No one cares about Canucks in Vancouver...

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Do you really think everyone who went to that international sporting event is from Victoria?
I wasn’t at that game (going by what was said in the particular GDT) so I can’t say with 100% certainty if it was like during the 70s at the Pacific Coliseum (when I did personally witness) where a good chunk of the people at the games were fans of other teams ( was really bad when the Hans were in town and it seemed like 70+% of the fans were Habfans). I don’t have any reason to doubt them ( as it was hardly like they were new posters who I had never interacted with before)

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I've always assumed the Canucks were a highly corporate draw. So yeah,you have reasonable season ticket renewals out of companies that just rubber stamp the expense, but you also have a ton of empty seats because they don't always show up. Meanwhile, many legit fans can't really afford to go to many games given the general cost of games and, more broadly, living in the city. Basically ... yes the people who have money in Vancouver could generally not give a rats ass about hockey.

Reactions: Hit the post

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I've always assumed the Canucks were a highly corporate draw. So yeah,you have reasonable season ticket renewals out of companies that just rubber stamp the expense, but you also have a ton of empty seats because they don't always show up. Meanwhile, many legit fans can't really afford to go to many games given the general cost of games and, more broadly, living in the city. Basically ... yes the people who have money in Vancouver could generally not give a rats ass about hockey.
Even in 2012,when the sellout streak was still going...It seemed like more people in the lower bowl were more interested in their phones than the game.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
As an outsider who lived in vancouver for 20 years( okay. East vancouver, port moody,poco and 4 blocks from the arena). Vancouver has good loyal can base and then a lot of fans who only when the Canucks are winning.

Why? Unlike Alberta and a few other places there are a lot more things to waste your money on instead of a losing team. Before you bring the leads into the argument something like 80% of their tickets are owned by companies or used for business reasons.

I lived in vancouver from 71 till 80 and then 91 till 2003 and I have not seen anything change from the fringe fans. It is not only the canucks. Most sporting teams in the lower mainland live it when they are winning but the moment they start to lose they look elsewhere to spend their time and money

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
You have under 5,000 posts here discussing the team, so by that metric you aren’t THAT big of a Canucks fan.

See how dumb it is to dictate who is a fan and who isn’t?
Not actually being in Canada and having home start times at 3 am does sort of make a difference. Many times I've stayed up through the night to watch the Canucks. How many of your so-called "true" fans can say that?

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Not actually being in Canada and having home start times at 3 am does sort of make a difference. Many times I've stayed up through the night to watch the Canucks. How many of your so-called "true" fans can say that?

The true fans in BC live here, so why would they be able to say that? Arguing who is a true fan and who isn't is just a pointless argument. People can cheer for the team however they like - you're not going to find it different anywhere else.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
people in Vancouver are not stupid. They have better things to do with their lives than subject themselves to jim benning's clown show.

this is exactly it. i'm imaging what goes through the brain of a casual fan: i'm going to invest 2+ hours on a regular basis to watch elias pettersson, maybe boeser, and sometimes horvat collectively do three to five awesome things that together add up to maybe two and a half minutes of enjoyment, including replays?

i'm going to sit through lou eriksson not trying, granlund not knowing how to try, gudbranson not knowing how to do a mohawk turn, pouliot playing god knows what sport he thinks he's playing, benning talking like a pig farmer, constant trans-mountain pipeline ads, which together probably add up to an hour of my day, to enjoy two and a half minutes of hockey?

last year, i said on this board, "can you believe i have friends who spent entire weeknights in giant crowds downtown watching the giant screen who don't even know who boeser is?" so i'm not surprised that they still don't know who boeser is and have also never heard of petey. and what that really means isn't just that they're not listening to team 1040 or watching highlights or reading the sports page or whatever. that means that when they go to work nobody talks about the canucks. when they're making small talk at the grocery store, nobody talks about the canucks. as the OP says, when they go to the bar, it isn't showing the canucks. when they see those ads on the sides of buses, they don't even look to see who that guy is. they just see canucks, turn off the part of the brain that reads, and go on with their day.

The Athletic,Sep 2018...
"Earlier this month, the Canucks’ season-ticket renewal rate crept over 90 per cent and into the top 10 in the league. The NHL average is less than 80 per cent.
For the Canucks, it was more than a six per cent increase year over year, which is good for fifth in annual growth.
It qualifies as momentum.
The 10 per cent of season tickets which weren’t renewed have already been sold and then some. There will be fewer available single-game tickets this season than last."

same as when we were going through the recession and rich people kept buying houses. it'll turn around and they will be worth something someday.

Then they don't have the right to call themselves Canucks fans when things get better.

A fan is for life, not just the good times.

is this the sports fan version of "respect the office"?

Reactions: Hollywood Burrows

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
To be honest, I'm just waiting for Mike Gillis to be named Seattle GM before I start caring about hockey again.

The Vancouver Canucks are an organization that simply farm money from their fanbase while not giving a damn about the product and doing the scummiest things to keep the money coming in. I will always love and support the team but this ownership and management group can go f*** themselves.

Reactions: Brock Olli Juolevi

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki

Bullshit. My parents had season tickets from 1970 until they died. went 30+ games a year. My friends who buy my season tickets all have money, they live and die Canucks. All of them are multi millionaires. Many are pissed about the stupid prices for the tickets, and in fact after 48 years I gave up 2 seats this year. But not one of the people who buy my tickets are bandwagon fans or indifferent.

The people I know who have done well are not mindless drones. Not one of them is where they are today because they inherited money. They are all competent people in their fields, and are careful with their money. they love hockey. And the Canucks have priced themselves out of the market, with a shitty product the last 4 - 5 years, and still very expensive tickets.

The only thing that is real hope for the Canucks is EP. Period.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
Love the Canucks. Hate their owners and previous owners.

Thus I'm torn about the Canucks. They allowed me to live vicariously through Bure, Naslund, Sedins, Pettersson. I also realized their owners were those media monopolists Arthur Griffiths, carpebagging cell phone monopolists the McCaws, and now those slumlord housing oligarchs the Aquilinis.

So I'll watch the games on tv. But I only go to the games when my own (white collar) criminal bosses exploit the entertainment 1/2 writeoff loophole and use company funds to purchase tickets.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
It's weird. I don't have a lot of friends who are Canucks or even sports fans. But this team will be huge again when they're competing for a conference title. Vancouver fans as a whole can be pretty uppity about a lot of things, and a middling-at-best hockey team isn't part of anyone's collective consciousness.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Bull****. My parents had season tickets from 1970 until they died. went 30+ games a year. My friends who buy my season tickets all have money, they live and die Canucks. All of them are multi millionaires. Many are pissed about the stupid prices for the tickets, and in fact after 48 years I gave up 2 seats this year. But not one of the people who buy my tickets are bandwagon fans or indifferent.

The people I know who have done well are not mindless drones. Not one of them is where they are today because they inherited money. They are all competent people in their fields, and are careful with their money. they love hockey. And the Canucks have priced themselves out of the market, with a ****ty product the last 4 - 5 years, and still very expensive tickets.

The only thing that is real hope for the Canucks is EP. Period.

Agreed. 50 bucks for nosebleeds to watch a shite team is way too much. I can barely bring myself to watch a game on TV when Pettersson hasn't been playing due to the sheer boredom. I just have it on in the background while I use my time for more worthwhile endeavors.

oyvey

meet you at the bottom if there really is one
Jan 6, 2010
Toronto
I always found the earmuffs kid who sits behind the road team's bench very representative of Canucks fans. Since the early 2010s, the Penguins and Blackhawks suddenly had hoards of road fans in the stands every time they were in town.

Difficult for me to say as while I visited many places. (though I’ve never been to Ottawa), I’ve only lived here for lengthy period of time. I wasn’t even aware that there were a considerable amount of OTHER team fans in Victoria though I’ve been there a bunch of times. (I couldn’t understand why they were booing Hughes in the World Junior games played there until I was told there were probably Flames or Oilers fans).
I grew up in Victoria. Like all government towns, it's a transient area where many residents aren't from there. I'd say, of NHL fans, 60% are Canucks fans, 20% are Oilers/Flames fans and the other 20 are fans of an Original 6 team.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I grew up in Victoria. Like all government towns, it's a transient area where many residents aren't from there. I'd say, of NHL fans, 60% are Canucks fans, 20% are Oilers/Flames fans and the other 20 are fans of an Original 6 team.
Sounds like what fans of the Sens have to put up with ( in addition to their cheap owner). Course, Melnyk pales in comparison to the damage Ballard did to the Leafs while he was owner.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Have been a fan since the very first season have seen it all and I'm still a fan players , coaches, management and owners come and go Canucks are still here and there will be cycles of lows highs and in between overall fans have been treated to very good runs over last 20 years maybe a little spoiled compared to previous eras.
NHL has changed as well more teams sports coverage that sells on negativity that can be extreme and that's not just Vancouver either.

Fans care some realize having lived watched it's best and worst and today is definitely not the worst makes me laugh at posters who didn't see parts of 70s or 80s and there is new blood with reason for optimism on the horizon , fairweather fickle fans will jump off and return that's never changed it's easy cheering winner people like easy.
One thing is certain fans should have a better overall appreciation that they have an NHL team to watch ask Quebec City or Winnipeg how much fun NHL is when your out no matter how poor a run your teams having.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Ten Cups in a row wouldn't wash the stink off this franchise. The rest of Vancouver is not refuge for losers why does anybody think it's okay at the rink?

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
Might be the effect of the high rate in which people move in and out of the city.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Ten Cups in a row wouldn't wash the stink off this franchise. The rest of Vancouver is not refuge for losers why does anybody think it's okay at the rink?
Ya right 1 cup and no one will remember the past 50 miserable years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->