Nolan Patrick Expectations

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Just stop it. Carchidi is fine and is definitely timely. I'm as excited as Carchidi about seeing what this new "Legion of Dume" line can do. If Leclair can build on his momentum with the Canadiens, he may be a decent complement to Lindros.

There is one thing I can guarantee you with absolute certainty. If you went to his office and cleaned up his work area with a dustbuster, you'd have to empty it at least four times, due to all the crumbs from crackers and other dried snacks. Now, while this in and of itself may not be legitimate cause for criticism, the fact that he is such an utter slob should give us all pause. It is a manifestation of his mental clutter and decrepitude. Also, I am ****ing starving.

pinedak

Dec 4, 2014
30-40pts. It's unlikely he will ever be more than a 65 point guy at his absolute peak. He's not a Matthews or Nylander. Much more McKinnon or Duchesne-lite level player.

jonnygrossman89

Mar 14, 2017
They should have Patrick start out on the 2nd or 3rd line. Let him learn how to play good consistent two-way hockey. No need to put so much pressure on him right away. Let him grow into the role of the franchise player.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
They should have Patrick start out on the 2nd or 3rd line. Let him learn how to play good consistent two-way hockey. No need to put so much pressure on him right away. Let him grow into the role of the franchise player.

Is there anyone who felt different?

I think the majority of the board agreed on a 3rd line center role. Preferably with Filppula on his wing to take some pressure off.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Joe Thornton had 3G and 4A in 55 games in his rookie year. I think he turned out ok.

Thorton has a vision and backhand control not many have

Truth about Drai he has the same vision and backhand, and is also developing a Kopitar like shield of the puck..but his biggest upside was just how much he developed his skating.

I listened to an analyst specifically talk about his skating. The improvement was outstanding and it reflected in his 2nd year. Was also a crutch at times. This pro mentioned he has never seen an individual improve so much in that department

Nolan needs a huge improvement in skating imo or he could very well plateau at Coots level.

I think his skating improvement will be the biggest crutch. He has the shot. The d smarts. Just needs the ability to create room

If he doesn't he doesn't have the playmaking to be a Thornton or Drai imo. Could be just another Coots defensively and on the boards..which isn't bad mind you..just not next level as a total player

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Nolan needs a huge improvement in skating imo or he could very well plateau at Coots level.

I think his skating improvement will be the biggest crutch. He has the shot. The d smarts. Just needs the ability to create room

If he doesn't he doesn't have the playmaking to be a Thornton or Drai imo. Could be just another Coots defensively and on the boards..which isn't bad mind you..just not next level as a total player

Patrick is not Coots in skating. He can have a powerful burst in short distances, and he's got quicker feet in tight. Coots has trouble being flat footed and too upright. Draisaitl was someone who needed desperate work on his skating because it was bad. Patrick is starting from a higher baseline, and frankly, his skating should be better than Draisaitl's. It's his full stride that could use some work up-ice, lengthening his stride. And Couturier is actually a respectable skater in full flight, with his long stride, just takes him a while. He is excellent at zone entries. Patrick should only be so good at zone entries off the rush, while being more talented creating with them. Besides, Patrick was injured all season and it affected his skating and training.

And for all the talk about him being a goal scorer, maybe the best part of Patrick's game is his high IQ playmaking. Don't know where you got the impression his passing is not up to par. He does a masterful job of working in his teammates in transition or in zone, running give and go plays and the like. He's got really good vision and is a decisive and hard passer, rarely telegraphing anything. His feel for his teammates is outstanding.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Patrick is not Coots in skating. He can have a powerful burst in short distances, and he's got quicker feet in tight. Coots has trouble being flat footed and too upright. Draisaitl was someone who needed desperate work on his skating because it was bad. Patrick is starting from a higher baseline, and frankly, his skating should be better than Draisaitl's. It's his full stride that could use some work up-ice, lengthening his stride. And Couturier is actually a respectable skater in full flight, with his long stride, just takes him a while. He is excellent at zone entries. Patrick should only be so good at zone entries off the rush, while being more talented creating with them. Besides, Patrick was injured all season and it affected his skating and training.

And for all the talk about him being a goal scorer, maybe the best part of Patrick's game is his high IQ playmaking. Don't know where you got the impression his passing is not up to par. He does a masterful job of working in his teammates in transition or in zone, running give and go plays and the like. He's got really good vision and is a decisive and hard passer, rarely telegraphing anything. His feel for his teammates is outstanding.

-His skating seems slow without explosiveness.
-His playmaking is no slouch..but Draisaitl level it is not
-His IQ is very good, but if the feet don't match it is gonna show

Not trying to knock the guy,,but he has things he needs to work on

There is a reason this draft..him..gets compared to a weak draft. RNH and not as high as MacKinnon

Based on what I have seen, skating is his biggest crutch. If it doesn't improve the rest of his skills will not compensate. Just my opinion

If he doesn't make an noticeable improvement in skating..he will not be a future #1 C. Sooo happy to have him and a unexpected bonus, but the search to replace Giroux will continue

Last edited:

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
No reason to be.

Chronic groin/abdominal area injuries for skaters is not to be completely dismissed. I hope he is OK. But the idea that he needed surgery in June could be a set back for training camp. We will find out soon enough.... I hope the new diagnosis is all that it was to have this issue get behind him.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Chronic groin/abdominal area injuries for skaters is not to be completely dismissed. I hope he is OK. But the idea that he needed surgery in June could be a set back for training camp. We will find out soon enough.... I hope the new diagnosis is all that it was to have this issue get behind him.

He'll be fine before training camp.

They said it was 4-6 weeks until he can play in a game again. That was weeks ago.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
For the first twenty games or so, I would be in favor of using him on the wing of Filppula's line just so the can get accustomed to the speed of the NHL game. Then move him over to center when he's adjusted his game.
Lindblom-G-Voracek
Weal-Couts-Simmer
Patrick-Flip-Konecny
Whoever-Whoever-Whoever

I don't want to see NP get overloaded with expectations by the League, Organization, teammates or fans. I'm least concerned with the organization here. Hextall can be relied upon to keep that in check. So will Hakstol; his ability to work with young players is why he was hired. The League may want another young star to join the Young Gun group that is coming up as well as the Hischier-Patrick Rivalry that it will want to promote but the Flyers should be able to control that. Its fan expectations that concern me the most.

Last edited:

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
For the first twenty games or so, I would be in favor of using him on the wing of Filppula's line just so the can get accustomed to the speed of the NHL game. Then move him over to center when he's adjusted his game.
Lindblom-G-Voracek
Weal-Couts-Simmer
Patrick-Flip-Konecny
Whoever-Whoever-Whoever

I don't want to see NP get overloaded with expectations by the League, Organization, teammates or fans. I'm least concerned with the organization here. Hextall can be relied upon to keep that in check. So will Hakstol; his ability to work with young players is why he was hired. The League may want another young star to join the Young Gun group that is coming up as well as the Hischier-Patrick Rivalry that it will want to promote but the Flyers should be able to control that. Its fan expectations that concern me the most.

Patrick doesn't make a lot of sense on the wing IMO. He can be sheltered plenty to start out at 3C with easy match ups and some strong line mates.

I think Flip and Konencny make a lot of sense as line mates in sheltered offensive minutes.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
its not a prediction. its an expectation.

There's not really a difference. It's absurd to have an expectation.

Besides, last time you had an expectation for a player and it was wrong you ended up hating him out of revenge. Might be best for you to steer clear of expectations.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
There's not really a difference. It's absurd to have an expectation.

Besides, last time you had an expectation for a player and it was wrong you ended up hating him out of revenge. Might be best for you to steer clear of expectations.

Lindros 2.0, but healthier. And with 6 cups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad