No one cares about Canucks in Vancouver...

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Honestly, can you name more than a handful of players over the 5 seasons Benning has been GM and say that you care about them/like them?

Just so much unlikeable trash.

That is a good point that has to be considered before some here label Vancouver a bad hockey market. Vancouver is still in the top half of NHL attendance figures despite going on 4 years no playoffs and 5 years of Jim Benning putting together a very unlikable roster. So many poor to mediocre unlikable veterans on this team.

Fans care about Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat. After that you could jettison the whole bunch of them and no one would really care. Most I would be happy to see them go.

Reactions: PM

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Honestly, can you name more than a handful of players over the 5 seasons Benning has been GM and say that you care about them/like them?

Of course: Pettersson Boeser Horvat Edler Tanev Baertchi Hughes Gaudette Woo Lock Goldobin Huttster

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
Of course: Pettersson Boeser Horvat Edler Tanev Baertchi Hughes Gaudette Woo Lock Goldobin Huttster
3 are not from this regime tenure, 3 didn't play a game in the NHL, and one is one of the most hated Canucks right now (because some people are preaching the gospel of Benning). So, you got 4. Try again.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Huh? North America includes Mexico and the US, last time I checked. Most US cities have lower average salaries than us. I think you meant to compare Vancouver to New York and SF?

No Vancouver is lower than most:

List of Median household income of cities in Canada - Wikipedia

Median household income in Vancouver is about $US 55,000.

That's below places like Phoenix, Denver, Charlotte, Austin, etc.

You might be compare housing cost which Vancouver is comparable to New York/ San Fran but income isn't even in the same league.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
You guys are all missing the real reason.

Rogers or Bell charges through the nose for sports channels for pubs.

They literally charge per seat. So perhaps the owner is only paying for Bell's TSN and not Rogers' for their channels.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Vancouver is not a true sports-town/city. We're really not that passionate about our sports. The Giants haven't been doing well at the gate. The Lions haven't been doing well at the gate. The Canadians have been doing well at the gate, but this is a single A ballclub and you can go to the game for the price of a movie ticket. The White Caps seem to be doing pretty well relative to the rest of the league but the experience is night and day vs the experience you get going to a Sounders game.

But like Pastor quoted, the Canucks actually did really well with their season ticket renewals.

This is true and I’ve been saying this for awhile. I find it hilarious when people want the MLB or NBA here. This is absolutely not a sports town. We will NEVER be a Boston/Chicago/Detroit/New York.

We will never be a Toronto even. This city sucks if you’re a diehard for sports.

Reactions: F A N

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

This is a really great point. They also shipped out a number of my favorite players (or players with any kind of personality) early on in Benning's time here that definitely left a sour taste in my mouth.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Apathy.

With very little to care about on this roster, why would the casual fan be concerned with the Canucks?

Sure, VAN is still making money at the gate, but that is a small subset of the entire potential fanbase. They lost the crowd here a long time ago.

When people don’t believe in your product, they don’t rationalize high expenditures. Has nothing to do with being a sports town or not. If the product is worth it, and there is a willingness to pay, it can be 2011 again... but it is far, far from that right now.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Apathy.

With very little to care about on this roster, why would the casual fan be concerned with the Canucks?

Sure, VAN is still making money at the gate, but that is a small subset of the entire potential fanbase. They lost the crowd here a long time ago.

When people don’t believe in your product, they don’t rationalize high expenditures. Has nothing to do with being a sports town or not. If the product is worth it, and there is a willingness to pay, it can be 2011 again... but it is far, far from that right now.

Agree with most of this.

People can glamour it up all they want, but the core of the situation is VERY simple: if the product is shit, no one will buy it. Period.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Apathy.

You're missing the point. Season ticket renewals or casual fans isn't an issue for the Leafs over the past decade and more and they have been bad for most of the decade and more. It's sort of like New Jersey. If you need to win the Cup to sell out the building it's a problem.

Reactions: Nomobo

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Apathy.

You replace incredible personalities (Bieksa, Luongo, Burrows) and a great mix of admirable stand up guys (Sedins, Hamhuis, Edler, Malholtra) with prickly/egotistical idiots (Miller, Prust, Gudbranson, Sutter) and irrelevant NHL trash players that is the worst NHL club over a 3 year period....and one wonders why no one cares about this team that's been built?

Pettersson/Boeser are the only two pieces that Benning has been responsible for that I care an ounce about. It's been 5 years.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
You're missing the point. Season ticket renewals or casual fans isn't an issue for the Leafs over the past decade and more and they have been bad for most of the decade and more. It's sort of like New Jersey. If you need to win the Cup to sell out the building it's a problem.
Toronto though has a much bigger population to draw from. Suspect they might be able to even support two NHL teams (though I doubt two bad teams).

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
3 are not from this regime tenure, 3 didn't play a game in the NHL, and one is one of the most hated Canucks right now (because some people are preaching the gospel of Benning). So, you got 4. Try again.
Who gives a **** what regime their from?

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I've lived through:

Bure/Linden years (elementary)
Messier (junior high/start of high school)
Naslund/Bertuzzi (throughout high school)
Luongo/Sedins (post secondary/early to mid 20's)
The down years (mid to late 20's/early 30's)

Remember the love affair Calgary got on their 2004 run? Media/opposing fans praising the team
Remember the love affair Vancouver got on their 2011 run? Media/opposing fans hating the team

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Haha I have a hard time finding people to come to games with me for free as a season ticket holder, when my regular asks are busy that is. Many people just don’t care when we aren’t good, but I mean, I still think we end up with 13k or so in the stadium each night.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I've lived through:

Bure/Linden years (elementary)
Messier (junior high/start of high school)
Naslund/Bertuzzi (throughout high school)
Luongo/Sedins (post secondary/early to mid 20's)
The down years (mid to late 20's/early 30's)

Remember the love affair Calgary got on their 2004 run? Media/opposing fans praising the team
Remember the love affair Vancouver got on their 2011 run? Media/opposing fans hating the team
Cook, Don - Canucks We're With You (vocal) b/w Canucks We're With You (instrumental) (picture sleeve)

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
So where is the problem? Lots of immigrants from non-hockey countries?

Tickets too expensive for a below average product in a market where most people have very little disposable income.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Then they don't have the right to call themselves Canucks fans when things get better.

A fan is for life, not just the good times.

You have under 5,000 posts here discussing the team, so by that metric you aren’t THAT big of a Canucks fan.

See how dumb it is to dictate who is a fan and who isn’t?

Reactions: The Drop

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad