Friedman: Noah Hanifin and Flames making ''progress'' on contract extension

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
8M+?

Overpay if so.
No way it's 8

8x7m is my guess and I think it'll be a bargain halfway through and likely decent at the end.

Seems crazy considering how much games he's played but he's still getting better. Likely our best D so far this year

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
As a hater of Calgary I hope they sign him to an 8 x 8 deal. What a bunch of twits running that team. Conroy is an idiot. All the UFA should be on the block. They have a garbage prospect pool and have a chance to get some young assets at the deadline. Fire the beer league coach and get a decent guy in there in the summer and they can retool on the fly.

Hanifin and Lindholm on 8 year deals is abject stupidity.

Reactions: Iggys Dome

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
As a hater of Calgary I hope they sign him to an 8 x 8 deal. What a bunch of twits running that team. Conroy is an idiot. All the UFA should be on the block. They have a garbage prospect pool and have a chance to get some young assets at the deadline. Fire the beer league coach and get a decent guy in there in the summer and they can retool on the fly.

Sounding like a bitter Canuck fan who finishes below the Flames every year who has a worse prospect pool.

Quit projecting.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada

Yep. Locking up that 26 year old top pairing defenseman is a dumb idea. :eyeroll:

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
plz trade for stuff
Things. Several things. More than 1 good thing but at least 1 very good thing.

I felt better about that when Kylington was still playing hockey. I still have hopes he will play more hockey at some point.
I got nothing against Noah. Quality top 3 defenseman. Very quality even. But trading him and Lindholm are the last chance this franchise has to reload with some young A assets before it is completely hopeless.
We should’ve shipped Huby and Weegar instantly. Would’ve been the perfect time to rebuild and would’ve gotten a haul for both, even though they’re two of my favourites.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Underrated player. People forget hes 26. One of the youngest defensemen to 600 NHL games. Hope this is true.

Yea I had no idea he was already more than halfway to 1,000 games.

I thought he was a little older because he played a year in college and then was drafted (usually happens to guys born after the September age cut off), but I guess he did what Werenski did and played in college a year early at 17.

Ledge And Dairy

I thought he was a little older because he played a year in college and then was drafted (usually happens to guys born after the September age cut off), but I guess he did what Werenski did and played in college a year early at 17.
Only person in the league thats younger than McDavid with mire games played

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Man Calgary needs to rebuild they should have done it when Matthew and Johnny left, I know hanifin is young but they would be best if they traded him alongside with Lindholm and Weegar, this would accelerate their rebuild, they kind of feel like the sharks where you can just see they were entering a period where they are going to be absolutely horrendous 😭

Bond

May 10, 2012
I still hope they trade him and Lindholm but it would suck if Florida fell apart over the next two years and the Flames don’t get their pick. Risky.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

2015 draft with McDavid. He fast tracked his schooling as you really don't see pre Sept 15 kids play in the NCAA in their draft year. Eichel, born in Oct 1996, is the more standard. You'd typically see a Hanifin type drafted out of the USHL or US National Dev team program.
Toews did that as well at UND. April Birthday in 1988, drafted in 2006 with a year at UND.

Nurse at $9.25 mill per with Edm, a 2013 pick. this in retrospect was a massive overpay by Edm.. The 2012 Dman heavy draft class has Trouba at $8 (started at age 25 and only 7 years) mill, Lindholm at $6.5 (started at age 28).

Last edited:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The way the Flames are playing right now I'd rather they trade him for draft picks than sign him to an extension. This team sucks donkey balls.

Reactions: HairyKneel

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
No no, clearly when they double Lindholm's cap hit and add 2M or so to Hanifin's, the Flames will be even better.

Turns out the problem is cap flexibility; too much cap flexibility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad