Trade: [NO/NE] Brandin Cooks to New England

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Yeah, seems like that's posters' hockey mentality creeping in. Hardly a steal, Pats gave up a decent amount.

Definitely a very un-Patriots kind of trade, though. Has BB ever spent a first on a WR before?

Don't think so iirc, Chad Jackson may be the closest and he was 1st half of 2nd round I believe. Dobson as well. Branch maybe too

With his early WR drafting record I'd prefer him trading for established WR talent instead of using the picks on a WR, that's for sure

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Cooks was one of the youngest players in his draft. Mitchell was a 5th year sr I believe.

I believe mitchell was as well, a lot of injuries

I'm more so trying to point to the belief that Mitchell is seen as having good potential. Pretty crazy to see what Cooks has already accomplished in the NFL at a younger age, that's all

So many chess pieces

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Cooks also played with a HOFer in Drew Brees. He's good. I don't think Mitchell has a ton of potential. He's just best Pats deep threat when it comes to erasing QB mistakes and tracking the ball.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
That Pats offense will be ridiculous if they all stay healthy.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Bottom pick of the first round is a great spot to grab a QB since you can get that 5th year option. Wonder if the Saints might pull the trigger this year.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Cooks also played with a HOFer in Drew Brees. He's good. I don't think Mitchell has a ton of potential. He's just best Pats deep threat when it comes to erasing QB mistakes and tracking the ball.

Yeah not a ton of potential but I could see him turning into a 700-88 yard #2 if things pans out

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I dont think the Saints are interested in heir apparent QBs right now, at least not in the 1st round. They're going to keep throwing high picks at the defense. If they keep drafting young players the way they have been doing, with Rankins, Bell, Williams, Kikiha, Onyemata, Jordan, Vaccaro and so on, they'll be doing pretty good on D very soon, its just a matter of time.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I could see Cooks having a huge year. But I could also see Pats fans get frustrated with him. That run-after-catch stuff that Edelman, Amendola, Welker , etc have done so well over the years just isn't there with Cooks. He's shockingly unphysical. He looks the part for sure, but I cant say I've ever really seen him break a tackle or lean for extra yards. Its the only aspect of him as a player I've ever been frustrated with. You're used to short guys with a low center of gravity having a huge advantage when it comes to leverage, but its like he doesn't understand that. Watch Antonio Brown who is the same size and Cooks relative lack of toughness really sticks out. Its probably the only thing thats keeping him from becoming a legit #1 NFL WR.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I could see Cooks having a huge year. But I could also see Pats fans get frustrated with him. That run-after-catch stuff that Edelman, Amendola, Welker , etc have done so well over the years just isn't there with Cooks. He's shockingly unphysical. He looks the part for sure, but I cant say I've ever really seen him break a tackle or lean for extra yards. Its the only aspect of him as a player I've ever been frustrated with. You're used to short guys with a low center of gravity having a huge advantage when it comes to leverage, but its like he doesn't understand that. Watch Antonio Brown who is the same size and Cooks relative lack of toughness really sticks out. Its probably the only thing thats keeping him from becoming a legit #1 NFL WR.

Or Steve Smith. One of the toughest dudes ever.

Ozamataz Buckshank

Oct 7, 2010
Massachusetts

Sounds like Brandon Lloyd. I've never seen a WR try to find the sideline so quick so he doesn't get hit.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Saints did draft an heir apparent. Garrett Grayson. He lasted one full season before being cut and given a futures contract instead.

Drafting heir apparent QB's is dumb. No point in drafting them if you don't think they can compete for the job. You know what happens when Brees leaves? Sean Payton leaves. Next guy brings in his own QB.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The Saints did draft an heir apparent. Garrett Grayson. He lasted one full season before being cut and given a futures contract instead.

Drafting heir apparent QB's is dumb. No point in drafting them if you don't think they can compete for the job. You know what happens when Brees leaves? Sean Payton leaves. Next guy brings in his own QB.

Essentially yes.

Also as for the OP

This is shades of 2007, when the Patriots traded for receivers Randy Moss and Wes Welker, paid big in free agency for linebacker Adalius Thomas, and added some other notable parts, such as receiver Donte Stallworth. That was the year the Patriots were coming off a 2006 season in which Brady was throwing to a piece-it-together receiving corps, and it was almost as if Belichick said: Let’s make sure that doesn’t happen again!

I like the move. Most of the championship team is returning this year and they've now made it even better especially if they can keep Hightower. Belichick is apparently a huge fan of Cooks which will go a long way and even with the emergence of Thomas he still had a pretty good season.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Cooks is the best home run threat they've had since Moss. I'm sorry - I know you guys like Hogan but Cooks is way better.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I'm not a big fan of the return but what really scares me the most is the fact that we have to trust management to pick a solid defensive player at #32 and that's been our main weakness for the past several years now.

They know how to identify offensive talent... defensive talent, not so much.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
People forget how valued draft picks are in the NFL.

Business of football is cutthroat. If you are lucky to play a decade, this is what happens:

You graduate college as a Senior at age 22. Get drafted and get a 4-5 year contract. You become a free agent at age 26/27. Get another contract, your big one, for 4-5 years. Depending on health and production, you can get cut near the end of that deal since you no longer have any guaranteed money, so the only dead cap space the team needs to eat is any remaining signing bonus that they haven't been applied yet.

So, you are a free agent at age 30-32. Then you decide what you want to do. Get paid or chase a championship. Guys like Chris Long, made his money with the Rams and chased a ring with NE. Now, he'll be back on the market.

Adding Cooks, likely spells the end of Amendola.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Business of football is cutthroat. If you are lucky to play a decade, this is what happens:

You graduate college as a Senior at age 22. Get drafted and get a 4-5 year contract. You become a free agent at age 26/27. Get another contract, your big one, for 4-5 years. Depending on health and production, you can get cut near the end of that deal since you no longer have any guaranteed money, so the only dead cap space the team needs to eat is any remaining signing bonus that they haven't been applied yet.

So, you are a free agent at age 30-32. Then you decide what you want to do. Get paid or chase a championship. Guys like Chris Long, made his money with the Rams and chased a ring with NE. Now, he'll be back on the market.

Adding Cooks, likely spells the end of Amendola.

Amendola wants to restructure and stay in New England, so I expect the Patriots to hold into him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad