No New Cba- Many teams will be happy to lose a few players!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boltsfan2029

Jul 8, 2002
In deleted threads
me2 said:
The Tampa GM may also be correct in that both sides may choose to negotiate to extent existing contracts to compensate for the lost year and we won't know for sure until that negotiation takes place.

Yes, he may be. One would think he has one or two reliable sources...

:)

AlexGodynyuk

Feb 3, 2005
Hmm, I don't think there really is a hard rule on it and basically it will be part of a CBA when/if one is signed.
If it's not part of the CBA, expect a lawsuit and if it does go to court, expect this year not to count on contracts as the precedent has been set (see Yashin).
Besides why should this count as a year of their contracts when the players are the ones being stopped from playing, hell I'm sure almost every one of them would go out there and play for the contract they have right now.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
Boltsfan2029 said:
Yes, he may be. One would think he has one or two reliable sources...

Jay Feaster doesn't know what he's talking about. The contracts are legally date-to-date and thus die during the lockout. if this wasn't the case Bettman wouldn't have said the other day how he respects the fact that the players are willing to forego salary to make this stand... if they were going to get their contract years back, he wouldn't have said this. not to mention Bob Clarke specifically did not buy-out Amonte and Leclair prior to the lockout because he would save money in the buy-out if the season was lost on those contracts.

PLUS the fact that has been mentioned concerning injured players getting compensation while they are injured during the lockout. If the contracts were in some sort of holding patter, this wouldn't be an issue at all as the money would be coming to them whenever the league started up again.

not to mention the fact that owners have thrown the PA a bone concerning lost salary by offering to give them some of the playoff money for this season. those contracts are dying and if this season is lost UFA's are going to be everywhere and we will have a pretty interesting situation for GM's looking at the market and being able to assemble completely new teams.

then again... Jay Feaster may still be in shock for the whole Pitkanen trade, one never knows.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
alexmorrison said:
Hmm, I don't think there really is a hard rule on it and basically it will be part of a CBA when/if one is signed.
If it's not part of the CBA, expect a lawsuit and if it does go to court, expect this year not to count on contracts as the precedent has been set (see Yashin).
Besides why should this count as a year of their contracts when the players are the ones being stopped from playing, hell I'm sure almost every one of them would go out there and play for the contract they have right now.

Yashin was a completely different situation. he was in breach of contract. that is not the case here.

Boilers*

I believe that the contracts are persuant to when the CBA is resolved. The contract goes into effect for the agreed duration from that point forward in calendar years.

Monty

Aug 31, 2004
There is an underlying assumption in this thread that it would benefit the players if the lockout year did not count as one year in the current contracts, and therefore, the NHLPA may negotiate in the CBA for the contracts to not have lost a year.

While there are plenty of players who would benefit to get the contract year count for next year (e.g., Hull's two-year contract), there are plenty of players who will be UFA if this year's contract counts this year, and even more of such players if the CBA reduces the UFA age by one year. While in the new NHL UFA status may not be quite as lucrative as it was before, it is more likely that a 29 year old UFA could get more in a new contract next year under the new CBA than whatever his contract was paying him as a RFA this year.

In short, within the NHLPA there is likely to be competing, conflicting interests in whether to negotiate to have this year's contracts count for next year. So the NHLPA may not negotiate aggressively to have this year's contracts count next year.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
This has been a big topic of debate in Vancouver, simply because if there is not something worked into the CBA we could lose Markus Naslund. So yes unless there is some type of negotiated settelement, the time on the contracts still ticks.

fan mao rong

Feb 6, 2003
port royal , pa
Visit site
Those who say, in effect, that contracts run by the date are correct. And the Player's Union can also hold out to have the contracts rolled forward. They could also hold out for back pay and demand to be paid for their time locked out. I wouldn't think they'd get either.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
Monty said:
While there are plenty of players who would benefit to get the contract year count for next year (e.g., Hull's two-year contract), there are plenty of players who will be UFA if this year's contract counts this year, and even more of such players if the CBA reduces the UFA age by one year. While in the new NHL UFA status may not be quite as lucrative as it was before, it is more likely that a 29 year old UFA could get more in a new contract next year under the new CBA than whatever his contract was paying him as a RFA this year.

not necessarily... the supply and demand equation for UFA's when this is all said and done is going to be very much in the owners favor. if half the league is lacking contracts, owners will have lots of options to fill in there holes and be able to get a better deal than they would in a normal offseason.

not to mention the fact that teams will be facing potentially dire revenue situations that will limit their ability to spend, and whatever the cap may or may not be at that point will affect how much teams can spend.

if i'm a player, i want to keep my contract from the old system as long as possible.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
vanlady said:
This has been a big topic of debate in Vancouver, simply because if there is not something worked into the CBA we could lose Markus Naslund. So yes unless there is some type of negotiated settelement, the time on the contracts still ticks.
With the plethora of free agents on the market, I am sure that the landscape of many teams will change drastically.

flybynite77

Mar 1, 2003
Visit site
Just wondering what happens to RFA's this off-season then? Will teams need to negotiate under the old CBA if there's no agreement in order to retain rights?

Boltsfan2029

Jul 8, 2002
In deleted threads
Jester said:
Jay Feaster doesn't know what he's talking about. The contracts are legally date-to-date and thus die during the lockout. if this wasn't the case Bettman wouldn't have said the other day how he respects the fact that the players are willing to forego salary to make this stand...

Negotiation. It's all about negotiation and striking bargains. Perhaps to get more of what it wants, the union will agree to give back those contract years. I'm willing to bet Mr. Feaster almost certainly knows just a bit more about what's being discussed than any of us do.

then again... Jay Feaster may still be in shock for the whole Pitkanen trade, one never knows.

Yes, it was quite a disappointment to have Ruslan Fedotenko play vital roles in winning the conference and then the Stanley Cup for the Bolts. Considering the league may cease to exist due to this CBA mess, I'd say that trade turned out pretty well for good old Jay, as it sure helped get a certain ring on his finger...

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
The Messenger said:
Owen Nolan had a special clause wriiten into his contract that says he gets an extra year added to his contract if the season is interupted by a lockout and shorter then 40 games ..

Why would he need such a special clause if Contracts did not continue to expire???

No that's what I said, they do expire during this lockout, unless a player has a clause in his contract OR it is part of the new CBA that the contracts don't run for this past season.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Contracts expire as normal during the lockout.

Otherwise, what is this talk about how much money the players are losing?

They wouldn't be losing a thing, clearly, if the clock wasn't ticking.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
Boltsfan2029 said:
I'm willing to bet Mr. Feaster almost certainly knows just a bit more about what's being discussed than any of us do.

Yes, it was quite a disappointment to have Ruslan Fedotenko play vital roles in winning the conference and then the Stanley Cup for the Bolts. Considering the league may cease to exist due to this CBA mess, I'd say that trade turned out pretty well for good old Jay, as it sure helped get a certain ring on his finger...

i'm willing to bet clarkie does as well... and the fact that EVERYONE but feaster has said that contracts will go the wayside. the owners want those contracts to go away, and if they cancel this season i would be absolutely shocked if they bring them back. they are going to get what they want.

get back to me in 5 years... on the value of rusty. if it wasn't him, someone else would have stepped up on that team. rusty's at best a third-line winger skill wise.

Lundmark17

Mar 3, 2004
Jester said:

Or he still has a Stanley Cup hang-over. Anyways the contracts are still running during the lockout.

Dave in LA

Chick Magnet
Jul 16, 2002
Visit site
I was under the assumption that the contracts are valid. Players lost a year off their contracts.

I, too, am happy that Checko will be off the roster for the Kings.

I think we will see a new NHL once play resumes. The teams that have drafted well the past 5 years and best prepared for this situation are going to be the powerhouses.

The Kings have done just that. They have a lot prospects that have been developing together as a team in Manchester. They have the money to sign free agents and prospects to make deals to help bolster their team.

What other teams besides the Kings do you think have been able to do this? Pitt, PHX are the teams I can think of.

Old Hickory

Dave in LA said:
I was under the assumption that the contracts are valid. Players lost a year off their contracts.

I, too, am happy that Checko will be off the roster for the Kings.

I think we will see a new NHL once play resumes. The teams that have drafted well the past 5 years and best prepared for this situation are going to be the powerhouses.

The Kings have done just that. They have a lot prospects that have been developing together as a team in Manchester. They have the money to sign free agents and prospects to make deals to help bolster their team.

What other teams besides the Kings do you think have been able to do this? Pitt, PHX are the teams I can think of.
Off the top of my head....

Washington, Nashville, Chicago, San jose

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
Jester said:
get back to me in 5 years... on the value of rusty. if it wasn't him, someone else would have stepped up on that team. rusty's at best a third-line winger skill wise.

And thats great how Pitkanen will have more value than Feds in 5 years. But the trade from the Lightning POV was done for the present and it worked out just fine with a cup win. Knowing the results, Jay Feaster will do that trade 100 times out of 100.

mooseOAK*

Monty said:
There is an underlying assumption in this thread that it would benefit the players if the lockout year did not count as one year in the current contracts, and therefore, the NHLPA may negotiate in the CBA for the contracts to not have lost a year.

In short, within the NHLPA there is likely to be competing, conflicting interests in whether to negotiate to have this year's contracts count for next year. So the NHLPA may not negotiate aggressively to have this year's contracts count next year.

I would guess that the players would love to have their current contracts extended another year. The owners aren't going to be falling all over themselves to lord cash on the players after this whole mess if for the only reason financially they will have taken a hit with this lockout and will have less cash to spend.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Hockeyfan02 said:
And thats great how Pitkanen will have more value than Feds in 5 years. But the trade from the Lightning POV was done for the present and it worked out just fine with a cup win. Knowing the results, Jay Feaster will do that trade 100 times out of 100.

Philly fans are always thinking about next year. ;)

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
Hockeyfan02 said:

i'd put money on you all getting the cup without feds and having pitkanen working the blue line... just a thought. bad trade is a bad trade. feds had a hot playoffs, so did druce a few years back.

he should have gotten more for that pick.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
as it stands presently, the players are losing this tear period. larry brooks argued this point in an arguement in one of his proplayer blasts a week or two ago. he thinks it scriminal the league is doing the lockout just to escape a year of bad contracts. he said if the league offered them the bone of getting their money back this season - maybe the players would talk. he had this whole system called "sliding contracts" - which just meant this years contracts next year. obviously it could be negotiated, but its not even a topic at this point. until you hear this is a topic standing in the way of a cba - the players lost the money. this was the point of a lockout, they arent merely holding the money for the players, they are taking it away permanently. those of you who think the players are getting the money back have missed the whole show here. thats what the players mean by saying " we're willing to give up a years salary for this". wouldnt mean much if they were all getting it back when they started up again.

Boltsfan2029

Jul 8, 2002
In deleted threads
Jester said:
i'm willing to bet clarkie does as well... and the fact that EVERYONE but feaster has said that contracts will go the wayside.

Well, I've only communicated personally with one GM about it, which is why I don't speak for any of the others. The quote I put earlier in the thread wasn't in the newspaper, it was one-on-one.

the owners want those contracts to go away, and if they cancel this season i would be absolutely shocked if they bring them back. they are going to get what they want.

I think it just depends -- it's a powerful bargaining tool. That's all I'm saying, that an NHL GM has stated it's something that will be worked out in the CBA. I'm not saying which way I think it will go or which way I'd like it to go and he didn't indicate which way he thought it would be or preferred it to be -- merely pointing out that while contracts may *technically* be running now, that is subject to change per the new CBA if that's part of the negotiations. It's not far fetched.

get back to me in 5 years... on the value of rusty.

I hope there's an NHL in five years to get back to you on. Be that as it may, by then, Rusty may be retired and Pitkanen may cost more than the Flyers can afford under the cap. Who knows?

if it wasn't him, someone else would have stepped up on that team. rusty's at best a third-line winger skill wise.

But this time it was him, and for a team that needed to win *now,* the deal worked and he was far better than a 3rd line winger when it counted most. Sometimes you look long term, sometimes you look short term. Perhaps our GM saw the demise of the league on the horizon & decided being the last team to have their names on the Cup was worth the risk.

Donnie D

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
PepNCheese said:
Otherwise, what is this talk about how much money the players are losing?

Maybe because they lost 1 year of earnings regardless of whether the contracts are extended?

I would agree that the contracts are running right now, but I also believe that the union and league have the right to modify that through the negotiation process. It may be in boths best interest to extend the contracts an extra year; players to get earnings at a higher level that will occur after the CBA and owners to prevent players from becomming free agents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad