Trade: [NO/NE] Brandin Cooks to New England

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
From a credible source who broke the Graham trade and several other Saints trades in the past...

https://twitter.com/oneangrymidget/s...38218601156608

"hesitant to put this out there but: 2nd part of Cooks deal involves butler & an amalgam of picks. Cooks deal shouldn't be viewed in a vacuum"

"When viewed as a whole, Cooks and picks turns into butler and picks. Details are fuzzy."

If that's the case and we can get Butler for a mid round pick, it would certainly improve the package we got for Cooks on Friday.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They put a first round tender on Butler, so I don't think you're looking at a mid-round pick

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Trading the 32nd doesn't make any sense or else we would've just flipped Cooks for Butler, so I can see something like a mid round pick from this year and a 2nd/3rd round pick in 2018.

Anyways, if we can get Butler and not give up any picks in the first 3 rounds of this years draft, I'll be more then happy.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
At this point, I'm think it's next year's draft. Which is a bad risk to take. But you're right, if they were going to do it, they just should've done it, unless not doing it leverages another team into something.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Trading the 32nd doesn't make any sense or else we would've just flipped Cooks for Butler, so I can see something like a mid round pick from this year and a 2nd/3rd round pick in 2018.

Anyways, if we can get Butler and not give up any picks in the first 3 rounds of this years draft, I'll be more then happy.

Good luck.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
What the Patriots are doing this offseason is like the Whopper going to McDonald's.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I think the Pats will take Butler at 3,9M for one year instead of receiving a mid-round pick.

Interesting that the Patriots consider Gillmore to be more valuable than Butler.

Patriots always thinking ahead. Edelman has 1 more year on his contract. He's played 8 years already for the Patriots. Has 1 more year left. He'll be 32 next year when he enters free agency.

Can pretty much bet that BB has a price that he will pay Edelman, much like the price he set for Welker when he was near the end too. He was a running QB in college, so he's taken his fair share of hits.

Edelman can either remain with the Patriots at BB's price or he can try to get as much as he can on what will likely be his final long term deal.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Patriots always thinking ahead. Edelman has 1 more year on his contract. He's played 8 years already for the Patriots. Has 1 more year left. He'll be 32 next year when he enters free agency.

Cooks is only signed through 2017, with the rookie option for 2018. So they really only have Cooks under control one more year than Edelman.

I don't think BB actually places a premium on the WR or RB positions in his roster makeup. I wouldn't be shocked to see Cooks only fulfill his option and then leave chasing a higher salary.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Cooks is only signed through 2017, with the rookie option for 2018. So they really only have Cooks under control one more year than Edelman.

I don't think BB actually places a premium on the WR or RB positions in his roster makeup. I wouldn't be shocked to see Cooks only fulfill his option and then leave chasing a higher salary.

Agreed. BB will just go out and grab another Hogan or Amendola in FA or draft a WR in this coming draft and next year's draft in the mid rounds to fit his system.

Patriots always get rid of players before they expire.

NHL hockey teams need to take a page out of BB's philosophy at times when it comes to extending vets into their late 30s.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad