Friedman: Noah Hanifin and Flames making ''progress'' on contract extension

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Please no

If it’s under 6M…ok. If not, I’d rather trade him

It's virtually impossible to see a reasonably "young free agent" Top-3 Defenceman signing for $6M, much less under that marker.

I certainly get the impetus behind moving him if that's the price though. He's a good defenceman, but he always just gives me the impression that he's got just a few too many braindead mistakes in him to be completely clutch in that role. Someone will certainly offer him that though. Only real leverage the Flames have in this instance, is the extra year they can potentially offer him. Though i'm not sure that's what i'd want to be doing either.

Ledge And Dairy

Why is it good for Calgary?

What kind of a future do they have with that roster build?

They should have retooled and still should retool but just refuse to do so
Are you going to pay for the new arena? Im sure blowing it up will keep the season ticket holders around.

Calgary is already committed for the next 5+ years, and Hanifin is a 1st pair caliber defenseman. How is keeping him not good for what they are doing?

Also they literally did a major retool last summer, why do they need to do it again before they've even tried the new roster?

lettuceAA

Dec 16, 2010
There isn't a team in the NHL that he wouldn't be a top 4 Dman on, hope this gets done soon.

Hanifan/Weeger/Anderson is a really good D core to continue building around.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Progress like, they have now placed the paper on the table and he can look at it now?

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Why is it good for Calgary?

What kind of a future do they have with that roster build?

They should have retooled and still should retool but just refuse to do so

The team that the Flames have is mediocre at best but they need the money because of the new building, so they will stay in mediocrity for at least 6 years.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
There isn't a team in the NHL that he wouldn't be a top 4 Dman on, hope this gets done soon.

Hanifan/Weeger/Anderson is a really good D core to continue building around.
Yes, a great core that has delivered nothing in terms of playoff success.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Are you going to pay for the new arena? Im sure blowing it up will keep the season ticket holders around.

Calgary is already committed for the next 5+ years, and Hanifin is a 1st pair caliber defenseman. How is keeping him not good for what they are doing?

Also they literally did a major retool last summer, why do they need to do it again before they've even tried the new roster?

You know what is worse than a rebuild? A team that can't win or draft a top prospect with no change coming in sight. That is what causes empty seats.

Ask jets fans.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'd guess 6.25-7.25M x 7-8 years, probably on the upper end of that AAV though.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Feel like Calgary and Winnipeg both are committed to being mediocre for the next decade.

Not good enough to make any noise. Not bad enough to get a top draft pick.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
They are committed to making the play-offs, just like any other squad. Making the play-offs means top sixteen in the league, or average, not mediocre. Win one round and you're above average.

Either team has the talent has the team to make the play-offs.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Matching deal to Weegar then it's acceptable as he could still be moved and get a decent return. Overpaying for him would just make me check out more lol

Ledge And Dairy

You know what is worse than a rebuild? A team that can't win or draft a top prospect with no change coming in sight. That is what causes empty seats.

Ask jets fans.
Os that why Buffalo tickets the last 10 years have cost $50 while while the same section in Toronto has cost over $1000?

Jets tickets sales right now are a mix of the teams slow start and their ticket prices

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Murray Edwards sure does love his mediocrity.

Conroy is turning out be a pretty terrible GM but that's no surprise

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
He’s a beast. He’s the guy you sign long term because he’ll be a top pair guy for the rest of that contract.
Lindholm and the other UFAs are more risky IMO, as good as Lindholm has been to start.

The Hanifin-Andersson pair is low-key the most important part of the Flames.
In what way is he a beast? He plays like its a non-contact non-emotion league. I don't even think I've seen him get mad.

A solid top four puck moving Dman, yes, a beast, no. Hes more a of pu ssy than a beast

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Calagry has/had a good opportunity to re-coop some assets here. Backlund I get , but it seems silly to lock a roster up that has won nothing, while also being done developing.

Ottawa it makes sense because their players should still improve. Guys like Hannifin you know what they are and what they bring. Hanfian i really like, but do not think he makes sense to sign long term for the flames.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Calgary is not going to be good for 5 years.

Backlund 34y
Markstrom 33
Kadri 33
Hubs 30
Weegar 29
Lindholm 29

So what kind of retool did they exactly do?

Their core is build around players at the end of their peaks or already past their peak.
Trying to repeat what Winnipeg has done is not recipe for success on the ice nor off the ice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad