TSN: No negotiations between Leafs and Campbell/Mikyehev

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's pretty clear any non Big 4 Toronto free agent that has a productive tenure is going to be given the Zach Hyman boot between now and when the cap goes up in a meaningful way or when the Tavares deal expires.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It's pretty clear any non Big 4 Toronto free agent that has a productive tenure is going to be given the Zach Hyman boot between now and when the cap goes up in a meaningful way or when the Tavares deal expires.

and that's fine depth can be replaced that's what makes depth players, depth players

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I can see moving on from Mikyehev as he’s probably asking too much. Surprised that they haven’t at least talked to Campbell though given the lack of better goalies available. Always better to at least have an open dialogue unless they already have a keeper lined up.

There are several better options available

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
just said on insider trading there have been no negotiations between the Leafs and Campbell or Mikyehev.

Mikyehev is a little surprising not because anyone expects him to be back we don't butfor them not to even make an offer to a guy that did score 21 goals for them last season is odd.

In Campbell's case I'm excited I am excited by the fact that it looks like they are going to have an entirely brand new goaltending tandem.

I say goaltending tandem because nobody thinks Mrazek will be back either he's gone it's just a matter of how.

It kind of sucks a little bit to lose Mikyehev but neither he nor Campbell are players that can't be replaced because both players are depth players and the thing about depth players is depth players no matter how good they are, are ALWAYS replaceable that is what them depth players, a depth player is a depth player because they can be replaced.
I'm curious how you know Campbell and what he did to you? I can't recall a poster with this much of ax to grind with a single player.

Reactions: Space umpire

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'm curious how you know Campbell and what he did to you? I can't recall a poster with this much of ax to grind with a single player.

I don't know Campbell I just tend not to like players who play like shit for 4 straight months and are clearly not good enough.

Campbell isn't good enough so kick his ass out the door.

Holl is the only player I hate that guy does nothing good

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia
The Leafs probably aren't interested in bidding against themselves for Campbell.

If its true that the Leafs offered 2.8 and Campbell asked 7, then there's no use in even trying to close that gap.

If Campbell tests the market and comes back with a lower ask, then its time to talk.

Mikheyev can walk.

He's good, but not as good as his agent thinks he is.
If he wants 7 then Dubas should drive him to the airport right now

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Once Campbell signs with another team you can speak this way. I wouldn't count him out.

Especially Dubas' penchant for having the Soo Greyhound Fraternity around him. It could be that he plans on having him return, but is struggling to find a taker for Mrazek. Perhaps he want to run things back with Campbell and another goaltender.

:leafs

Where did you read that Campbell wants 7 million?

Are you sure?

:leafs
No, that's just my recollection. I could be wrong -- it wouldn't be the first time.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Fluery and Kuemper are not worse, they are older than Campbell but they aren't worse

they have talked but no numbers have been exchanged so I'm not really sure what that means

Watch them play, they are worse.

Kuemper playing like this in Toronto would never survive it.

Fleury posted .908% 2.90 gaa.
He had a terrible start to the season and is getting up there with the age

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Watch them play, they are worse.

Kuemper playing like this in Toronto would never survive it.

Fleury posted .908% 2.90 gaa.
He had a terrible start to the season and is getting up there with the age

I don't care how old he is Fleury being older than Jack, doesn't mean Jack is better it just means Jack is younger.

As for Fleury numbers well from about Christmas on Jack had a 3.27 GAA and an 893 sv%

Then there is the 897 sv% he had against Tampa he's not better than Fleury he's just a few years younger.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
I don't know Campbell I just tend not to like players who play like shit for 4 straight months and are clearly not good enough.

Campbell isn't good enough so kick his ass out the door.

Holl is the only player I hate that guy does nothing good
Campbell was severely overused by a clownshoes coach at the seasons start and wore down. Maybe a few less points early on would have lead to a better finish.
I do find you hatred of Campbell humorous. You’re blaming him (constantly) for 3 OT goals, 2 of which a superstar in his prime likely doesn’t stop. Also rather than spouting 7 game stats for your pets. How about just game 7. … you know the big game. One game winner take all, loser goes home. … 40 million in cap was invisible when it mattered most. … seems to be a trend with them.

Reactions: Fatass

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Campbell was severely overused by a clownshoes coach at the seasons start and wore down. Maybe a few less points early on would have lead to a better finish.
I do find you hatred of Campbell humorous. You’re blaming him (constantly) for 3 OT goals, 2 of which a superstar in his prime likely doesn’t stop. Also rather than spouting 7 game stats for your pets. How about just game 7. … you know the big game. One game winner take all, loser goes home. … 40 million in cap was invisible when it mattered most. … seems to be a trend with them.

If Jack Campbell had given them even a shred of consistency it doesn't get to game 7.

He didn't

He can't

Reactions: Samhockey3

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
That’s fine by me. What is the point of running it back exactly the same? Mikheyev is useless in the playoffs. We need more scoring from the bottom 6, and he only has 1 goal in his playoff career and that was into an empty net. Pathetic. And Campbell, he is not reliable. If you want to win the cup, you have to aim higher than these 2 players.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
If Jack Campbell had given them even a shred of consistency it doesn't get to game 7.

He didn't

He can't

Shots and expected goals were dead even in the series.

He matched the best goalie in the world. lol
This is the same as running Andersen out of town and then he goes and finishes 4th for the Vezina.

Reactions: Fatass

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
I wouldn't be talking to Campbell's Camp either if any truth to his asking price being north of 5 mill per

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
I'm of the belief that the Leafs are failing (in terms of playoff success) directly as a result of poor cap management due to the Tavares signing. For that reason alone, I cannot say Dubas is good at UFA signings. I agree he's made some solid ones, but they are "bargain bin" hit or misses because of the Tavares mistake. Bunting was a home run, and there's a few good signings, but there's also some bad ones like Mrazek.

Go back in time, keep Kadri and let Tavares sign elsewhere. The Leafs would be MUCH better off today IMO.
Sadly, time machines don't exist, so they are stuck in cap hell for years to come.

Note: I think Tavares cost the Leafs about 13m in cap space because it influenced the other big 2.

Edit: I understand this is an opinion and point of view, and not fact. I accept if you disagree. It's all good. Tavares is a good player regardless.

Yeah, I appreciate your opinion and that you have explained it, though I do not entirely agree (personally). I hated the Kadri trade, both because I liked the player and had little love for Tyson Barrie. Kadri was on a cap hit of 4.5 million, Barrie came in at 5.5 million (albeit with Colorado retaining), and then Toronto gave Alex Kerfoot 3.5 million per year.

I think they could have kept Kadri, notwithstanding Tavares, but management obviously felt that they would be better served trading from center (now having Matthews and Tavares) and adding to their blueline with Tyson Barrie. Fans were also critical of Kadri for two postseason suspensions, and perhaps that sentiment was also present in the front office. Kadri could be a frustrating player to watch, but I was always a fan because he worked so bloody hard and you could see flashes of that skill that made him a top ten pick in 2009.

I don't think Tavares' cap hit have really held them back, even though it's not great value. The Marleau and Zaitzev contracts handed out by Lou Lamiorello were however awful. Arguably Kerfoot's isn't that great either, and Mrazek has been a flub. At least Tavares is still a PPG center. If you shave a couple million off his cap hit then the contract looks much better, and then question I posed in the thread on our home forums is whether that extra money would have really moved the needle for Toronto. I personally doubt it, but it's all speculative. They could have kept Hyman, potentially, but even after a great playoffs, I don't really think Hyman is a huge loss.

As for Mikheyev, good player, reliable defensively, but I think some team may overpay him. Campbell is wildly inconsistent, but with no real starting goaltender and few other options, I imagine the reason there have been no discussions between the two is because Campbell is looking for a payday of some sort.

Reactions: KevinRedkey

cupdreaming

Nov 9, 2014
Toronto finally got a reliable starter that wants to play in Toronto, only to let him go because he had a bad playoff round lmao
it is more than one round. Too many below average performances in career/team defining moments,

I wish Jack all the best and I hope he gets paid elsewhere. He was an awesome Leaf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad