him to the NYG for Philip Rivers. I don't think any of the three teams (Chargers, Giants or Saints) can really complain about how it turned out. Granted, the Chargers didn't win the SB, but that wasn't the fault of Rivers who had a very solid career.
That's because Marty was hired and then wanted his guy. Marty didn't like Brees before he even became San Diego's head coach. Had he realized what he had in Brees he would've drafted a different position and went with Brees and they'd likely have won a SB.

Again, I blamed Marty from the day he arrived. Brees was one of those rare QB's where you could see in college that he was virtually can't miss (he's literally the only other QB I used that term for aside from Peyton Manning), but QB scouting is such a crap shoot that even when you have someone that gifted staring you in the face, you find faults on why they won't make it... because so many QB's DON'T make it.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

OdQWKKK.jpeg

Weird considering his reported salary in LV is 1yr just over $1m?

Cornerback Duke Shelley, who provided some surprisingly strong cornerback play for the Vikings over the last few weeks of the regular season, has signed with the Las Vegas Raiders. The deal is reportedly a one-year deal for just over a million dollars.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
There are exceptions to the rule, of course. Montana was selected in the 3rd round, Brady in the 6th. Rodgers was selected towards the end of the 1st. But most of the top QBs are taken near the top of the 1st round..

Favre 2nd round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad