Non-Hockey Sports Thread VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
jUstjust saw article St. Thomas is going DI. Ha...iI called it. Gophers got in-state rival?
Well, they want to, but that's not confirmed yet. They were invited to the Summit League, which holds both the ND and SD schools for non-football sports, and they would look to join a different conference for football, since the Summit doesn't have football. However... they need a waiver from the NCAA to jump from DIII to DI, so it's far from certain they actually get there right away.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'm not much of a fan of Aikman in the booth to begin with, but I really can't stand him when he's calling a Cowboys game.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I'm not much of a fan of Aikman in the booth to begin with, but I really can't stand him when he's calling a Cowboys game.
I want to know why that isn’t a conflict of interest. He basically pointed out his own bias during the game.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I don't mind bias for a home team telecast, it's to be expected; but for the national broadcasts I'm not a fan.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Can we just talk about how the last place team in the NFC North has a 3-2 record. Top to bottom, the best and toughest division in football.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Over 70m$ to spend this offseason. I know getting Cole is a long shot, but I better hear we were right there with the big boys and their ludicrous offers.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
You won't.
This ownership group will get the usual retreads and try to sell the fans on them.
The Twins will never win anything other than a weak division as long as that family owns the team.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
You won't.
This ownership group will get the usual retreads and try to sell the fans on them.
The Twins will never win anything other than a weak division as long as that family owns the team.
I would bet that we will hear all about how the Twins are in on all of the big name free agents. They usually even claim to have made "competitive" offers, but somehow the big names continue to sign elsewhere.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Get Bumgarner. Definitely a fan of his since he pitched 3 games in the World Series.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Just as a reference, MLB.com has an article about the 2020 free agent rankings, and to get a sense for the pitchers:

Odorizzi is 4th (or 5th if Strasburg opts out)
Pineda is 8th (or 9th)
Gibson is 10th (or 11th)

Edit: I guess it's not really a player ranking, but they are ranked by WAR, which seems to be a pretty big deal in baseball.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Twins Daily, which does phenomenal work, is saying that we have $70M to spend on three starters.

Upgrading definitely seems like it’s in the realm of possibility for this team. They need to go all in. Window is open.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
For starting pitching it seems like the top end pitchers are trying to be like the NBA and create super teams with just stacked lineups. Teams like TB and MKE are trying to make it work without 5 true starters and use the pen heavily. It might be the way the Twins have to go if they can't lock down some top starters.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Never seen Milwaukee as MKE before.

I'm not going to have hindsight and blame acquiring pitching at the deadline when the expected mashers didn't bother to show up. Questionable roster decisions and poor execution are more to blame.

I have exponentially more faith in this front office to make smart decisions and further improve the team than the prior regime. Year to year they have improved immensely in pitching, ERA+ from 2017 97, 2018 96, to 2019 110. FIP 4.72, 4.39, 4.02. SO/9 7.3, 8.6, 9.0. Minnesota doesn't have the pocketbook to pay for elite talent. They're moving onward and upward in operating under the constraints of the system, whether that be self-imposed or not.

I think the biggest difference is them revamping player development and working towards swing and miss pitching versus 'pitch to contact'. Plus, when was the last time the Twins had this much prospect depth? Truly, an exciting time.

Then again, someone gave me 11-2 odds on a Yankees sweep and I made out. So, I have a bittersweet perspective from this series.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
The Pohlad family has a net worth approaching 4 billion dollars...they are the 4th richest owners in baseball according to a Forbes article from last year.
They can afford it...they choose not to.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
I would say more recently, it's management not wanting to spend money stupidly.

This isn't Carl trying to sell to North Carolina or back to MLB, but I don't think it's acceptable to expect them to take massive losses to improve to a 15% chance at a World Series.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
When there is no salary cap in baseball...these stars all get stupid money. That's how it goes.
Basically your argument there says they are happy not to compete for titles beyond the division. Which is exactly how Carl was.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
When there is no salary cap in baseball...these stars all get stupid money. That's how it goes.
Basically your argument there says they are happy not to compete for titles beyond the division. Which is exactly how Carl was.
There’s a soft salary cap in baseball. The MLB really should have a hard cap like all the other major sports do to even the playing field.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
There’s a soft salary cap in baseball. The MLB really should have a hard cap like all the other major sports do to even the playing field.

Yes there is the luxury tax. My point is the owners can afford to go for it. They choose to spend like small market owners...and doing that they will never win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->