Dreger: No significant back and forth between Campbell and the Leafs, mentions Fluery as an option

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I kind of like the idea of a Fleury - Blackwood/Samsonov tandem. Where they take on the next Jack Campbell at a lower cap figure and try and develop them into someone that could take over for Fleury a year or two down the road.

That would be awesome probably won't happen

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
So you're giving 40 million a pass lol

So you're giving 40 million a pass
We don't need to perform cause we shouldn't even be in a game 7 lol
40m put up ppg or better, each one of them. They did their job. They lost because they got nothing from anyone else lower in the line up and Campbell’s glass slipper fell off and Cinderella’s carriage turned back into a pumpkin.
They need a new goaltending situation and to move some middle cap glut (kerf Holl mrazek) and get some different guys in the bottom 6.
The D is fine, if you look they’re upper middle class in most defensive metrics and bottom wrung in isolated goaltending metrics.

How much room do the leafs have for a new goalie, or two?
They spent 5.5 last year in net, they can replace a guy like Holl with a cheaper option and probably go up to 7-8m total, although I suspect they’d like to keep the total goalie aav to around what they spent last year or maybe 6m, just with different guys. Something like a vet like MAF, Campbell or a younger guy like Husso for 3-4m and a young guy like Georgiev or Blackwood or a vet like Desmith or Holtby for the remaining 2-3m is probably what they’re looking at doing in an ideal situation.
If the cost to dump mrazek is something obscene like the trolls here suggest then I think there’s a conversation to be had about bringing in the one guy from that list who who like the best and rolling the dice with the new goalie department being built in the organization that you can rebuild Petr’s value and get something out of that deal. Unless you’re Vasi markstrom shesterkin demko saros or sorokin its 50/50 how good the guy actually will be season over season and Mrazek if he bounces back to his career norms he’s a league avg starter making sub 4m. That said I think the priority is find him and the club a fresh start, I just wouldn’t be slinging around first round picks or prospects like sandin Robertson etc to get rid of the guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: BLONG7

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
toronto problem might not be in goal.
Ya their defence is the problem. Muzzin and Gio are OLD and not ideal for a 82 game season + long playoffs; Brodie and Reilly are good; but one dimensional in their own ways; Liligren and Sandin are conversely too young/inexperienced. Theres a mismatch in their peaking at the right time. Its not like they are former top 4 picks who have faster development curves. With their big 4 taking that much cap; they have to make do with it; but its not a championship caliber D-core.

Roysakic

Sep 19, 2018
There's no way MAF considered Toronto.
shit place to live, all that added media bullshit and plus he's from Quebec he probably hates the leafs. leafs don't have the cap to lure him. there's no discounts to live in this shitty city and all the added bullshit that comes for playing with the leafs

Jul 10, 2003
KW
There's no way MAF considered Toronto.
shit place to live, all that added media bullshit and plus he's from Quebec he probably hates the leafs. leafs don't have the cap to lure him. there's no discounts to live in this shitty city and all the added bullshit that comes for playing with the leafs
It’s not a shitty city for the wealthy, not even remotely so.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Toronto can sign Fluery, whoever that is.

Habs might sign former 1st overall pick and Stanley Cup champion Fleury if ever Price seems to be out for the season.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Ya their defence is the problem. Muzzin and Gio are OLD and not ideal for a 82 game season + long playoffs; Brodie and Reilly are good; but one dimensional in their own ways; Liligren and Sandin are conversely too young/inexperienced. Theres a mismatch in their peaking at the right time. Its not like they are former top 4 picks who have faster development curves. With their big 4 taking that much cap; they have to make do with it; but its not a championship caliber D-core.
I agree. I think it’s a problem for both Toronto and Edmonton. Just looking at Colorado I’d probably take three of their D (Makar, Toews and Byram) over any D on Toronto or Edmonton. And then they have Girard too. Now the D might not be such a big issue if you have a Vezina level goalie like Shesterkin or Vasy, but if not then it’s a big weakness imo.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I agree. I think it’s a problem for both Toronto and Edmonton. Just looking at Colorado I’d probably take three of their D (Makar, Toews and Byram) over any D on Toronto or Edmonton. And then they have Girard too. Now the D might not be such a big issue if you have a Vezina level goalie like Shesterkin or Vasy, but if not then it’s a big weakness imo.

I don't think Toronto or Edmonton's weakness is there D, particularly Toronto I think their D while it could better is pretty solid.

I think Rielly, Brodie, Muzzin, Sandin, Lilly and Giordano is a pretty good top 6

I think Toronto and Edmonton's problem is one team has Mike Smith and the other has Jack Campbell and neither are good enough.

both need to address their goaltending

Reactions: Gilles Meloche

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I don't think Toronto or Edmonton's weakness is there D, particularly Toronto I think their D while it could better is pretty solid.

I think Rielly, Brodie, Muzzin, Sandin, Lilly and Giordano is a pretty good top 6

I think Toronto and Edmonton's problem is one team has Mike Smith and the other has Jack Campbell and neither are good enough.

both need to address their goaltending
I agree that Toronto’s D is pretty good. But you’re competing with the Colorado’s and Tampa’s to win a Cup. They either need elite goaltending or elite D imo. Preferably both. Tampa and NYR have a big advantage right now with goaltending. And Colorado has a big advantage on D.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
it's semantics, you didn't answer the question

...and therein lies the rub; your fantastic/damn good #2C is a detriment to the team because he makes too much money, therefore costing you other assets in other critical areas because the team can't afford them against the Cap...you cannot discount that in any evaluation of Tavares...

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I agree that Toronto’s D is pretty good. But you’re competing with the Colorado’s and Tampa’s to win a Cup. They either need elite goaltending or elite D imo. Preferably both.

I mean that defense was 2 INCREDIBLY stupid plays by Kerfoot away from beating Tampa.

the defense has nothing to do with his stupid back pass

and the defense had NOTHING to do with him choosing to hi stick headman and put his team down 5 on 3.

They didn't lose because of defense

they lost because Campbell wasn't good enough and Kerfoot decided to be an idiot in game 6

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I mean that defense was 2 INCREDIBLY stupid plays by Kerfoot away from beating Tampa.

the defense has nothing to do with his stupid back pass

and the defense had NOTHING to do with him choosing to hi stick headman and put his team down 5 on 3.

They didn't lose because of defense

they lost because Campbell wasn't good enough and Kerfoot decided to be an idiot in game 6
Yes. But that was just the first round. To win multiple rounds and beat Colorado they’d need either elite D or an elite goalie imo. I mean Edmonton just got swept by Colorado even with Colorado having pretty mediocre goaltending.
Makar, Toews, Byram and Girard gives them a pretty big advantage over a good defense like Toronto’s. Elite goaltending can help bridge that gap.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
...and therein lies the rub; your fantastic/damn good #2C is a detriment to the team because he makes too much money, therefore costing you other assets in other critical areas because the team can't afford them against the Cap...you cannot discount that in any evaluation of Tavares...

What has that contract cost them that they haven't been able to replace or upgrade on?

Hyman? nope they got Bunting at about 83% less and he did more than Hyman ever did in Toronto

Brtown? nope that was the zaitsev contract that did that.

Johnsson? not really they replaced him with Kase and he did a great job.

Kapanen? there is a question as to if he will get qualified so not him either.

what has the Tavares cost the Leafs that they have not been able to replace?

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
But It's not unfair, when the goalie plays like shit, he gets shit on simply as that.

Literally don't go 0-5 in games where you can win a series.

Don't give up 3 goals on 8 OT shots.

Literally don't do those things and we aren't having this conversation

As far as I'm aware that has not been reported

We're the OT shots just this year or is that including the game 5 & 6 games against Montreal?

Cause neither of those goals were Camble's fault. Like at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad