TSN: No negotiations between Leafs and Campbell/Mikyehev

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
depends on what you consider to be an overpay for Husso? he's not my first choice but he is a name that has been mentioned and he is intriguing to a point

That would be hilarious

Husso had a good regular season but he has A LOT of holes in his game and would be a disaster in Toronto

Reactions: yzerman

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Tight to the Cap, I felt this situation with Campbell might occur. He simply hasn't had his payday yet and now is his turn. Maybe there was.an outside chance they could get a discount, but it's a tough ask.

I would have probably have traded Mik and Engvall at the deadline if an offer for some Gamers was available.
Dubas is in win now mode, so. Can understand not moving guys at the TDL who are coming UFAs. But losing Campbell isn’t good.

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I can see letting Makyev walk, but losing the best goalie the club has had in a long time just makes no sense. The east top teams are all seemingly going backwards and the Leafs have a great opportunity to step up into the top spots. But losing Campbell won’t help.

In 26 starts, Campbell had a 0.893 save% and a 3.27gaa from January 1st till the end of the season.

The only reason his stats are not horrible for the entire season is because he was a Vezina caliber goalie for 1-2 months to start the season.

He's a bad goalie.

Reactions: Brad C

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
just said on insider trading there have been no negotiations between the Leafs and Campbell or Mikyehev.

Mikyehev is a little surprising not because anyone expects him to be back we don't butfor them not to even make an offer to a guy that did score 21 goals for them last season is odd.

In Campbell's case I'm excited I am excited by the fact that it looks like they are going to have an entirely brand new goaltending tandem.

I say goaltending tandem because nobody thinks Mrazek will be back either he's gone it's just a matter of how.

It kind of sucks a little bit to lose Mikyehev but neither he nor Campbell are players that can't be replaced because both players are depth players and the thing about depth players is depth players no matter how good they are, are ALWAYS replaceable that is what them depth players, a depth player is a depth player because they can be replaced.

I would say that we are too far away from free agency for any negotiations.

Can't something be done between now and July 13th?

:leafs

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
and another player that will be easily replaced just like Johnsson, Kapanen and Hyman were

You win some (Bunting) and you lose some (Ritchie). The poor depth is never addressed with one step forward, one step back. It's been a problem and will continue to be.

Not to mention Hyman just had a better playoff than pretty much anyone in the "Matthews Era" Leafs.

Note: You forgot Kadri too.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Toronto finally got a reliable starter that wants to play in Toronto, only to let him go because he had a bad playoff round lmao

Reliable? This season was the complete opposite of that for Campbell.

Likely Mikheyev is gone unless he takes like $2 million, the young kids need to play eventually and we almost have a full roster of NHL players as RFAs or signed already.

Campbell, indifferent on, he'd have to take a really low salary for me to want him back.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
In 26 starts, Campbell had a 0.893 save% and a 3.27gaa from January 1st till the end of the season.

The only reason his stats are not horrible for the entire season is because he was a Vezina caliber goalie for 1-2 months to start the season.

He's a bad goalie.
OKay. It’s his fault for this year’s playoff loss. (Some say; not me)
But a team is going to pay him, and get a heck of a good goalie.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You win some (Bunting) and you lose some (Ritchie). The poor depth is never addressed with one step forward, one step back. It's been a problem and will continue to be.

Dubas won way more than he lost last off season, while Ritchie was a miss Bunting, Kase and Kampf were all hits.

I wanted Dubas fired but his free ageent signings are not the reason why

OKay. It’s his fault for this year’s playoff loss. (Some say; not me)
But a team is going to pay him, and get a heck of a good goalie.

no they won't they are going to pay him and regret it very quickly

espically if it's a team like Buffalo or NJ who don't have the offense to cover up for Campbell's awful goaltending

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Dubas won way more than he lost last off season, while Ritchie was a miss Bunting, Kase and Kampf were all hits.

espically if it's a team like Buffalo or NJ who don't have the offense to cover up for Campbell's awful goaltending
I think Dubas allows others to help guide him making the best decisions. Yes, the “buck stops with him”, but he allows others’ input, who are the experts in those areas. The trouble right now is the cap. Dubas dosnt have the cap room needed to keep the guys he needs to.

If you say so. I disagree. The Leafs had Anderson, but it was his fault. Now it’s Campbell’s fault. Next year who’s fault? Keep Campbell. He’s not the issue.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think Dubas allows others to help guide him making the best decisions. Yes, the “buck stops with him”, but he allows others’ input, who are the experts in those areas. The trouble right now is the cap. Dubas dosnt have the cap room needed to keep the guys he needs to.

that's the thing none of his free agents are guys he "needs" to keep he doesn't need Campbell, or Mikyehev, or Engvaall or Kase, even Sandin and Lilly.

Now you should keep Sandin and Lilly but they aren't important enough that you NEED them and they don't have the leverage to get big money deals

If you say so. I disagree. The Leafs had Anderson, but it was his fault. Now it’s Campbell’s fault. Next year who’s fault? Keep Campbell. He’s not the issue.

Andersen quit on the teamhe claimed he was hurt but the Leafs medical staff couldn't find the injury and if you don't believe that watch all or nothing.

Freddy quit

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
that's the thing none of his free agents are guys he "needs" to keep he doesn't need Campbell, or Mikyehev, or Engvaall or Kase, even Sandin and Lilly.

Now you should keep Sandin and Lilly but they aren't important enough that you NEED them and they don't have the leverage to get big money deals
Clearly the Leafs aren’t the Avs or the Oilers or even the Panthers good offensively, so they need really good goalie - unlike those teams - to win in the playoffs. Campbell is really good.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria

I think there are a couple moves he can make that can clear some money and will be relatively easy to. I think kerfoot and holl are moveable (no idea value) - but definitely nhl players that can make lineups and expiring contracts.

he should have enough money to bridge liljegren / sign sandin cheap. the forwards i don't think any of them are must keeps - they are as bland as you can get (PK will take biggest hit) - Engvall, Mikheyev, Blackwell, Kase. that is as bland a dry bread. personally i think 2 kids need to play (cheap and time to start using them).

it won't leave any money for a good goalie + depth though - one or the other

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010

I'm of the belief that the Leafs are failing (in terms of playoff success) directly as a result of poor cap management due to the Tavares signing. For that reason alone, I cannot say Dubas is good at UFA signings. I agree he's made some solid ones, but they are "bargain bin" hit or misses because of the Tavares mistake. Bunting was a home run, and there's a few good signings, but there's also some bad ones like Mrazek.

Go back in time, keep Kadri and let Tavares sign elsewhere. The Leafs would be MUCH better off today IMO.
Sadly, time machines don't exist, so they are stuck in cap hell for years to come.

Note: I think Tavares cost the Leafs about 13m in cap space because it influenced the other big 2.

Edit: I understand this is an opinion and point of view, and not fact. I accept if you disagree. It's all good. Tavares is a good player regardless.

Reactions: andora

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
just said on insider trading there have been no negotiations between the Leafs and Campbell or Mikyehev.

Mikyehev is a little surprising not because anyone expects him to be back we don't butfor them not to even make an offer to a guy that did score 21 goals for them last season is odd.

In Campbell's case I'm excited I am excited by the fact that it looks like they are going to have an entirely brand new goaltending tandem.

I say goaltending tandem because nobody thinks Mrazek will be back either he's gone it's just a matter of how.

It kind of sucks a little bit to lose Mikyehev but neither he nor Campbell are players that can't be replaced because both players are depth players and the thing about depth players is depth players no matter how good they are, are ALWAYS replaceable that is what them depth players, a depth player is a depth player because they can be replaced.
Just don’t think they’ll be able to keep Mikyehev. He’s gonna get a nice deal. A good, solid NHL player. This is why it’s imperative, with their salary structure, they develop players. Sucks but it’s the life of a contender with big time contracts.

As for Campbell, I’m a little surprised but maybe it shouldn’t surprise us. Just hope they don’t go all in with a goaltender and don’t address a major issue. Not having enough forwards who pay the price.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Clearly the Leafs aren’t the Avs or the Oilers or even the Panthers good offensively, so they need really good goalie - unlike those teams - to win in the playoffs. Campbell is really good.

Campbell is average with the ability to be more than that for short stretches.

he does not however have the ability to make the save, the big save, the one you need to beat Tampa

he 3 goals against on 8 OT shots over the last 2 years proves that

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Campbell is average with the ability to be more than that for short stretches.

he does not however have the ability to make the save, the big save, the one you need to beat Tampa

he 3 goals against on 8 OT shots over the last 2 years proves that
How many goals did the Leafs score in games six and seven? It’s not the goalie. Campbell is way better than what the Avs have in goal. Leaf big dollar guys need to show up I need the big games.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
How many goals did the Leafs score in games six and seven? It’s not the goalie. Campbell is way better than what the Avs have in goal. Leaf big dollar guys need to show up I need the big games.

they did show up they had a combined 36 points in 7 games.

Jack had an 897 save%

he didn't show up

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I hope this thread isn't one in which fans are trying to suss out a scapegoat.

Campbell can't possibly be the scapegoat for that series.:leafs

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Campbell seems like a super nice dude, and I wish him the best. But, ideally he'd be a cheaper B side to a tandem. Some team is going to pay him like a starter this summer, and come to regret it.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I never understand fans getting bent out of shape over teams not making an offer. For all you know they asked the agents what their clients are looking for and the ask was too high to insult with an offer. Or they countered back and it was rejected but it’s not a formal offer.

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
Not surprising considering this team is using 70% of their cap space on 7 players. Campbell is likely to get the Ullmark contract and Mik is likely to get something between 4-4.5. Unless someone is being moved they are both impossible to sign right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad