Dreger: No significant back and forth between Campbell and the Leafs, mentions Fluery as an option

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Dreger on the instagators podcast today said that while the Leafs have interest in keep Campbell, that has of today there has been no significant back and forth between the Leafs and Campbell's camp.

Dreger also mentioned Fluery as an option for the Leafs on a short term deal given the leaked trade between Chicago and Toronto that would have seen Fluery and Hagel end up in Toronto.

I personally don't think Jack Campbell is coming back, we are about 3.5 weeks from free agency if The Leafs really wanted to bring Campbell back, or if Campbell really wanted to come back they would be talking by now.

At this point it sounds like they are talking about talking if you aren't exchanging numbers by now to me that's a sign Campbell is probably gone and I'm OK with that in fact I'd prefer it.

Fluery would be a great addition, a fantastic, although he wouldn't be the top choice on my list because of his age but he'd be in my top 3 for sure even at his age, Fluery is a proven winner and the Leafs need that. they need somebody that can close it out when they get a chance, something Campbell has proven he can't do.

I don't see Fluery as the most likely but I'd be all for it.

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
don't think leads can afford a a downgrade in goaltending next year. If that's the case expert another 1st round exit

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
If we didnt already sign Martin as our backup for the next two seasons Id have considered Campbell for the roll. O well, no biggie...

tkb81

Mar 15, 2009
you gotta think fleury will want at least 4-5 on a 1 year deal ... unless he's like mathews and takes a discount .. oh wait .. nm .. i mean tavares , oppsie , i mean marner .. haha shit .. okay i mean like Gio .. their we go i found one

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Depends on the cap costs. But if the cost is the same then Campbell is who Dibas should sign over Fluery.

Reactions: teddygmr

tkb81

Mar 15, 2009
I'd easily pay Fluery 5 million
i love flower but at this point .. i think the leafs need a younger guy who can stick around for a few years and provide some stability ... or maybe have him as a 1 a 1b , type situation and ride him out in the playoffs ... but you also have to wonder if he even would want to go to the leafs .. where goalies have gone to die the last decade or so ... most of the leaf nation unfairly targets the goalie

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
No he shouldn't he should sign the goalie that's won
Leaf’s losing these last couple years in round one isn’t Campbell’s fault. The trouble signing him he likely wants term with his five per, which his play says he deserves. Fluery would be one and done. Got Matthews for one more year (maybe two if not traded before he’s a UFA) so going for one year with Fluery might be a wise move. I still think Campbell is the better goalie right now though.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
i love flower but at this point .. i think the leafs need a younger guy who can stick around for a few years and provide some stability ... or maybe have him as a 1 a 1b , type situation and ride him out in the playoffs ... but you also have to wonder if he even would want to go to the leafs .. where goalies have gone to die the last decade or so ... most of the leaf nation unfairly targets the goalie

But It's not unfair, when the goalie plays like shit, he gets shit on simply as that.

Literally don't go 0-5 in games where you can win a series.

Don't give up 3 goals on 8 OT shots.

Literally don't do those things and we aren't having this conversation

Wasn't it reported that Campebell's camp wanted somewhere in the range of 3 years, $5 million per?

If I am the Devils, I'd pay him that easily

As far as I'm aware that has not been reported

tkb81

Mar 15, 2009
But It's not unfair, when the goalie plays like shit, he gets shit on simply as that.

Literally don't go 0-5 in games where you can win a series.

Don't give up 3 goals on 8 OT shots.

Literally don't do those things and we aren't having this conversation
or and im just saying or .. .the 40 million + in forwards could score a few more goals ... and well that defense is nothing really to be proud of ... doesn't scream stanley cup to me ... take a look at the D core the last two teams left ...

Reactions: Oryxo and Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
or and im just saying or .. .the 40 million + in forwards could score a few more goals ... and well that defense is nothing really to be proud of ... doesn't scream stanley cup to me ... take a look at the D core the last two teams left ...
IMO Dubas looks for a scapegoat after every failed round one. This year it’s Campbell.

Reactions: Oryxo

tkb81

Mar 15, 2009
IMO Dubas looks for a scapegoat after every failed round one. This year it’s Campbell.
i actually thought this was the year they make it past the first round as well .. and as much as i love my team .. my hate for the leafs is a close second .. so it hurts to give potential praise .. haha

Reactions: Fatass

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Leaf’s losing these last couple years in round one isn’t Campbell’s fault. The trouble signing him he likely wants term with his five per, which his play says he deserves. Fluery would be one and done. Got Matthews for one more year (maybe two if not traded before he’s a UFA) so going for one year with Fluery might be a wise move. I still think Campbell is the better goalie right now though.

No his play does not say he deserves that.

If his play said he deserved that he wouldn't have pissed away a 3-1 lead to Montreal.

If his play said he deserved it, he would not have spit in Tampa's face and handed the series to them after they did EVERYTHING they could possibly do to hand it to him for 6 games

Vasi played the worst hockey if his playoff career, possibly his career in general for 6 games and Campbell failed.

If his play said he deserved it he wouldn't have 5 saves on 8b OT shots over the last 2 years

Literally don't do these things and we aren't having this conversation.

but he has done all these things.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Thing is they did.

Matthews had 9 points
Marner had 8
Nylander7
Tavares 6 would have been 7 if Holl wasn't an idiot
Rielly had 6

the big boys combined for 36 points in 7 games

they did perform

Jack shit the bed in games 2, 4 and 6

he didn't

tkb81

Mar 15, 2009
Thing is they did.

Matthews had 9 points
Marner had 8
Nylander7
Tavares 6 would have been 7 if Holl wasn't an idiot
Rielly had 6

the big boys combined for 36 points in 7 games

they did perform

Jack shit the bed in games 2, 4 and 6

he didn't

and that defence ? or are we just ignoring that part .. (just like dubas haha)

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
and that defence ? or are we just ignoring that part .. (just like dubas haha)

youi said the 40+ million dollar core needed to show up, the fact they combined for 36 points in 7 games says they did show up.

The guy that had an 897 save% and lost did not

tkb81

Mar 15, 2009
youi said the 40+ million dollar core needed to show up, the fact they combined for 36 points in 7 games says they did show up.

The guy that had an 897 save% and lost did not
again .. ignoring the rest of my post where i spoke about defence ... your just going to plug a different goalie in their with that mediocre defence and complain again next season ..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad