Player Discussion No love for Caleb Jones

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Goals per game? Spin however u want but the kid scored 4 goals last year. It is nothing special.
It will be a toss up between Jones Russell and Lagesson for roster spots all with pretty equal chance.

4 goals in 43 games is notable for basically a rookie d-man, the Oilers top D-Man for goals was Nurse with 5 goals in 71 games, lol. The much balley-hooed Ethan Bear had 5 goals but needed 28 more games to get an extra goal over Jones.

Klefbom should be honestly ashamed on himself, 5 goals being given all the prime PP time in the world with options like McDavid and Draisaitl is pathetic. His shot has gone completely to crap.

If Evan Bouchard can score 4 goals in 43 games next year, that would be OK. That is a very healthy goal scoring rate for a rookie d-man.

Lagesson needs to show a helluva lot more, he is clearly not on par with the other players you're trying to prop him up with. Maybe he can but I didn't see much from his game last year, looked slow to boot.

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
4 goals in 43 games is notable for basically a rookie d-man, the Oilers top D-Man for goals was Nurse with 5 goals in 71 games, lol. The much balley-hooed Ethan Bear had 5 goals but needed 28 more games to get an extra goal over Jones.

Klefbom should be honestly ashamed on himself, 5 goals being given all the prime PP time in the world with options like McDavid and Draisaitl is pathetic. His shot has gone completely to crap.

If Evan Bouchard can score 4 goals in 43 games next year, that would be OK.

Lagesson needs to show a helluva lot more, he is clearly not on par with the other players you're trying to prop him up with. Maybe he can but I didn't see much from his game last year, looked slow to boot.

It's a small sample size for most our young defenseman. I was slightly disappointed with Laggesson in the nhl but he was used so sparingly it was hard to get a read on him. I think saying he is clearly not on par is technically correct it is not wholly accurate either.

For example Broberg played one game in the nhl, a preseason/preplayoff game versus Calgary and looked waaaaaaaaaaaaay worse than Laggesson. I'd even say slower to boot. Broberg had limited opportunity and only one game that I'm not going to put much stock in. Ditto Laggesson until he gets time to acclimatize himself to nhl play.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I get when people say he isnt a great top 4 option but I disagree. When Holland bought out Sekera with the plan of having a young guy step up it was a bad hockey move but the right move for the team and organization. It allowed Bear to step up, and he wouldnt have if Sekera was on the team

It's time for Jones or someone else to step up. We have all this org depth in defense and so it's time again to flex it. Spending assets or cap is what you do when your cupboards are barren. You have to make room for guys. Jones has been third pairing but it's time for him to move up and someone else to take the lesser role

I know it seems scary to just hand the team over to young guys but with veterans like Nurse, Larsson and Russell around its not a big deal.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He started last year as a no.7 D one year ago ... which is *normal* for a kid with only 17 games NHL experience.

I'd say he graduated up to a no.5 D role last year.

If he wants to keep climbing the ladder, then the next stop is no.4 D-Man. That's on him to get there.

4 goals in 43 games in your first season taste (30 games or more) in the NHL by the way is a very healthy goal scoring rate for a rookie defenceman, especially with no PP time.

Like I said if Evan Bouchard gives you 4 goals in 43 games next year, Oiler fans should be pleased with that.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
I actually think Jones is going to be a little bit better than Bear within the next 2 years.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I actually think Jones is going to be a little bit better than Bear within the next 2 years.
Based on what?
Bear averaged 23mins vs CHI and logged massive minutes down the stretch.
Either you expect Bear to crash down or Jones to play as good as his brother in next 2 yrs to be making such claims.
What is the point of making such claims?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Based on what?
Either you expect Bear to crash down or Jones to play as good as his brother in next 2 yrs to be making such claims.
The gap between bear and seth jones is alot bigger than the one between Bear and Caleb Jones.

So saying he will be as good as his brother to be better than bear is ridiculous.

Reactions: Aerrol and nabob

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
The gap between bear and seth jones is alot bigger than the one between Bear and Caleb Jones.

So saying he will be as good as his brother to be better than bear is ridiculous.
Bear was our top pairing RD last year. Expecting Caleb Jones to be better is hoping for a lot. I can make outlandish claims and say Lagesson will be better than Broberg for Oilers as well. Maybe add why you think Jones would be better. What has he shown other than the 4 goals which have been mentioned 4 or 5 times already to suggest he would anything more than a 3rd pairing Dman next year? He also has expansion draft to clear and Samurai + Broberg on his heels. Lennstrom and Lagesson might push him out as well.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Based on what?
Bear struggled mightily in the Chicago series and his play faltered as the season went on. Not exactly examples of him being the star you are claiming him to be.

You claiming that Jones has to become as good as his brother to be better than Bear is complete nonsense. Unless you think Ethan Bear is a top 10 Dman in the entire NHL.

Reactions: AM

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Bear was great overall for the season and in a lot of ways probably saved the Oilers bacon when Larsson got injured early on ... that said he was terrible in that Chicago series.

Now it's probably the most least ideal way to throw a rookie d-man into their first playoff type experience (4 1/2 months off with no real warm up) and the downside to playing young D is they are going to crap on the carpet now and again just like a puppy does.

Hopefully he learns from that, but that Nurse/Bear pairing was awful in that series, Klefbom playing like he was afraid of a breeze and Larsson gone really devastated the D, we could have used Mike Green, at least he was an experienced player.

The best Oilers D in that series were Jones and Benning ... which basically sums up that series. Klefbom hurt, Larsson basically only played 1 game ... that left the Oilers with basically 2 rookies, Kris Russell, and Darnell Nurse trying to hold it together.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I would let Klefbom go in the expansion draft.

Hockey is a sport where as a defenceman your shoulder is going to get hit ... multiple times every game.

That's just never going to be a good thing with his shoulder, some how I doubt it magically gets better as he gets older.

If they select him the Oilers will gain $4 million in cap space which buys you a lot more in the flat cap era.

Reactions: MisterD

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
There are a number of reasons to believe that all of Klefbom, Larsson and Russell will be gone for the 21/22 season.
We definitely need Brain cramp Nurse to continue to work on consistency, and the Bear to gain more and more confidence and start using his shot, and for Jones really to understand two way.
Can Jones take that huge step like Bear did? It was hugely unlikely what Bear did and for Jones to progress linearly in the role we need him to this coming year is such a big ask.

Reactions: nally

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Could you imagine if he didn't try to "speed it up" and actually used those 2 picks? That would of been easily the best Oiler draft of all time

Well... let's not get ahead of ourselves.

1979 Entry
DraftNum.RoundPlayerPosDrafted FromGPGAPtsPIM
1979 Entry211Kevin LoweDQuebec Remparts [QMJHL]1254843484321498
1979 Entry483Mark MessierCCincinnati Stingers [WHA]1756694119318871910
1979 Entry694Glenn AndersonFU. of Denver [WCHA]112949860110991120
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

1980 Entry
1980 Entry61Paul CoffeyDKitchener Rangers [OHA]1409396113515311800
1980 Entry483Shawn BabcockRWindsor Spitfires [OHA]
1980 Entry694Jari KurriRJokerit Helsinki [SM-liiga]12516017971398545
1980 Entry905Walt PoddubnyRKingston Canadians [OHA]468184238422454
1980 Entry1116Mike WintherCBrandon Wheat Kings [WHL]
1980 Entry1327Andy MoogGBillings Bighorns [WHL]71302424230
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Of course that same regime retired to warm climates and after drafting Tikkanen in 1983, drafted exactly ZERO players of substance from 1984 to 1989 (with respect to Kelly Buchburger, who was far and away the most legit NHL drafted in those SIX years). Then in 1990, they laid this turd:

1990 Entry
1990 Entry171Scott AllisonWPrince Albert Raiders [WHL]
1990 Entry382Alexander LegaultDBoston University [H-East]
1990 Entry593Joe CrowleyLLawrence Academy (Mass.)
1990 Entry674Joel BlainLHull Olympiques [QMJHL]
1990 Entry1015Greg LouderGCushing Academy [Mass H.S.]
1990 Entry1226Keijo SailynojaFJokerit Helsinki [SM-liiga]
1990 Entry1437Mike PowerGWestern Michigan University [CCHA]
1990 Entry1648Roman Mejzlik Dukla Jihlava [Czech]
1990 Entry1859Richard ZemlickaFSparta Praha [Czech]
1990 Entry20610Petr KorinekCPlzen [Czech.]
1990 Entry24812Sami NuutinenDKiekko-Espoo [FinD1]

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: 780il

GOilers88

Upside Down Canadian Flag
Dec 24, 2016
I get when people say he isnt a great top 4 option but I disagree. When Holland bought out Sekera with the plan of having a young guy step up it was a bad hockey move but the right move for the team and organization. It allowed Bear to step up, and he wouldnt have if Sekera was on the team

It's time for Jones or someone else to step up. We have all this org depth in defense and so it's time again to flex it. Spending assets or cap is what you do when your cupboards are barren. You have to make room for guys. Jones has been third pairing but it's time for him to move up and someone else to take the lesser role

I know it seems scary to just hand the team over to young guys but with veterans like Nurse, Larsson and Russell around its not a big deal.
I think people think we have a bunch of depth on defense, but we don't actually know if we do or not. It is time to find out, I agree.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Petry was awesome from the get go. From his college days onwards he was touted to be someone just as good as Nurse /Bouchard. Jones doesn't come close to it.

Also, the Klefbom comment was a response to the poster who suggested keeping Jones and exposing Klefbom for expansion.

You should be responding to posters expecting great things from Jones as top 4 Dman and not me.

Are you kidding?
At the same age, Jones was a more established AHLer and Petry struggled mightily his first few years mainly because the Oilers were playing him too much, far from "awesome right away". Petry most definitely did NOT have the same pedigree as Bouchard coming into the league. Bouchard was far ahead of where Petry was at the same age.

I'm not saying that Jones will follow the same trajectory as Petry but the arrows are pointing up, you'd have to be blind to not see the progression in his game.

With that said, it's too soon to be sure that he'll be able to handle top 4 duties next season. He showed occasional flashes but he still has a ways to go to be counted on as a reliable top 4 defender.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Caleb has some good tools, and tools that are suitable for the NHL. Good skater, decent passer, decent size, mobile, and a good shot. Now it remains to be seen if he can use that last crucial part to take the final step to become a solid competent NHL defenceman. Will his brain and focus push him over the edge?

Reactions: yukoner88

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I would let Klefbom go in the expansion draft.

Hockey is a sport where as a defenceman your shoulder is going to get hit ... multiple times every game.

That's just never going to be a good thing with his shoulder, some how I doubt it magically gets better as he gets older.

If they select him the Oilers will gain $4 million in cap space which buys you a lot more in the flat cap era.

Uggh... that's a tough idea to swallow, but in 20 games I may be inclined to agree with you. Let's see how Jones does in the expanded role (to the OP, I think most of us have assumed it is a foregone conclusion he'll be our #4 with Larsson). I'm expecting him to tread water... if he excels I agree Soundwave, better to protect the asset that is likely to be healthy (and cheaper).

We really are missing that 25min a night D-man, which Klef could be only when healthy. It looks like a season of 'D-by-committee' which I hope will mean come good team buy in from the forwards.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
She’s a good interview and pretty passionate about her boys hockey.
upload_2020-11-30_15-31-11.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->