Player Discussion Noah Juulsen

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB
There's been a few times in the last handful of games where there's been a really nice lead pass or a good stick to break up a play or whatever, and I chuckled when I realized it was Juulsen hahahahaha.

Dude's been playing great. Awesome to see. Would be huge for us if he keeps this up and solidifies himself as a really good bottom-pairing guy.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I really hand it out to the Canucks scouting on this guy. The first handful of games Juulsen looked like a mini chaos giraffe, but after Juulsen got rid of his first game jitters, he really has gone unnoticed. Which is a great thing. One area where Juulsen seems to really excel is his PK ability. Now that Juulsen isn't throwing himself out of position to make a hit, he's been a solid contributor defensively on the Canucks backend. Although Juulsen will probably get the boot when Soucy comes back, Juulsen will make a very good 7th defenseman.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
The evolution in Juulsen's game has been amazing. Myers too for that matter. I'm 100% sold on the notion that we have the best coaching/(pro)player development staff in the league. They have the players laser focused and ready to play. And holy shit does it ever make a difference. loved this answer Zadorov gave about his time in Vancouver so far:

1703085143481.png

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Juulsen has stabilized for sure, but there are definitely moments where you can see he's a bit too limited to preferably be a lineup regular.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's crazy what can happen to players when they get opportunity in a good team.

Like, I've watched Juulsen play a lot of games in Abbotsford over the past two years and he's basically been an OK-but-limited mid-pairing guy at that level. And what we saw to start this year was basically what I expected given his AHL performance.

But they just kept rolling and rolling him and he seemed to start developing some confidence ... and suddenly he's playing 15 minutes of pretty solid hockey every night.

It's good, but you also wonder what would happen with, say, a Jett Woo if he was given that same opportunity and that massive amount of rope.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Like, I've watched Juulsen play a lot of games in Abbotsford over the past two years and he's basically been an OK-but-limited mid-pairing guy at that level. And what we saw to start this year was basically what I expected given his AHL performance.

But they just kept rolling and rolling him and he seemed to start developing some confidence ... and suddenly he's playing 15 minutes of pretty solid hockey every night.

It's good, but you also wonder what would happen with, say, a Jett Woo if he was given that same opportunity and that massive amount of rope.

Juulsen was intriguing due to the fact that he has missed a ton of development time. Like in his first year in Abby he played more games than in the 3 previous years combined.

It would be nice to see what Woo can do.

Reactions: Lindgren

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Juulsen was intriguing due to the fact that he has missed a ton of development time. Like in his first year in Abby he played more games than in the 3 previous years combined.

It would be nice to see what Woo can do.

That's certainly fair, but also I thought his play was pretty consistently similar through his two years in Abbotsford. Wasn't like there was a huge spike year 2 with more games under his belt or anything.

Like, he played a ton over the last two years on a defensive 2nd pairing with Brisebois and was pretty solid but overall I thought Brisebois was generally the more mobile, more effective guy on that pairing and covered for a lot of the 'bad pinch/hit decision' mistakes we were seeing from Juulsen earlier this year that seem to have disappeared overnight.

He certainly never popped at that level the way Wolanin did last year or the way that Woo did right at the end of last season.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Actually becoming a reliable bottom pair D

Props to the coaching staff. He was a former first round pick so at one point he was projected to become a solid nhl player so I guess we shouldn’t be this surprised?

Reactions: DFAC

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Noah Juulsen was a first round draft pick by the Habs, but his early career he was completely derailed a series of injuries. From there he bounced to Flordia where he was sidelined by even more bad injury luck.

So he was basically throw-in, in the deal that brought Jullsen and Uho Lammikko to the Canucks in exchange for Oli Juolevi.

So his career development path was seriously delayed, until he got to Abbotsford where he played a season-and-a-half, and has improved every year. Playing some of the best hockey of his career right now for the Canucks.

I guess it's proof that Benning didn't lose every trade he ever make.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Noah Juulsen was a first round draft pick by the Habs, but his early career he was completely derailed a series of injuries. From there he bounced to Flordia where he was sidelined by even more bad injury luck.

So he was basically throw-in, in the deal that brought Jullsen and Uho Lammikko to the Canucks in exchange for Oli Juolevi.

So his career development path was seriously delayed, until he got to Abbotsford where he played a season-and-a-half, and has improved every year. Playing some of the best hockey of his career right now for the Canucks.

I guess it's proof that Benning didn't lose every trade he ever make.
Drafted by the Habs

That's a death sentecne for most of the propsects. they dont know how to develop prospects

Reactions: kylek023

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Habs fans seemed to still be very high on him as a top 4 stay at home d-man type of prospect up until he ran into the injury issues.

D+2: 49 games
D+3: 52 games
D+4: 24 games
D+5: 13 games
D+6: 9 games

Just based on those last 3 seasons, it would kind of be common sense to expect him to struggle to find his game and make his way back just to where he was before the injuries…

Then he comes to Vancouver immediately after that 3 year stint where he barely got to play any games…and appears to be growing as a player.

Maybe a lot of his struggles were related to the concussions and lost development time???

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
The evolution in Juulsen's game has been amazing. Myers too for that matter. I'm 100% sold on the notion that we have the best coaching/(pro)player development staff in the league. They have the players laser focused and ready to play. And holy shit does it ever make a difference. loved this answer Zadorov gave about his time in Vancouver so far:

View attachment 787272
This should really be the future of coaching, and I say this as a coach. You need that hardass "father figure" type of guy, but he has to be actually nice and fair and kind to the players to actually be that good father figure type of leader. The rest of the organization should be all about giving players the absolute best mental outlook and opportunities to succeed. Pressure is just not a good motivator, and the whole "sink or swim" mentality that drives a lot of sports development is super dinosaur shit.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver

I agree, and I think this is a very underrated part of player development. Playing with the best players, practicing around the best players, and playing against the best players will eventually make you one of the best players if you're coached well and respond well to that coaching. This is the NHL, these guys are talented enough to hang when it comes to physical ability. The "fake it till you make it effect" goes farther than people think when you're immersed in an environment saturated with people who have already made it.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Clearly Tocchet saw something in Juulsen late last season and into the 2023-24 season--when just about everyone else, myself included, wondered why he wasn't back in Abbotsford.

But it's like watching a guy emerge from his cocoon closer to a butterfly than a moth. He's big, hits a ton and has all but eliminated those egregious turnovers that plagued him earlier in the season.

There's a lot of reasons to optimistic about Juulsen. Just turned 26, he's coming into the age where a lot of d-men start playing their best hockey. So far, he's been one of the most surprising players in a season full of surprises so far.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
He's rapidly turning into a more physical version of Brent Sopel.....who played in the league a long time.

Vancouver used to be the place where d-men-- that the team either drafted or acquired--usually hit rock bottom. The list seems endless......Gudbranson, Juolevi, Poolman, OEL, Stillman, Pouliot, Hamonic and even Myers, who basically struggled for the last five seasons.

But I'm convinced that if the Canucks had, had coaches like Tocchet, Gonchar and Foote behind the bench, the narrative for those failed d-men might have been a lot different.

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Fantastic within the organization development with Juulsen. Excellent patience from staff and management to see that Juulsen had to potential to be a NHL caliber defenseman. I tip my hat since I never did see it. Happy to eat my hat on this one.

Since then Juulsen has become a very good #6 defenseman who excels on the PK. Now that Juulsen isn't throwing himself out of position to make a hit, he now has become fairly defensively responsible. I no longer cringe when Juulsen is on the ice "which is a great thing". Also noticed in the Columbus game that Juulsen is starting to blast point shots onto the goal. Safe to say he's developing nicely.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
He's rapidly turning into a more physical version of Brent Sopel.....who played in the league a long time.

Vancouver used to be the place where d-men-- that the team either drafted or acquired--usually hit rock bottom. The list seems endless......Gudbranson, Juolevi, Poolman, OEL, Stillman, Pouliot, Hamonic and even Myers, who basically struggled for the last five seasons.

But I'm convinced that if the Canucks had, had coaches like Tocchet, Gonchar and Foote behind the bench, the narrative for those failed d-men might have been a lot different.
we are getting ahead of our selves with this guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad