Dreger: No significant back and forth between Campbell and the Leafs, mentions Fluery as an option

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
He's not for sale, not at all... but just for fun, what would Toronto fans be willing to offer for Shesterkin? Great cap, great goalie.
Shersterkin is going nowhere. But could the Leafs pry Demko from Vancouver? A team that, If Rutherford does a rebuild, wouldn’t want a great goalie stealing games.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I wouldn't mind MAF in a go for it, all or nothing, year. Especially if they can't find a long term solution anywhere (like Lou did when traded for Freddy 5 or 6 years ago). They just have to convince him to come. But the priority is to find another Freddy Andersen, I just don't know who that might be.

Look Up

Don't be a scan tool
Oct 3, 2013
Dwayne Roloson won a Cup?
He did get his team to the SCF though.
Tim Thomas did win one at age 37 but he’s pretty much viewed as the exception rather than the rule.
I think if I was going the Fleury route I’d want a good young goalie with upside to play as part of a tandem with him.
No, he didn't, but since the Cup is not the goal in Toronto, winning a series is, so an aging goalie will work just fine.

Roloson got close again in the ECF in game 7 - a 1-0 loss to the Bruins in 2011.

He also got respect in the handshake line, so there's also that for aging goalies outperforming expectations..

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I agree it's time to move on from Campbell, but when it comes to the players that get paid to make the difference, those players didn't perform in the winner-take-all game, just like in previous years. That is a fact. Leafs fans keep turning a blind eye to it, and like to blame the goalie. That's what they did before Campbell, and that is what they will do after Campbell.

The reason for that is because they did perform, those players that you are refering to had 36 points in 7 games combined.

You want to look beyond Campbell and his 897 save % you can certainly do that but don't look at the big boys because again they combined for 36 points in 7 games and it would have been 37 if Justin Holl didn't take a goal away from John Tavares.

You want to look beyond Campbell and his 897 save%? OK let's do that.

Where was Kerfoot at? other than being directly responsible for 2 of Tampa's 4 goals in game 6, if you want to give Campbell a pass then you CAN NOT give it to Kerfoot.

Where was Engvall at? It's true he did have a 3 point game but 2 of those came on empty net goals.

Where was Mikyehev at? He got the 2 empty net goals but beyond that he didn't do jack shit.

Where was Bunting at? nominated for rookie of the year and rightfully so but didn't do jack shit in the playoffs.

Where was the support from the guys lower in the lineup? It wasn't there.

If you want to look beyond Campbell and his 897 save% then you need to look at the support guys lower in the lineup not the big boys, it was the support guys that didn't show up.

All that being said fact still remains 897 is NOT good enough.

Reactions: Gilles Meloche

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
He's not taking backup money
You're replying to a guy whose schtick is posting trade proposals that grotesquely favor the Canucks, and posting ironic pictures of Jim Benning in order to mine likes from all of the members of the death cult who can't move past the fact that Benning is gone and blame him for all of their adolescent disappointments.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
I think Campbell is too soft mentally to take on a starter's workload - let alone carry a team all the way to the finals/cup.

The goalie market is pretty weak this year honestly. If I'm TOR, I'd probably go for a guy like Varlomov. Only 1 year left so not a huge gamble.

Fleury is interesting too.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Shersterkin is going nowhere. But could the Leafs pry Demko from Vancouver? A team that, If Rutherford does a rebuild, wouldn’t want a great goalie stealing games.
I know that, which is why I said he's not getting moved. But i was just curious as to what Toronto fans would offer.

It's not like a proposal here has any bearings irl.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
I dunno bro what you said has been beaten to death alot and more of on the annoying side at this point.
What Leafs did is nothing different than other teams have done in the past signing their star players to high percentage of the cap. the idea is the cap is suppose to rise every year turning their contracts into more of a bargain. who was to expect covid putting us into a flat cap era
Even with Tavares signing being a huge mistake if the cap were to rise the expected 2-3m every offseason like Bettman was saying there would likely be no issues in Leafs land and less people would be saying what you are.
What did I say???

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
So you're giving 40 million a pass lol

So you're giving 40 million a pass
We don't need to perform cause we shouldn't even be in a game 7 lol

It's not an either-or situation.

The Leafs core forwards can be critiqued for not having a good game 7 and Campbell can be critiqued for having a poor sv% over the course of the entire series. One of those stands out as a wider problem than the other to me, and an easier fix.

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017

The Leafs core forwards can be critiqued for not having a good game 7 and Campbell can be critiqued for having a poor sv% over the course of the entire series. One of those stands out as a wider problem than the other to me, and an easier fix.
Really cause you've had 4 goaltenders and they keep getting blamed

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
The reason for that is because they did perform, those players that you are refering to had 36 points in 7 games combined.

You want to look beyond Campbell and his 897 save % you can certainly do that but don't look at the big boys because again they combined for 36 points in 7 games and it would have been 37 if Justin Holl didn't take a goal away from John Tavares.

You want to look beyond Campbell and his 897 save%? OK let's do that.

Where was Kerfoot at? other than being directly responsible for 2 of Tampa's 4 goals in game 6, if you want to give Campbell a pass then you CAN NOT give it to Kerfoot.

Where was Engvall at? It's true he did have a 3 point game but 2 of those came on empty net goals.

Where was Mikyehev at? He got the 2 empty net goals but beyond that he didn't do jack shit.

Where was Bunting at? nominated for rookie of the year and rightfully so but didn't do jack shit in the playoffs.

Where was the support from the guys lower in the lineup? It wasn't there.

If you want to look beyond Campbell and his 897 save% then you need to look at the support guys lower in the lineup not the big boys, it was the support guys that didn't show up.

All that being said fact still remains 897 is NOT good enough.
It's not so much giving Campbell a pass, but he did get them to game 7, and then had a solid 2-goals-allowed performance. He gave the team a chance to win. Scoring only 1 goal in game 7, is
not a solid performance-and this keeps getting glossed over and ignored.

Maybe they should have won the series earlier, but at the most important time, when the big money players didn't show up... Campbell did. It's playing the "but Campbell" card in an attempt to completely absolve the team-drivers of their poor game 7 performance. When you have a lopsided cap structure and skimp at goaltending, it's disingenuous to blame the goaltending for not winning the series, especially when the players getting paid to be the difference makers go MIA in a one game winner take all.

But Campbell.

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
I don't think any of the Leafs recent goaltenders have showed the team anything to regret. It's certainly been an organizational weakness for some time.
If it's Been and organizational weakness then it isn't an easy fix as you suggest. Especially if you're spending half you cap on 4 forwards who haven't gotten it done

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If it's Been and organizational weakness then it isn't an easy fix as you suggest. Especially if you're spending half you cap on 4 forwards who haven't gotten it done

The Avs got their starter from an offseason trade and spend just 1 mil more on their goaltending tandem than the Leafs.

Finding the right guy is certainly a challenge, but not exactly impossible to deal with either.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It's not so much giving Campbell a pass, but he did get them to game 7, and then had a solid 2-goals-allowed performance. He gave the team a chance to win. Scoring only 1 goal in game 7, is
not a solid performance-and this keeps getting glossed over and ignored.

Maybe they should have won the series earlier, but at the most important time, when the big money players didn't show up... Campbell did. It's playing the "but Campbell" card in an attempt to completely absolve the team-drivers of their poor game 7 performance. When you have a lopsided cap structure and skimp at goaltending, it's disingenuous to blame the goaltending for not winning the series, especially when the players getting paid to be the difference makers go MIA in a one game winner take all.

But Campbell.

The issues with Campbell also go beyond just the 7ngane playoffs. He had a very shakey end to the end of the regular season.

I wouldn't lay the entire blame for the Leafs playoff loss at his feet either. But imo any series wide analysis will show the Leafs goaltending was an issue at the very least.

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
The Avs got their starter from an offseason trade and spend just 1 mil more on their goaltending tandem than the Leafs.

Finding the right guy is certainly a challenge, but not exactly impossible to deal with either.
The avalanche are not relying on goaltending at all. They Just need a netminder to not shit the bed. The leafs don't have the forward depth or the defense of the avalanche to where they pick a goalie in the offseason and win a cup

CanHeDoIt99

Mar 14, 2022
Fleury would probably be a 1 year sell job from the Leafs on a lower AAV to chase a cup. I doubt he goes for it because he can probably do that elsewhere reasonably and get a bit more money in the process.

Njfj

Feb 14, 2015
Fleury is the style of goalie that would be run out of town in Toronto. Is he good? You bet. But, he can also single handedly lose you games. He is an unconventional goalie and it can drive you crazy sometimes.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Fleury would probably be a 1 year sell job from the Leafs on a lower AAV to chase a cup. I doubt he goes for it because he can probably do that elsewhere reasonably and get a bit more money in the process.

I don't think it would be a tough sell job for any player, not just a goalie but any player, now in the case of a goalie it should be even easier because the pitch would be something along the lines of .

"We won 54 games last year, we put up a 115 points, we have a 60 goal center, we have great wingers in Marner and Nylander, we have a fantastic #2 center in Tavares and we have a solid top 4 defense.

" this team is a goaltender away from breaking through, you can be the difference, come be the difference."

and that would be true they need a goalie that's what it is they need a guy that can give them 1 or 2 extra saves they have everything else.

If it's a forward you look at them and you say

"look we have a hole in your top 6, you come in here you are either going to play with Matthews and Marner, or you are going to play with Tavares and Nylander, you are going to hgave a chance to tear it up on a team that finished 4th in the entire league and #2 in offense

"you are going to play with either a 60 goal center and a 97 point winger"

"or an 80 point winger and a 76 point center."

asnd if you ask me why I think there will be a hole in the top 6

it's because I expect Kerfoot to be traded.

I personally want them to sign Kubalik if Chicago decides not to qualify him.

I think Kubalik Matthews Marner

or Kubalik Tavares Nylander

would be fantastic

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

The problem with looking at overall save percentage for such a small sample size like a 7 game series is one bad game can completely throw the entire stat line out of whack. In Game 4, Campbell got yanked after giving up 5 goals on 16 shots, clearly an awful game. However, Campbell had a .914 save pct. (187 shots, 171 saves) in the other 6 games of the series.

So on the surface his .897 makes it seem like he had a bad series, the reality is he had a decent series with a couple of bad games thrown in there (particularly Game 4) to really hurt his stats.

The opposite is true of Matthews. One good game (Game 1) makes the series look a lot more productive overall. He had 3 points, including 2 goals, in Game 1. The next six games he had 6 points but only 2 goals. One could argue just as easily that a guy who scored 60 goals on the season was disappointing (production-wise) over the final 6 games of the series with only 2 goals in 6 games.

Njfj

Feb 14, 2015
The problem with looking at overall save percentage for such a small sample size like a 7 game series is one bad game can completely throw the entire stat line out of whack. In Game 4, Campbell got yanked after giving up 5 goals on 16 shots, clearly an awful game. However, Campbell had a .914 save pct. (187 shots, 171 saves) in the other 6 games of the series.

So on the surface his .897 makes it seem like he had a bad series, the reality is he had a decent series with a couple of bad games thrown in there (particularly Game 4) to really hurt his stats.

The opposite is true of Matthews. One good game (Game 1) makes the series look a lot more productive overall. He had 3 points, including 2 goals, in Game 1. The next six games he had 6 points but only 2 goals. One could argue just as easily that a guy who scored 60 goals on the season was disappointing (production-wise) over the final 6 games of the series with only 2 goals in 6 games.

Your argument makes more statistical sense if you take out his best and worse game and then recalculate his save percentage.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I kind of like the idea of a Fleury - Blackwood/Samsonov tandem. Where they take on the next Jack Campbell at a lower cap figure and try and develop them into someone that could take over for Fleury a year or two down the road.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I kind of like the idea of a Fleury - Blackwood/Samsonov tandem. Where they take on the next Jack Campbell at a lower cap figure and try and develop them into someone that could take over for Fleury a year or two down the road.
How much room do the leafs have for a new goalie, or two?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad