No New Cba- Many teams will be happy to lose a few players!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewBreed19

With an extended lockout on the horizon, many teams player contracts will soon end. I wonder how many of the Nhl clubs will change mass personnel. In the case of the coyotes; I see this lockout as a blessing, because there are a few players that won't have contracts even after this lost season. Boucher, Brent Johnson, Savage(If it's longer then two seasons),Nazarov to name a few. I hate the above, and will be happy if the coyotes let their contracts run out. I bet their are several fans of hockey that feel this way of their favorite teams. I just hope the Nhl purges some of the greedy players through this lockout and becomes stronger. :lol:

The Maltais Falcon

Jan 9, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Contracts run on seasons played, not calender years passed, if I'm not mistaken. Thus, the length of the lockout will have no bearing on how much time remains on a given contract once play resumes.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
The Maltais Falcon said:
Contracts run on seasons played, not calender years passed, if I'm not mistaken. Thus, the length of the lockout will have no bearing on how much time remains on a given contract once play resumes.

Not true. Its actually calender years.

NewBreed19

The Maltais Falcon said:
I think that a season counts as a year off their current contracts, so a lost season due to a lockout must count against the duration of the deal that they sign. ;)

Boltsfan2029

Jul 8, 2002
In deleted threads
For what it's worth, Jay Feaster (Lightning GM) said that whether this year counts against length/duration of contracts will be determined as part of the CBA negotiations.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
The Maltais Falcon said:

No, contracts are for date to date, not season to season. They do not run on calender years.

NewBreed19

Boltsfan2029 said:
For what it's worth, Jay Feaster (Lightning GM) said that whether this year counts against length/duration of contracts will be determined as part of the CBA negotiations.
I think that this year will count against players contracts. The lockout and negotiations shouldn't change this, because if this was the case then why would this be a lost contract year of pay?

AdvDave

Jan 27, 2005
There is no way that this year (if cancelled) will count against players contracts. If they did, players will have lost money that has been guaranteed to them, because the owners locked them out. Doesn't seem fair...and I am pro-owner.

NewBreed19

AdvDave said:
There is no way that this year (if cancelled) will count against players contracts. If they did, players will have lost money that has been guaranteed to them, because the owners locked them out. Doesn't seem fair...and I am pro-owner.
So you mean to tell me that the player contracts will still be where they were before the lockout. I disagree; this season will count. So Brett Hull who just signed a two year deal, will still have two years left on his contract when the lockout ends? I think that your mistaken. :shakehead

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Nolan apparently had a disputed clause in his contract that said if the season were cancelled, he could turn a team option to extend into a player option to extend. Kind of implied the year would be lost. However Yashin was forced to honour his contract after he locked out for a year.

But what happens to the contracts, wiped out or extended, is just as negotiable as rolling back player salaries 24%. It is something that can be bargained as I understand. Not to say it wont end up in lawsuits like everything else though.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Proof that contracts are still in effect during the lockout lies with the injured players that are collecting money. If the contracts were frozen, they wouldn't be getting paid.

NewBreed19

loudi94 said:
Proof that contracts are still in effect during the lockout lies with the injured players that are collecting money. If the contracts were frozen, they wouldn't be getting paid.
Exactly! Contracts are in effect during the lockout and will count against their duration of the deal that they signed. :D

AdvDave

Jan 27, 2005
NewBreed19 said:
So you mean to tell me that the player contracts will still be where they were before the lockout. I disagree; this season will count. So Brett Hull who just signed a two year deal, will still have two years left on his contract when the lockout ends? I think that your mistaken. :shakehead

All I was saying is that he was signed to play 2 years, but the owners locked him out from doing so. If the players were on strike, I would think differently. I am sure this has to be addressed in a new cba if that ever happens.

loudi94 said:

Not sure, but I think this is a type of workers compensation. ie. if you get hurt at your place of employment and can't work for 6 months but your place closes down after 3, you should get paid for 6 right?

SPARTAKUS*

NewBreed19 said:
NewBreed19 you're right after this season Hull will have one year left on his contract. It doesn't matter if the season is cancelled.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
AdvDave said:

This is what a lockout is about. The players are losing money that's been guaranteed to them. This is the whole point.

AdvDave

Jan 27, 2005
You know what, I think yall are right. It just the thought of this going 2 years and then having 500 or so free agents floating around with little money to please them all really baffles me.
I conceded, now its time for the PA.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
NewBreed19 said:
I just hope the Nhl purges some of the greedy players through this lockout and becomes stronger. :lol:

NHL owners would be foolish to purge themselves of players that belong in the NHL.Their going to need the best product they can produce to help undo the damage of this lockout.Downgrading a product that wasn't extremely strong before while trying to appease unhappy customers is bad business.

Empireshark

Jul 15, 2004
Actually, I'm pretty sure that Yashin refused to play in order to renegotiate an existing contract and that was why he "owed" the team another year.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
nyr7andcounting said:
No, contracts are for date to date, not season to season. They do not run on calender years.
Owen Nolan had a special clause wriiten into his contract that says he gets an extra year added to his contract if the season is interupted by a lockout and shorter then 40 games ..

Why would he need such a special clause if Contracts did not continue to expire???

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
OTTSENS said:
NewBreed19 you're right after this season Hull will have one year left on his contract. It doesn't matter if the season is cancelled.
And you know this ..how? :dunno: i personly think it will be decided in the new CBA to extend the contracts or not!

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
The Messenger said:
Owen Nolan had a special clause wriiten into his contract that says he gets an extra year added to his contract if the season is interupted by a lockout and shorter then 40 games ..

Why would he need such a special clause if Contracts did not continue to expire???
Maybe he just guaranteed it...doesn't mean it wouldn't happen anyway.

Boltsfan2029

Jul 8, 2002
In deleted threads
NewBreed19 said:
I think that this year will count against players contracts. The lockout and negotiations shouldn't change this, because if this was the case then why would this be a lost contract year of pay?

We're all entitled to our opinions, I'm just telling you what an NHL General Manager personally told me when I asked him about whether the lockout year would count against existing contracts. Here's a portion of what he said:

2004-05 Contracts: The treatment of those contracts will depend entirely on what the parties negotiate through the CBA process. <snip> As soon as a new CBA is negotiated we'll know what happens to those contracts, assuming we don't play this year, and we will respond accordingly with those players affected.

I cut out some stuff specific to the Lightning which I know wouldn't interest most folks here.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
The Messenger said:

actually, the clause was that he would be paid in the lockout year, but the nhl rejected the contract and it had to be reworked.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Boltsfan2029 said:
We're all entitled to our opinions, I'm just telling you what an NHL General Manager personally told me when I asked him about whether the lockout year would count against existing contracts. Here's a portion of what he said:

IMHO the default position is that this season = 1 year of the contract whether or not they play. The Tampa GM may also be correct in that both sides may choose to negotiate to extent existing contracts to compensate for the lost year and we won't know for sure until that negotiation takes place. However, I still think it defaults back to lost 1 year if they don't reach a deal on extending the contracts.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
thinkwild said:
Nolan apparently had a disputed clause in his contract that said if the season were cancelled, he could turn a team option to extend into a player option to extend. Kind of implied the year would be lost. However Yashin was forced to honour his contract after he locked out for a year.

But what happens to the contracts, wiped out or extended, is just as negotiable as rolling back player salaries 24%. It is something that can be bargained as I understand. Not to say it wont end up in lawsuits like everything else though.

Yashin was a completely different deal. He was no locked out he refused to play. The league was playing he just decided he wouldn't and that is the reason he still owed a year on his contract. Locked out players are different because the entire league is not playing.

Contracts will expire when they are to due to expire regardless if there is a season or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad