Player Discussion Noah Juulsen

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I have to count myself as eating some crow over this guy's development.....watching him in Abbotsford the last year or so, he looked to me like the second coming of Madison Bowey.

But right now he's just not the same player. He zone exits are simple, but effective. He's become one of the go-to staples on the first unit PK. And he hits a ton.....which you can never have enough of on your back end. And to top it all off, he's a rare right-shot defender.

But just goes to show that with d-men, you can never give up on them too soon. After all, he was a former first round draft pick. All he needed was to stay healthy for an entire season, and come to a team like the Canucks who believed in him.

He was obviously a project for Adam Foote and Sergei Gonchar--who have done wonders for him.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
If Cole is healthy? I’ll take that bet.

They should rest Cole a lot until then though
At his age and the way he plays, and with Juulsen playing so much better, it seems like Cole would be at his best with more rest days/time to recover.

There are a lot of miles on that body of his. I think he’d be better utilized if we did sit him for some games here and there and let Juulsen step in to give him some rest.

That’s probably not going to happen (at least not enough) but I think it would be a better approach not just with Cole but a lot of older players that could be way more effective if they played fewer games.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Can't think of a better Masterton nominee than Juulsen.......'Perseverance' should be his middle name. A former first round draft pick of the Canadiens, who was felled by injury after injury early in his career.

And then bounced around the league, being claimed once on waivers, and then making his way to the Canucks as basically a 'throw-in' along with Juho Lammikko when the Canucks dumped Oli Juolevi on Florida.

Juulsen went to Abbotsford, worked hard, and reinvented himself. And here he is, an NHL regular.

Reactions: PavelBure10

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
I don't know what goes into winning that award, but I have to imagine it'll be Kylington after a lengthy absence from hockey. Maybe Rossi for overcoming a pretty bad stint of COVID.

Funny to see OEL there. Good for Juulsen in any case, he deserves the nomination at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad