Non-Hockey Sports Thread VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The Pohlad family has a net worth approaching 4 billion dollars...they are the 4th richest owners in baseball according to a Forbes article from last year.
They can afford it...they choose not to.
Always been the case. Penny pinching family that you don't want as owners of a Sports Franchise.

There’s a soft salary cap in baseball. The MLB really should have a hard cap like all the other major sports do to even the playing field.
NBA also has a soft cap. That luxury tax is just a warm fuzzy for fans to claim there is a cap.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
There’s a soft salary cap in baseball. The MLB really should have a hard cap like all the other major sports do to even the playing field.

The NHL is the only one with a hard cap. The NBA has so many exceptions that their soft cap is a joke. The NFL has a cap, but it's not too difficult to work around with cutting players and renegotiating contracts. MLB gave their soft cap a little more teeth a few years ago with losing draft picks if a team is over it so many straight years.

I prefer the NFL cap and contracts out of the 4 major sports.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Competitive balance tax for 2020 is going to be $208 million. They can go up to that amount without being penalized. We were at $115 million this last year.

I'm fine with striking a balance between spending and spending smart, but if they don't try and strike while they have this lineup, there's absolutely no excuse. Spending money on pitchers is going to fill the ballpark for the next 5 years at least, because the offense shouldn't be going anywhere.

Reactions: Victorious Secret

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Competitive balance tax for 2020 is going to be $208 million. They can go up to that amount without being penalized. We were at $115 million this last year.

I'm fine with striking a balance between spending and spending smart, but if they don't try and strike while they have this lineup, there's absolutely no excuse. Spending money on pitchers is going to fill the ballpark for the next 5 years at least, because the offense shouldn't be going anywhere.

The first month or two of the season will always be a hard sell to get fans in the seats. Baseball isn't fun to watch live in not nice weather.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
I would bet that we will hear all about how the Twins are in on all of the big name free agents. They usually even claim to have made "competitive" offers, but somehow the big names continue to sign elsewhere.
The only way the Twins can sign a premier talent is to massively overpay. At this point I'd be completely fine doing that for a player of Cole's caliber.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The Iowa v. Penn St is the game I'm interested in for B1G for the week. The UW v Mich St. game was a dud.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Cousins doesn’t look so bad either. Is Diggs better now? What’s the scoop on that?
There hasn't been much talk about him recently. The team hoped the drama was a temporary one-week type of thing, and it appears that may have been the case. They're definitely trying to get him more involved again.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
There hasn't been much talk about him recently. The team hoped the drama was a temporary one-week type of thing, and it appears that may have been the case. They're definitely trying to get him more involved again.
I was gonna say, the last thing I remember hearing was that Thielen dragged Diggs back onto the field after practice to catch some passes from Cousins. Ended up catching passes from a different QB. Hopefully the drama is done. I always liked Diggs as a player.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I was gonna say, the last thing I remember hearing was that Thielen dragged Diggs back onto the field after practice to catch some passes from Cousins. Ended up catching passes from a different QB. Hopefully the drama is done. I always liked Diggs as a player.
And right on cue is the 62 yard TD. :thumbu:

Reactions: Digitalbooya
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad