Proposal: Noah Hanifin to Buffalo for pick 13

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Yes. Silly post. Hanifin has over the past 3 years become one of the best defensive D in the league
I thought you were talking about defenseman in general, not just defense. But we have Samuelsson, who is also very good. Dahlin's defensive play has also been good this season. I like Hanifin, but without an extension, it doesn't make sense. I also wanted him to be right-handed, and he is left-handed.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I thought you were talking about defenseman in general, not just defense. But we have Samuelsson, who is also very good. Dahlin's defensive play has also been good this season. I like Hanifin, but without an extension, it doesn't make sense. I also wanted him to be right-handed, and he is left-handed.
Ah ok. Yes he's not better than Dahlin overall clearly. I was talking about his defensive play.

I agree on the extension and actually said that in another post.

Yes RHD would be preferred based on your roster. However the only guy we have that would fit your age window is Andersson. You wouldn't like the price I'm sure.

The one area we disagree is I believe Hanifin is a substantial improvement defensively over Samuelsson. The numbers and eye test both bear that out for me.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Ah ok. Yes he's not better than Dahlin overall clearly. I was talking about his defensive play.

Yes RHD would be preferred based on your roster. However the only guy we have that would fit your age window is Andersson. You wouldn't like the price I'm sure.

The one area we disagree is I believe Hanifin is a substantial improvement defensively over Samuelsson. The numbers and eye test both bear that out for me.
No, I'm not saying that Hanifin is worse defensively than Samuelsson, I just said that our best defensive defender is Samuelsson. Hanifin would be a nice addition to Buffalo, but definitely not as a one-year rent.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

A one year rental isn’t getting 13OA.

I think Buffalo can get andersson for less than what you think given Calgary cap issues.

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

I think Buffalo can get andersson for less than what you think given Calgary cap issues.
What a silly post. I already said Buffalo should only do it for an extended Hanifin. What do you think Dahlin is worth? Andersson is comparable and half the cap hit long term.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

You do realize he

a) skates like the wind
b) is top 20ish in 5 on 5 D scoring the past few seasons
c) has put up elite defensive metrics for 3 straight seasons
d) is 25

He’s a number one D on about half the teams in the league. Those guys grow on trees and have no value right? I know you guys have been really bad for a while and haven’t had to acquire anyone but the takes in this thread are painful

• Haha
Reactions: Kulich Man

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010

lol okay

That's some real wishful thinking. Whatever cap issues the Flames have are in reality, easily solvable without having to dump good players on fantastic contracts for whatever spare parts Buffalo might conjure up.

Like seriously, if there's one untouchable player on the Flames, it Rasmus Andersson. He's a 26 year old 50 point RHS top pairing defenseman making 4.5M for another 3 years with the potential to be a number one. It's obvious as why he's coveted but you'd have to be utterly delusional to think he'd be the first on the chopping block when the Flames literally have 7 other players on one years deals they could easily move instead.

Reactions: Nanuuk

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
What a silly post. I already said Buffalo should only do it for an extended Hanifin. What do you think Dahlin is worth? Andersson is comparable and half the cap hit long term.
Lol. His post was certainly silly, but were you trying to trump him with yours? I'm a big fan of Andersson's but he's not the same caliber of defenseman as Dahlin particulary when you factor in that Dahlin is several years younger. That's not a slight to Andersson either who's an excellent defenseman in his own right. I'd pay a ton for him if he became available (which it's extremely unlikely he will).
If Hanifin is coming with an extension he's clearly worth Buffalo's 1st and probably a bit more. I like the player and think he'd help Buffalo's blueline immensely, but I can't help but feel Tanev would be a better fit for Buffalo based on acquisition cost and him being a RD.

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Lol. His post was certainly silly, but were you trying to trump him with yours? I'm a big fan of Andersson's but he's not the same caliber of defenseman as Dahlin particulary when you factor in that Dahlin is several years younger. That's not a slight to Andersson either who's an excellent defenseman in his own right. I'd pay a ton for him if he became available (which it's extremely unlikely he will).
If Hanifin is coming with an extension he's clearly worth Buffalo's 1st and probably a bit more. I like the player and think he'd help Buffalo's blueline immensely, but I can't help but feel Tanev would be a better fit for Buffalo based on acquisition cost and him being a RD.
It could be argued that Dahlin has more upside. It's factually true Andersson is the better defender by miles right now. Dahlin is better offensively.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
It could be argued that Dahlin has more upside. It's factually true Andersson is the better defender by miles right now. Dahlin is better offensively.

I strongly disagree with this.

Dahlin's defense is so under-rated around the league now, as he is one of the most improved defensive players in the NHL over the past season and a half.

Metrics are apples to oranges when you consider Sutter's defensive system vs Granato's approach where he has stated that he has not yet had time to actually implement a defensive system into his game plan (there is a reason why the Sabres are one of the highest scoring teams in the league and yet still had a negative goals for/against differential). Add in the team defensive play of the two team forward cores and comparing players from both teams in a team stat is no where near a legitimate evaluation.

Dahlin has quietly become a strong defensive player, and while I won't say he is better defensively than Andersson, anyone that actually watches him play would never say he is miles worse defensively.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Idk where tf this myth that Dahlin is an offensive D comes from, but he’s elite all over the ice.
Truth

Actually, no.
Dahlin is far and above Andersson defender wise, that us just fact. If fans hadn't been paying attention, Dahlin is a beast.

Reactions: BowieSabresFan

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Hanifin is only 10 months older than Hronek and only 1 year closer to UFA. He’s 3 years older than Romanov and a far more accomplished player. He’s also fine skater and long way away from becoming the diminishing return you imply.

2 yrs of team control is more more than 1 yr.

Romanov had finished his ELC s he had 4+ yrs of team control.

but you can’t extend him till July 1 which is after the drsft. 13OA is out of the discussion.
You do realize he

a) skates like the wind
b) is top 20ish in 5 on 5 D scoring the past few seasons
c) has put up elite defensive metrics for 3 straight seasons
d) is 25

He’s a number one D on about half the teams in the league. Those guys grow on trees and have no value right? I know you guys have been really bad for a while and haven’t had to acquire anyone but the takes in this thread are painful

buffalo has Power and Dahlin who are LD. He woukd not be the best LD on buffalo. He also wouldn’t get PP time.
lol okay

That's some real wishful thinking. Whatever cap issues the Flames have are in reality, easily solvable without having to dump good players on fantastic contracts for whatever spare parts Buffalo might conjure up.

Like seriously, if there's one untouchable player on the Flames, it Rasmus Andersson. He's a 26 year old 50 point RHS top pairing defenseman making 4.5M for another 3 years with the potential to be a number one. It's obvious as why he's coveted but you'd have to be utterly delusional to think he'd be the first on the chopping block when the Flames literally have 7 other players on one years deals they could easily move instead.
e terrain me…who do you think they will easily move to create cap space and get the return you think? Pick in the 20s you have better luck.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
e terrain me…who do you think they will easily move to create cap space and get the return you think? Pick in the 20s you have better luck.

Uh, Backlund, Hanifin, Tanev, Zadorov, & Toffoli all have just a year left on their contracts. You really think any of them would be difficult to move or wouldn't command a respectable return?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Truth

Actually, no.
Dahlin is far and above Andersson defender wise, that us just fact. If fans hadn't been paying attention, Dahlin is a beast.
He's in the 25th percentile for defensive war man. He's a borderline bad defender. Andersson is 88th. It's a worse take than me saying Toffoli is better offensively than McDavid. It's so out to lunch as to be absurd.

Idk where tf this myth that Dahlin is an offensive D comes from, but he’s elite all over the ice.
Again, he's not. He's worse than 3 out of 4 nhl defensemen defensively over the past 3 seasons. I get that he's young and may improve. But he's not elite defensively. He's not even close to average yet.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I strongly disagree with this.

Dahlin's defense is so under-rated around the league now, as he is one of the most improved defensive players in the NHL over the past season and a half.

Metrics are apples to oranges when you consider Sutter's defensive system vs Granato's approach where he has stated that he has not yet had time to actually implement a defensive system into his game plan (there is a reason why the Sabres are one of the highest scoring teams in the league and yet still had a negative goals for/against differential). Add in the team defensive play of the two team forward cores and comparing players from both teams in a team stat is no where near a legitimate evaluation.

Dahlin has quietly become a strong defensive player, and while I won't say he is better defensively than Andersson, anyone that actually watches him play would never say he is miles worse defensively.
I've watched him play tons. The Sabres are my 2nd favorite team after the Flames. His metrics match the eye test for me. He has terrible gap control and loses his man frequently in his own zone. He is elite offensively. Skating and his reads are outstanding. He reminds me of a bigger Quinn Hughes presently.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I've watched him play tons. The Sabres are my 2nd favorite team after the Flames. His metrics match the eye test for me. He has terrible gap control and loses his man frequently in his own zone. He is elite offensively. Skating and his reads are outstanding. He reminds me of a bigger Quinn Hughes presently.
How would you reply to the actual points @Irie brought up? Are you aware of Granato's comments on that? How do you think the two forward groups play into WAR?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad