Post-Game Talk: No what ifs but imagine if Matheson was scratched all round. Cats 3 NYI 2

Will you watch what's likely to be the last "playoff game" for many years?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club

just one more reason why DT needs to go.
I actually give him some credit, he did arrive with a bang, created that Frankenstein team of mercenaries that made the playoffs for the first time and he's also created some decent teams after that and we made the playoffs other times. So in essence, was it more successful than the previous 12 years since we made the playoffs, yeah sure, did some good for our franchise. But we're on the brink, we still don't make the playoffs consistently and he's also done a lot of bad decisions which seems like we took 2 steps back after some success. He insists in keeping his "guys" and handing down horrible contracts. While we have progressed as opposed to the 12 years we didn't make the playoffs, he also hasn't delivered to take us to that next phase. Making the playoffs every couple of years is not success either, we haven't won a playoff series since 1996..let that sink in. We're still a failure and 10 years is enough. Specially like I said, when we're in the brink, relocation ideas are legit now. As much as Viola might say he likes hockey, he likes not losing money probably more...

contracts like that Matheson to a virtual nobody is why DT keeps handcuffing us with terrible decisions and his time has expired.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I've said this on the main boards. But it's really not as exciting of a problem as it might seem. But from what I've seen Matheson can't pivot well, going backwards, and going forwards as well really. And since his skating gets picked out as a major asset, no one even recognizes he has a problem. And it leads to everything else, things just compound on each other, including his low confidence.

The low IQ plays happen because he can't function like a normal hockey player physically. And it leads to panic situations. And like I said, a big problem there is he thinks and everyone else looks at his skating as an asset, instead of an issue (as far as the pivoting). It's a wound that's just left unattended.

He doesn't need to solve it (that would be asking too much IMO). He just needs to mitigate it as much as possible. And work around it. I don't know if he'll do it here. But if someone gets with him in another organization and recognizes, it might help him settle down a bit.

Edit: And these are things that the Panthers as an organization have historically not done well, develop prospects. I know he spent time in college and the AHL if I remember correctly. But when he came up to the show, he should have been sheltered, like someone already mentioned. And the team as a whole should have been functioning better, playing better more structured hockey. That's a big help for developing prospects.

I think you're right. That's something that a high iq d-man can work around, but it may not be possible for Mathid-19.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Problem with the idea of “we’re stuck with him so may as well let him play and figure it out” is that we’ve tried. There’s nothing more for him to figure out. He won’t just snap out of it. It’s wishful thinking but it won’t happen, this is what he is. The signing was a failure because he’s become a failure, and not just that, but a detriment to the entire team. I swear to god please let Seattle take him. Play him as a winger next year and if there’s justice in the world please let him be a Kraken player from there on out

I'm sure our gm whoever it is will try to sweeten Seattle to take him, but they may not bite. The question then becomes how much are you willing to pay to dump Matheson? Are you willing to give up a 1st or Tippett/Knight? We may be stuck with him. The other thing is Francis is not an idiot. He was a high iq hockey player and he knows Matheson sucks bad, and has 6 years left. It's hard to see Francis biting.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I think Matheson could be a good bottom 6 guy but an overpaid one. At least he'll be able to contribute and playing wing is much easier for low IQ players. He also shouldn't be a defensive liability. Get him on the PK as one of the forwards and maybe he turns into a Grabner type penalty killer.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
i don't think anyone's suggesting that approach anymore.

more like limit minutes and eliminate toughest matchups while trying to remediate him - bring in veteran D who could be his guru.

Problem with the idea of “we’re stuck with him so may as well let him play and figure it out” is that we’ve tried. There’s nothing more for him to figure out. He won’t just snap out of it. It’s wishful thinking but it won’t happen, this is what he is. The signing was a failure because he’s become a failure, and not just that, but a detriment to the entire team. I swear to god please let Seattle take him. Play him as a winger next year and if there’s justice in the world please let him be a Kraken player from there on out[/QUOTE ]

Reactions: harv33173

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
I'm sure our gm whoever it is will try to sweeten Seattle to take him, but they may not bite. The question then becomes how much are you willing to pay to dump Matheson? Are you willing to give up a 1st or Tippett/Knight? We may be stuck with him. The other thing is Francis is not an idiot. He was a high iq hockey player and he knows Matheson sucks bad, and has 6 years left. It's hard to see Francis biting.
5 years by that point. But yes, the problem still persists

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
upload_2020-8-6_18-30-40.png

I guess we might put AS28 or Frankie in if we're worried about Huby

COVI-19 better not...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad