Proposal: Noah Hanifin to Buffalo for pick 13

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I could see Hanifin being shopped. Defense is clogged and Weegar is already signed.

They might go for a more hockey trade though.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Again, he's not. He's worse than 3 out of 4 nhl defensemen defensively over the past 3 seasons. I get that he's young and may improve. But he's not elite defensively. He's not even close to average yet.
Using Hockey Viz’s Model and Evolving Hockey Fox and Karlsson were better at driving offense.

Dahlin was better than Makar on offense.

Dahlin had better defensive metrics than all of them.

He could very well be in the top three for Norris according to all of this.

imgonline-com-ua-2to1-1wIqbI5P4TpbK.jpg

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Using Hockey Viz’s Model and Evolving Hockey Fox and Karlsson were better at driving offense.

Dahlin was better than Makar on offense.

Dahlin had better defensive metrics than all of them.

He could very well be in the top three for Norris according to all of this.

View attachment 711007
I was going to say something to the effect of "Dahlin had a season that should have put him into consideration for the Norris this past season." This is a pretty nice illustration of that. Anyone claiming he's a defensive liability or "miles behind Rasmus Andersson defensively" hasn't been paying attention, simple as that.

Reactions: Fjordy

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Lol what does that even have to do with anything? Next you're going to bring up how he didnt score a goal in the playoffs this year.
Was implying that Hanifin is a #2 or #3 defender and Andersson is the #1 in Calgary.

I wasn’t going to bring up how Hanifin didn’t score in the playoffs this year, I’m not that harsh, but since you’ve mentioned it, had Calgary made the playoffs I’m almost certain Noah Hanifin would have scored 1 goal, not that it matters. :nod:

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
On a different note. What would Buffalo be willing to move for Tanev if made available? would a base of either Mittelstadt or Ostlund be acceptable?
Don't think so. Not because value is way off, but those are both pieces we expect to get many good years out of. Tanev has one year left and he's old enough that I'm not sure an extension makes a ton of sense. Would love Tanev, but probably not willing to pay a premium piece just because I wouldn't expect to get years out of him.

For Tanev I'd offer a 2nd tier prospect and/or picks (not our 23 1st and probably not '24 either, because it could still be in the same range). Neuchev + a 2nd? Something like that. Understand if you think you can get more. IMO, this is what makes sense for BUF.

For Hanifin, Ostlund/Mitts or our 1st would be on the table, but there'd either have to be conditions on the pick or I'd need to talk to Hanifin about an extension beforehand.

Reactions: tsujimoto74

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I could see Hanifin being shopped. Defense is clogged and Weegar is already signed.

They might go for a more hockey trade though.
Yeah I was a Hanifin critic for a long time but he has rounded out into a good #2 or elite #3. Trading him for a mid round 1st makes no sense. A hockey trade for a comparable forward definitely makes more sense.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
On a different note. What would Buffalo be willing to move for Tanev if made available? would a base of either Mittelstadt or Ostlund be acceptable?

Tanev is probably worth more than teams will likely pay this off-season.

With him turning 34 this year, there is a big risk of injuries and drop in play. I think that risk is going to be present in every offer, bringing them a good deal below his actual current value.

It's probably less of a concern for an older team going all in for the cup, but for a team like Buffalo, the incentive is probably not great enough to overcome the risk concerns.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad