Rumor: Nolan Patrick on his way out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
If you're talking about a blockbuster that's sending both Eichel and Ristolainen to the Flyers, then Philly is offering a haul in both players, picks and salary, since they would be incurring about $16 mil in cap hit. In that case, we're talking something like...

TO PHI:
- Eichel
- Ristolainen

TO BUF:
- Voracek/JVR (salary needs to go back to BUF)
- Patrick
- Foerster/Frost
- Gostisbehere (salary that would need to go back)
- 13th overall pick
- ... maybe another pick or good prospect
That is a truly atrocious offer for Eichel. Not to mention Ristolainen too.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
That is a truly atrocious offer for Eichel. Not to mention Ristolainen too.
It probably is, but the Flyers cannot possibly trade for Eichel without sending back tons of salary in the process. When it comes to Eichel, the true value would be a package involving players like Couturier, Konecny, Farabee, Provorov, etc. but the Flyers cannot afford to trade them to acquire Eichel's cap hit as long as Voracek and JVR are on the roster.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
It probably is, but the Flyers cannot possibly trade for Eichel without sending back tons of salary in the process. When it comes to Eichel, the true value would be a package involving players like Couturier, Konecny, Farabee, Provorov, etc. but the Flyers cannot afford to trade them to acquire Eichel's cap hit as long as Voracek and JVR are on the roster.
The cap going back wasn’t the problem with the offer.

The problem was it was a collection of mediocre players and non blue chip prospects. There was no quality, only quantity

Reactions: Pucklington

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007

The problem was it was a collection of mediocre players and non blue chip prospects. There was no quality, only quantity
No, but the Flyers needed to include players in that offer like Voracek, JVR and Ghost, because without them going the other way, they could never afford Eichel, which is why Eichel will not be going to the Flyers lol

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
No, but the Flyers needed to include players in that offer like Voracek, JVR and Ghost, because without them going the other way, they could never afford Eichel, which is why Eichel will not be going to the Flyers lol

That's not accurate at all. Can always trade/lose one or more of those guys in the ED or after.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Jrtu

Jun 22, 2010
Damaged goods you say?

Jim Benning, step right up! He’ll good you the Benning special and trade you a 2nd rounder for Patrick. Heck, take a third rounder too!

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
If you're talking about a blockbuster that's sending both Eichel and Ristolainen to the Flyers, then Philly is offering a haul in both players, picks and salary, since they would be incurring about $16 mil in cap hit. In that case, we're talking something like...

TO PHI:
- Eichel
- Ristolainen

TO BUF:
- Voracek/JVR (salary needs to go back to BUF)
- Patrick
- Foerster/Frost
- Gostisbehere (salary that would need to go back)
- 13th overall pick
- ... maybe another pick or good prospect

That's all? I'm doing that in a heartbeat as a Flyers fan.

My Sanheim, konecny, Patrick, JVR posts were shot down in all the Eichel threads but if the above works then even better!

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I'm probably in the minority but I'd do that deal if the 3rd was coming to edmonton with patrick instead of away.
I would consider that as well to be honest. Bear has been better and more healthy at the NHL level than Patrick, so I would want the 3rd coming back to Edmonton too. Interesting thought, but I don't know if Philly needs a Bear type.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I would consider that as well to be honest. Bear has been better and more healthy at the NHL level than Patrick, so I would want the 3rd coming back to Edmonton too. Interesting thought, but I don't know if Philly needs a Bear type.
The Flyers have Myers for the 2nd pairing, Braun for the 3rd pairing.

We don't need Bear for this year...because we need a top pairing guy.

And we need a #3C....so Patrick and Frost wll battle it out for that spot....with Laughton being the fallback option.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The Flyers have Myers for the 2nd pairing, Braun for the 3rd pairing.

We don't need Bear for this year...because we need a top pairing guy.

And we need a #3C....so Patrick and Frost wll battle it out for that spot....with Laughton being the fallback option.
Fair enough. We could use Patrick because, well, our depth is the drizzling poops. But I certainly understand that Bear isn't among your positional needs. That said, is there any chance Laughton could be available? What would the ask be if he is?

Reactions: Tripod

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Fair enough. We could use Patrick because, well, our depth is the drizzling poops. But I certainly understand that Bear isn't among your positional needs. That said, is there any chance Laughton could be available? What would the ask be if he is?
Given they just signed him to a 5 year deal, I would say no. He is like the "fallback" swiss army knife for what could happen.

Lose JVR in ED? Laughton can fill in at LW
Patrick and Frost don't rebound? Laughton can fill in at C

Until the ED draft happens, I don't see the Flyers moving anyone since they will react differently depending on who gets taken. Hell...we don't even know who the expose since it's not clear cut.

Based on ability...JVR and Voracek should be protected. But given their cap hit, could be exposed. And with Ghost/Braun exposed...again react differently if one of them are exposed.

Mgt moaned all year about not replacing Niskanen on the top pair. That will be the focus of who they go after. And unless it's Hamilton, they will have to get that guy thru trade so will need the extra assets to make a deal. And that is where you could see a Patrick moved(along with a bunch more)....because they Have Frost and Laughton as the fallback.

A bunch of Flyers FANS would be fine with moving Laughon for a pick...late 1st...given he is sinced cheap, for 5 years, and is in his prime.....assuming Patrick and Frost rebound next year. Laughton"could" find himself on the 4th line next year if those 2 rebound and they lose a D in expansion.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Thinking about Patrick's value in strictly draft pick terms... I think the problem here is there is a wide gap between "What is he worth?" vs "What is enough for the Flyers to trade him?".

I'm not saying it's these precise numbers, but for example. Patrick could be worth a mid-2nd round pick. But It would take a mid-late 1st round pick for the Flyers to trade him. They have to weigh out his % chance of turning into a meaningful player and what they could expect the pick/asset to turn into.

Reactions: FlyguyOX and Tripod

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Thinking about Patrick's value in strictly draft pick terms... I think the problem here is there is a wide gap between "What is he worth?" vs "What is enough for the Flyers to trade him?".

I'm not saying it's these precise numbers, but for example. Patrick could be worth a mid-2nd round pick. But It would take a mid-late 1st round pick for the Flyers to trade him. They have to weigh out his % chance of turning into a meaningful player and what they could expect the pick/asset to turn into.
Yeah Flyers fans know how bad his year was...we watched it every game. I myself ripped on him...anyone can go back and look at it.

But I also said, he NEEDED to play games despite how he played because he missed almost 2 years.

He NEEDS an offseason to train HARD since he was not able to do this in the 2 years he didn't play.

If he comes to camp and struggles in the season, we still will be able to trade him for a 3rd on some team that will take a chance on him. Just like Yak. Just like Lazar. Just like Filatov. Etc...

But if he comes to camp and looks good and plays well, we have a hole at #3C that we need filling so he slots right in bumping Laughton. He will be dirt cheap so there is no downside to keep him.

Rather keep him and see the results of the offseason training than trade him for a pick that will have a 20% chance of even being an NHLer. Unless of coursehe is part of a much larger deal for like Eichel where he is the mystery box add in to get the deal done. But that id unlikely.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015

I think this proved my point. People aren’t willing to pay the price to get want they want.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Needs to rebuild his game and I don't think AV and the Flyers is a great place to do that at the moment. Wonder be curious to see what Sutter could do with him.

If Kylington survives the expansion draft maybe him and a 2nd for Patrick + 4th. Not sure what the Flyers needs are exactly. Maybe something involving Backlund.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad