Player Discussion No love for Caleb Jones

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
I need to get this out there because since the news of Klefbom's (potential) season-ending shoulder injury, everybody who has looked at the defense on the team has talked about everybody except CJ. I legit have not heard anyone praise what Jones did last year or attempt to talk about how he can step up in the absence of Klef like Bear did when Larsson went down last year. He's really getting slept on. I guess that may be a good thing, as he can fly under the radar without the pressure being on him and just casually go about his business. The kid's breakout year will come this season, book it.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I need to get this out there because since the news of Klefbom's (potential) season-ending shoulder injury, everybody who has looked at the defense on the team has talked about everybody except CJ. I legit have not heard anyone praise what Jones did last year or attempt to talk about how he can step up in the absence of Klef like Bear did when Larsson went down last year. He's really getting slept on. I guess that may be a good thing, as he can fly under the radar without the pressure being on him and just casually go about his business. The kid's breakout year will come this season, book it.

I dont think anyone is discrediting him for not making an impact. It very well could happen. But that being said, you can't always bank on the younger guys to jump up higher than what their potential says. I'd say everyone is being cautiously optimistic that either him or Bouchard/Broberg will jump up in a big way next season.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I agree with OP, I firmly believe Caleb Jones has established himself as a regular in the line up, and I dont think he'll be taking a step back.

Last time I was driving through Alberta I had a chance to listen to an interview from Tibbett and he's pretty confident in Caleb Jones and outright praised Jones without being asked to.

He's a bit of a utility defender. He isnt flashy or a sexy name like Bear or Klefbom, cause Jones' has a quieter game, but he's certainly learning how to get the job done in the NHL, and is able to handle 20mins a night

Reactions: McTonyBrar

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I think he'll be better then Bear. Even with Chia throwing away draft picks in 2015 he still drafted 3 potential top 4 Dmen in the later rounds.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I’d like to see if he gets the green light to go for offense a bit more this year now that Klefbom is out. I think there’s more to this player than what we’ve seen, but he’s smart and is playing a conservative game trying to minimize mistakes and stay in the lineup. Nice to see some prospects that were seasoned in the minors properly being eased into roles. In the past Jones would already be getting chased out of town and labeled as a bust because he would have been getting top 4 minutes and tough matchups when he wasn’t ready for it.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I kinda thought pretty much everyone liked Jones and expected him to replace much of Klefbom's minutes.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
We'll see what he can do. He looked pretty good with his 14 minutes of average ice time last season. If he can play 18+ minutes at that level or better then we're laughing.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Jones, currently, is like Benning. He can survive and thrive low in the line up but is NOT currently a top 4 defender and more often than not struggles in that role.

He is getting older but still could easily take a big jump and become a top 4. I personally don't think anyone should be expecting that at this point though. Certainly not to replace Klefbom, that's bat shit crazy at this point in Jones career. You are thinking of the wrong Jones if you are expecting a replacement for Klefbom.

He does provide depth. His game took a good jump last year with limited minutes/opportunity. I see a lot of growth in his game. But he is still miles behind wherr Bear was last year and not in the same conversation of Klefbom.

I like to temper my expectations for most prospects and be pleasantly surprised when they surpass. If he replaces most of what Benning brought that would be big for the Oilers and I think that is a reasonable expectation for him... currently.

Reactions: BudBundy and 780il

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I certainly hope you're right. But hope usually isn't a very good strategy.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Jones, currently, is like Benning. He can survive and thrive low in the line up but is NOT currently a top 4 defender and more often than not struggles in that role.

He is getting older but still could easily take a big jump and become a top 4. I personally don't think anyone should be expecting that at this point though. Certainly not to replace Klefbom, that's bat shit crazy at this point in Jones career. You are thinking of the wrong Jones if you are expecting a replacement for Klefbom.

He does provide depth. His game took a good jump last year with limited minutes/opportunity. I see a lot of growth in his game. But he is still miles behind wherr Bear was last year and not in the same conversation of Klefbom.

I like to temper my expectations for most prospects and be pleasantly surprised when they surpass. If he replaces most of what Benning brought that would be big for the Oilers and I think that is a reasonable expectation for him... currently.
But he’s currently ahead of where Bear was before the start of last season...Bear wasn’t in most conversations to be a lineup regular before last season. At least Jones is considered by most to be a lock going into the incoming season.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

I'm sort of in the same boat.

I'm cautiously optimistic, but Jones hasn't, IMO, shown anything to say he's closer to being a top4 defenseman than another Benning.

Not saying he won't be a top4D, but I don't think we've seen anything that indicates he will for sure be one either.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017

I agree with ya. I think CJ is a great skater and he held his own last year. He got 4 goals 9 assists last year in limited games. I can see him jumping more into the rush this year. 6’1” 200 lb defence man who can skate are in demand. Hopefully he trains with Seth in offseason. I believe he is gonna have a big year as well. I’m gonna go out on a limb and say 9 goals, 20assist

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Have been really liking his progression these past couple years, but time is running out to establish himself as a top-4. He's not exactly 21 anymore.

I'd be happy to see him as a regular bottom-pairing guy next season and have every hope be ends up earning a spot on that second pairing.

Reactions: Aerchon

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think he has a considerably higher roof than Matt Benning. He's more skilled and has far fewer brain farts.

He's better at age 23 than Jeff Petry was at the same age for the Oilers. Now how far he goes is up to him, but I think there's definitely a good player there if he wants to put in the work.

The Oilers completely dominated the Hawks when he was on the ice in the play-in series outshooting them something like 24-5.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I'm sort of in the same boat.

I'm cautiously optimistic, but Jones hasn't, IMO, shown anything to say he's closer to being a top4 defenseman than another Benning.

Not saying he won't be a top4D, but I don't think we've seen anything that indicates he will for sure be one either.
Hopefully he comes in this year and shocks us the same way Bear did last year. Definitely would help offset the loss of Klefbom.

Reactions: McDNicks17

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

It's always a risk when a guy is forced up the lineup because of injury (especially to a key player like Klefbom). I think it's best for both Jones and the fans to have tempered expectations and let him outperform them. Good opportunity for him, hope he takes full advantage.

Reactions: Aerchon

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I recall watching Caleb Jones during the 16/17 WJC and thinking this kid is going to end up a top 4 defender in the NHL, it will take some time but once he gets there he will play for a long time. Nothing has changed my mind. He can skate like Ryan Suter and plays a 200-foot game. More people are underestimating this player's abilities than overestimating his abilities. He will end up a better player than T.J. Brodie.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
Since Klefbom is done for, Jones has become a very important player for this team. By the end of this season we will know exactly what kind of player he is. I think there's a good chance he will succeed but Tippett needs to be careful how he uses him. If he plays him too much there will be problems. He's not going to be a top tier guy but he can be a very good top 4.

Reactions: ujju2

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I agree with ya. I think CJ is a great skater and he held his own last year. He got 4 goals 9 assists last year in limited games. I can see him jumping more into the rush this year. 6’1” 200 lb defence man who can skate are in demand. Hopefully he trains with Seth in offseason. I believe he is gonna have a big year as well. I’m gonna go out on a limb and say 9 goals, 20assist
Yeah

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad