Trade: [NO/NE] Brandin Cooks to New England

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Patriots are really loading up.

I'm stoked they didn't trade Malcom Butler.

If they somehow hang onto Butler and Hightower, I'll be beside myself

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
2 picks but they get one too.

I marvel at that franchise, I marvel at the coach. It's almost to the point where I wonder why anyone even trades with them... you aren't going to get a good deal out of them.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Saints must've been desperate to get rid of Cooks, damn. A first and a third ain't bad but I'd rather have had Tennessee's #18. I wonder how much Cooks' griping and teammates yakking lowered his own value.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Saints must've been desperate to get rid of Cooks, damn. A first and a third ain't bad but I'd rather have had Tennessee's #18. I wonder how much Cooks' griping and teammates yakking lowered his own value.

It's not really a first and third, it's the last first pick, and a moving up of 10 spots from their 4th to the Pats' last 3rd. Of course you'd rather want the #18 than #32 and going from #118 to #108!

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Odd move for that Patriots.

In the sense that they generally don't trade high picks for players. Cooks is entering year 4 of his rookie deal. Patriots now have the option. To exercise the 5th year in it.

Football pov it makes sense. Gives them someone to stretch the field which opens the middle of the field where they like to work anyways. But you always have to be mindful of cooks since he has speed.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

The time to move was before free agency if they weren't getting a player back. The trade market through the draft is never good value.

Unfortunately this organization doesn't know how to evaluate defense which will look good on Sean Payton when Cooks is going for 2,000 yards next year.

dma0034

Jun 27, 2011
Buffalo, NY
They need to resign their players but man this team looks like they're gunning for 19-0. Only the Raiders and which ever team Romo goes to seem like the only AFC teams that can challenge.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Odd move for that Patriots.

In the sense that they generally don't trade high picks for players. Cooks is entering year 4 of his rookie deal. Patriots now have the option. To exercise the 5th year in it.

Football pov it makes sense. Gives them someone to stretch the field which opens the middle of the field where they like to work anyways. But you always have to be mindful of cooks since he has speed.

Brady won't be there forever, turning crap into gold. They'll have to get some good WRs sooner or later, and it seems they've gone with sooner.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Schefter seems to think Butler is still in play as part of a second trade between these two teams in the next few days. Interesting.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
It's not really a first and third, it's the last first pick, and a moving up of 10 spots from their 4th to the Pats' last 3rd. Of course you'd rather want the #18 than #32 and going from #118 to #108!

Last first rounder is still a first rounder, I agree it's not that much different from a high second rounder but a high 2nd is still worth plenty. I think Cooks roster bonus + his complaining forced their hand.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Schefter seems to think Butler is still in play as part of a second trade between these two teams in the next few days. Interesting.

I would not be surprised to see them send back New Englands 1st rounder for Butler.

Though as a Patriots fan I hope they keep Butler or if they do trade him, trade him for the Saints #11 overall pick instead

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
This value seems about right. He's a good player but some of the talk and speculation out there was crazy.

Rich get richer.

Last edited:

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Last first rounder is still a first rounder, I agree it's not that much different from a high second rounder but a high 2nd is still worth plenty. I think Cooks roster bonus + his complaining forced their hand.

Extra year on the rookie deal matters a lot.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Cooks is a good player. Edelman is a FA after next year so the move makes sense. Brady struggled throwing vertically last year. Cooks isn't in the DJax or Stills accuracy eraser tier but he's solid enough to make teams honest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad