Confirmed with Link: No more Jeff Daniels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
it is a weird situation entirely.

im expecting a lifetime movie to be made from it at some point.

the people at lifetime are just awful.

Hey now, they've made some quality films.

grumpy_cat_christmas_a_s.jpg

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I have just two wants in an AHL coach.

1.) Skilled at developing talent.
2.) Adheres to the Canes playbook and systems so guys that get promoted already understand what the Canes are doing.

Beyond that...analytics, winning, personality...I just don't care. Just be good at developing our prospects and run the same systems as the Canes.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I've seen analytics mentioned a few times here for the AHL coach. Can someone explain why an AHL coach needs to have any analytics familiarity? He's there to teach the young guys how to be a professional and how to play the right way. Much more of a concern for the directors of X type of player development than the head coach.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I've seen analytics mentioned a few times here for the AHL coach. Can someone explain why an AHL coach needs to have any analytics familiarity?

So he can tell if his players are actually being successful by some objectively meaningful yardstick.

Which is even more important if the team isn't being measured by wins and losses.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
So he can tell if his players are actually being successful by some objectively meaningful yardstick.

Which is even more important if the team isn't being measured by wins and losses.

Isn't that what the litany of director of X player development are for? I want the AHL coach to teach them how to play the right way and conduct themselves the right way. Someone should be measuring the progress analytically, sure, but that's not on my list of must haves for the coach.

I'm slightly down on analytics as a whole this season as the numbers say the Canes were a top 10 possession team this year and everyone with two eyes and a brain could see that they were terrible.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Isn't that what the litany of director of X player development are for? I want the AHL coach to teach them how to play the right way and conduct themselves the right way. Someone should be measuring the progress analytically, sure, but that's not on my list of must haves for the coach.

I'm slightly down on analytics as a whole this season as the numbers say the Canes were a top 10 possession team this year and everyone with two eyes and a brain could see that they were terrible.

I don't disagree with you there at all, but you really don't want a situation like the way the one between Art Howe and Billy Beane was dramatized in Moneyball either. It all depends on how seriously the team takes analytics on how heavily it should weigh in on the decision, but it's absolutely essential that the AHL guys and the Canes brass are on the same page. When that's not the case you get mixed messages and stunted if not outright stagnated development like what we saw with Boychuk, Bowman, and Dalpe.

Simply put if the team is heavily into advanced metrics then a coach that takes the same approach in the AHL is an absolute must in all honesty.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
As far as a connection between the teams, Obviously we'd prefer to have the same system being followed from top to bottom to allow for easy acclimation. I don't know how much deeper it needs to go than that. I'm hoping we aren't too "deep" into the analytics. They provide interesting information, I don't argue that.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Well being one of the top F/O teams helped but they wasted really good team shot suppression improvement with below par goaltending and a woeful team shooting %.

Wild Caniac

@WildCaniac
Jan 23, 2013
NC
I wrote an article about speculation in terms of how Daniels might have fit in to the gameplan for the Hurricanes. Pretty sure most of us agree RF got it right with Peters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad