TSN: No negotiations between Leafs and Campbell/Mikyehev

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
just said on insider trading there have been no negotiations between the Leafs and Campbell or Mikyehev.

Mikyehev is a little surprising not because anyone expects him to be back we don't butfor them not to even make an offer to a guy that did score 21 goals for them last season is odd.

In Campbell's case I'm excited I am excited by the fact that it looks like they are going to have an entirely brand new goaltending tandem.

I say goaltending tandem because nobody thinks Mrazek will be back either he's gone it's just a matter of how.

It kind of sucks a little bit to lose Mikyehev but neither he nor Campbell are players that can't be replaced because both players are depth players and the thing about depth players is depth players no matter how good they are, are ALWAYS replaceable that is what them depth players, a depth player is a depth player because they can be replaced.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
so whats torontos plan?

overpay a UFA who probably won’t live up to the contract theyll need to hand them?

same with their backup, whats the plan? its not like any of the 7 goalies that played for the marlies played well either

if toronto overpays on Husso lmao

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
so whats torontos plan?

overpay a UFA who probably won’t live up to the contract theyll need to hand them?

same with their backup, whats the plan? its not like any of the 7 goalies that played for the marlies played well either

They’ll go for worse option than Campbell just because.

The options they’ll mention like Fleury, Blackwood, Kuemper are all worse

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
so whats torontos plan?

depends on what you consider to be an overpay for Husso? he's not my first choice but he is a name that has been mentioned and he is intriguing to a point

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
just said on insider trading there have been no negotiations between the Leafs and Campbell or Mikyehev.

Mikyehev is a little surprising not because anyone expects him to be back we don't butfor them not to even make an offer to a guy that did score 21 goals for them last season is odd.

In Campbell's case I'm excited I am excited by the fact that it looks like they are going to have an entirely brand new goaltending tandem.

I say goaltending tandem because nobody thinks Mrazek will be back either he's gone it's just a matter of how.

It kind of sucks a little bit to lose Mikyehev but neither he nor Campbell are players that can't be replaced because both players are depth players and the thing about depth players is depth players no matter how good they are, are ALWAYS replaceable that is what them depth players, a depth player is a depth player because they can be replaced.
Wonder if you are still exited when you see that new tandem play haha

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I can see moving on from Mikyehev as he’s probably asking too much. Surprised that they haven’t at least talked to Campbell though given the lack of better goalies available. Always better to at least have an open dialogue unless they already have a keeper lined up.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Really hoping it will be …

Gibson/Källgren

But have a feeling it will be…

Blackwood/Murray

I wouldn't be against that 2nd tandem I believe Blackwood has a lot of talent much like Husso not my first choice but he's 25, he has a couple of good seasons under his belt if he can get back to being the 918 goalie he showed he could be his first couple years the #1 spot is set for a decade

Reactions: Gilles Meloche

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Don’t really understand not at least being in contact with Campbell. Mikheyev I understand he’s going to get a nice contract this offseason. Probably more then he’s worth.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
They’ll go for worse option than Campbell just because.

The options they’ll mention like Fleury, Blackwood, Kuemper are all worse

Fluery and Kuemper are not worse, they are older than Campbell but they aren't worse

Don’t really understand not at least being in contact with Campbell. Mikheyev I understand he’s going to get a nice contract this offseason. Probably more then he’s worth.

they have talked but no numbers have been exchanged so I'm not really sure what that means

Reactions: banks

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Toronto finally got a reliable starter that wants to play in Toronto, only to let him go because he had a bad playoff round lmao

I mean he did suck during that round that is true but he also sucked from December-April.

They got through that because they had the #2 offense in the NHL but he was bad from 4 straight months.

he will get paid because November is a month that exists

Gilles Meloche

I Moe I Moe
Feb 18, 2006
Toronto, Canada
I wouldn't be against that 2nd tandem I believe Blackwood has a lot of talent much like Husso not my first choice but he's 25, he has a couple of good seasons under his belt if he can get back to being the 918 goalie he showed he could be his first couple years the #1 spot is set for a decade
Agreed. My first choice coming in would be Gibson but if we can’t add him I would really like to see us bring in Blackwood as a second option. Like you said he is only 25…

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
At least in contact then. Contracts can come together relatively fast.

I mean if you haven't had any meaningful talks at this point, and sense no numbers have been exchanged then it's safe to say they haven't chances are both are gone

Agreed. My first choice coming in would be Gibson but if we can’t add him I would really like to see us bring in Blackwood as a second option. Like you said he is only 25…

I want nothing to do with Kallgren has the backup he was awful but nobody noticed because the Leafs had the #2 offense in the NHL so they got through it.

Personally I want Holtby as the backup

Wonder if you are still exited when you see that new tandem play haha

depends on who the new tandem is.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
The Leafs probably aren't interested in bidding against themselves for Campbell.

If its true that the Leafs offered 2.8 and Campbell asked 7, then there's no use in even trying to close that gap.

If Campbell tests the market and comes back with a lower ask, then its time to talk.

Mikheyev can walk.

He's good, but not as good as his agent thinks he is.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Toronto finally got a reliable starter that wants to play in Toronto, only to let him go because he had a bad playoff round lmao
Once Campbell signs with another team you can speak this way. I wouldn't count him out.

Especially Dubas' penchant for having the Soo Greyhound Fraternity around him. It could be that he plans on having him return, but is struggling to find a taker for Mrazek. Perhaps he want to run things back with Campbell and another goaltender.

:leafs

The Leafs probably aren't interested in bidding against themselves for Campbell.

If its true that the Leafs offered 2.8 and Campbell asked 7, then there's no use in even trying to close that gap.

If Campbell tests the market and comes back with a lower ask, then its time to talk.

Mikheyev can walk.

He's good, but not as good as his agent thinks he is.
Where did you read that Campbell wants 7 million?

Are you sure?

:leafs

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018

Tight to the Cap, I felt this situation with Campbell might occur. He simply hasn't had his payday yet and now is his turn. Maybe there was.an outside chance they could get a discount, but it's a tough ask.

I would have probably have traded Mik and Engvall at the deadline if an offer for some Gamers was available.

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I can see letting Makyev walk, but losing the best goalie the club has had in a long time just makes no sense. The east top teams are all seemingly going backwards and the Leafs have a great opportunity to step up into the top spots. But losing Campbell won’t help.

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad