Proposal: Noah Hanifin to Buffalo for pick 13

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
From a handedness perspective and contextually, Dahlin shifted to the right with Samuelsson as his LD partner. He also shuffles back to LD at times when injury put Samuelsson out depending on partner. Power mostly stayed on the left, even at the times when they loaded up with him and Dahlin where Dahlin would play on the right and in the limited minutes (113.6 at 5-on-5) with Samuelsson, Samuelsson played on the right.

Jokiharju struggled some down the stretch with Power in the normal rightie role, at times went back to playing with Dahlin when Samuelsson's sprained MCL and broken hand took him out of the lineup at last. It's mostly a case that he's the weakest link in their top four and the desire from Sabre fans is to replace him somehow with another, then shuffle up the top four with either or both of Samuelsson and Dahlin playing on their off-hand side.

Also of note, this would fly in the face of one of their own analytics guys (Domenic Galamini) wrote about a few years ago when he was still "just" a graduate student and hockey data blogging was taking off.
I think it's worth noting, specifically with Dahlin/Samuelsson that those 2 would change sides frequently even on the fly and mid shift. They just read each other extremely well, and I don't know that another player from outside the organization could find that type of chemistry with a defensive partner. Experience at playing on the right would be needed, and Hanifin has very little from what I can see where as when they were trying to get Chychrun, he had played a significant number of minutes on the right in past seasons.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
& risk losing Hanifin and/or Lindholm to UFA?
If they're good with the new change they might be open to extending. Might wait and see if they will before the season starts, but worst case is if they're not going to extend and you're not safely in a playoff spot there's always the deadline

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Noah Hanifin isn’t worth the 13th overall pick.

Hanifin’s value is more on par with a late 1st round pick.
They can easily get a first + from a playoff team at the TDL for him

A solid top 4 dman is valuable

That’s just a rental. A signed Hanifin mấy worth even more

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
I'm not even a huge fan of Hanifin and I'd want more in return. He's not a number one defensemen and most likely never will be but he is a solid number 2.

And a 26 year old top pairing defensemen won't be cheap, even if he just has one year left on his deal. Which is a bargain too at 4.95M.
Buffalo hangs up the phone on one-year for expiring contract. A 13th overall for a year? Never happen.
Sure okay whatever but you're not getting a 26 year top pairing defenseman signed for another 3 years at an absolute steal of 4.55M per like Rasmus Andersson for a mid 1st rounder lol.

Not that Andersson is available at all but he'd require so much more than you'd ever be willing to pay.

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
If Chychrun is returning a top 15 1st and two 2nds, there's no chance Hanifin isn't worth at least #13 and probably another quality asset on top of that. To say otherwise is delusion. Hanifin is the better defender, much much more durable, and their offensive production is very comparable(NH 0.4ppg, JC 0.45ppg). Plus he hasn't publicly asked for a trade like Jakob did.

I'm in the camp that thinks the Flames should trade him at the draft, not because he sucks or I don't want to see him play for us anymore, but because he's an asset where the Flames have some organizational depth and he'd actually be worth something substantial. Also I would rather not do the will he won't he dance again with another American soon to be UFA.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
If Chychrun is returning a top 15 1st and two 2nds, there's no chance Hanifin isn't worth at least #13 and probably another quality asset on top of that. To say otherwise is delusion. Hanifin is the better defender, much much more durable, and their offensive production is very comparable(NH 0.4ppg, JC 0.45ppg). Plus he hasn't publicly asked for a trade like Jakob did.

I'm in the camp that thinks the Flames should trade him at the draft, not because he sucks or I don't want to see him play for us anymore, but because he's an asset where the Flames have some organizational depth and he'd actually be worth something substantial. Also I would rather not do the will he won't he dance again with another American soon to be UFA.
I'm in that camp as well. We need to shed cap. We have Weegar, Hanafin, Kylington and Zadarov as left side guys. And Tanev/Andersson on the right.

So if:

-We re-sign Stecher (who said he wanted to stay)

-We extend Kylington

Then we have a situation where Hanafin is an expendable asset if you can get some blue chip assets. I'd absolutely be aiming for something like 13+ for an extended Hanafin.

Reactions: Kulich Man

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Imagine talking about a defenseman and the one and only thing that matters is points. You come off as a stats guy more than someone who actually watches the game.
All aspects matter when talking about a player, I’d much rather watch the games than anything else but from time to time I’ll check out a few stats in between periods if time allows.

HF comes off as if I’m a fan of a team that I shouldn’t know anything about any other team, but I follow every team and watch as many games in the evening and all day on the weekends as possible without disrupting my family and work lifestyle. I just hate being accused of being a fan of one team and being locked to one team when I want to see everybody play there’s so many different style of players that peaks my interest.

I’m not an expert but I’ve seen plenty of Noah Hanifin’s games as a professional to know what style of player he is and up until this season I thought he was kinda soft but he seemed to add body checking to his game this season, that’s something I wasn’t expecting from Noah. I also thought he was very good on the PK.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d like to have a Noah Hanifin on my team but not for the 13th overall pick, I just don’t believe he is worth that alone IMO.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I’d do both 2nds but not 13 for Hanifin. Essentially I agree that Hanifin is worth about a late 1st. 13 is too much. Unless we trade down into the 20’s our closest pick is Philly’s 2nd
a just entering his prime, solid defender with decent size that was a #5 overall pick isnt worth 13?
13 may not play an NHL game, and forget the development time.
People too way too much stock on picks vs actual good NHL players

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest

Chychrun was acquired with the understanding that he would be an asset for 3 playoff pushes/runs at a below market rate.

Half of Chychrun's value was from his below market value contract status.

Hanifin is a single year rental, and if extended before playing a game in Buffalo, (big if), he will probably be overpayed to the point where his value might be neutral at best.

a just entering his prime, solid defender with decent size that was a #5 overall pick isnt worth 13?
13 may not play an NHL game, and forget the development time.
People too way too much stock on picks vs actual good NHL players

And a lot of posters don't put enough stock into contract status and term.

13OA in this draft is worth more than a one year rental of Hanifin, and if the extension cost is too high, his value further decreases. If he signs at a discount, then his value would be more, but we are talking about Buffalo, and there is very little chance Hanifin is signing an extension at the time of the trade at a fair market or better AAV.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
If I'm the Sabres and he'll sign long term I'm moving 13 in a heartbeat for him. He's instantly their best defender by miles, is above average offensively and will age well with the mobility. You're basically getting all of his prime for #13. If he won't sign I'm not doing it. I don't think their window opens for one more year.

Flames should only be trading him if he won't sign a reasonable extension. You don't get 25 year old top pairing defensemen easily.

• Haha
Reactions: Kulich Man

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
If I'm the Sabres and he'll sign long term I'm moving 13 in a heartbeat for him. He's instantly their best defender by miles, is above average offensively and will age well with the mobility. You're basically getting all of his prime for #13. If he won't sign I'm not doing it. I don't think their window opens for one more year.

Flames should only be trading him if he won't sign a reasonable extension. You don't get 25 year old top pairing defensemen easily.
Best defender by miles? Yeah, no.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Best defender by miles? Yeah, no.
It's not close. He's so much better defensively than any of their other defensemen that it's absurd to claim otherwise. It would be like me saying Mangiapane is taller than Tage Thompson. Not sure who anyone with eyes couldn't see it's correct. It's miles and miles. Like not close at all.

Yes. Silly post. Hanifin has over the past 3 years become one of the best defensive D in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad