Post-Game Talk: No lead is safe with the Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I still think that this series will go 7 games.
The Blues are not that impressive and they have not outplayed us.

The Blues do not even come close to playing a 60 minute game and have relied on their goalie many times to bail them out.

No the Blues only outplay us in third periods when it counts!

Jets a very good two period team!

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
That picture gutted me and I have no reason why.

Maybe the camaraderie of sports and remembering, its just a game?

Maybe because of how divided we seem to be in the world now? If 2 fans of different teams can come together, we all should.

Also, I promise I'm not drunk, it's 11:30 in the morning

Best post of the thread, and I agree.

I’m also excited that I get to watch at least one more jets playoff game this year, and hopefully more than that. We have the team to do it.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Jet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
The sad part is even if he had frozen the puck for a faceoff ... the Blues owe the Jets on faceoffs.
You cannot blame one player for the loss ... the Blues wanted the game more than the Jets and it showed at the end.
It seems every time its a close game ... one Jet mistake and its in the back of the net.

I think you can blame Trouba for this loss pretty comfortably.

His penalty got the Blues back in the game.
His bullshit play behind the net and weak assed swat at the puck in front allowed the 3rd goal.

This is a top defender who wants big money? Someone else can pay it. I'd rather pay that to someone like Parayko or Pietrangelo who plays the way you have to in the playoffs to win.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
That picture gutted me and I have no reason why.

Maybe the camaraderie of sports and remembering, its just a game?

Maybe because of how divided we seem to be in the world now? If 2 fans of different teams can come together, we all should.

Also, I promise I'm not drunk, it's 11:30 in the morning
Blues fans are not the problem.
It's the so called Jet fans attacking the team ... its just a game ... somebody wins and someone has to lose.
Besides the series is not over.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Jet

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
It's not the end of the world .. it's hockey, we all know that a two goal lead sucks. If the losing team scores one they basically become ravenous sharks.. that can be said for any hockey team.

The Blues applied some pressure and scored a really controversial goal, then a lucky hail Mary type play paid off and they popped it in.

The Jets are the better team, we're gonna bring this one home and smoke them in game 7

If you look at these 2 teams, the Jet's have way more talent than St.Louis. As far as I can see their 2 dominant players are Petroangelo, and Terrasenko, and after that, they pretty much are an average ( or above) that works hard as a team. They also seem to put out a 60 minute effort every time out.

The Jet's have Buff, Wheeler, Scheif, Connor, Ehlers and Morrissey. We should be able to handle that team easily as we did in Game 4 --we were tenacious, and just kept coming at them in waves. This is the way we have to play to beat the Blues, as they will not quit.

Also, the Jet's seem to have this fear of losing in the 3rd period, when they have the lead. It becomes a self fulfilling prophesy. This is where Maurice has to instill a plan, make adjustments, and also the "players" have to put out a gritty 60 minute effort for the whole game. This losing leads fear --rears it's ugly head, and you can see how tentative the Jet's play with the lead. They need to keep their foot on the Gas--and realize that a great "offense" is your best "defense."

I still feel the Jet's have a great chance to pull this off --about 40% -- but they will have to dig down deep like they did the first 2 games in St.Louis.

The Jet's can win this thing -- but just how bad do they want it ???

Are the Jet's the better team --when it comes to will and effort ? I question this? but will be pulling for them all the way in Game 6 -- bring this series back to Winnipeg, and our odds will be 60% to win.:thumbu:

Example here -Hayes should have had 3 goals, but got 1, and we had a 4 minute power play, that didn't look that good. We have to convert these chances. I like Myers on the PP like last year, however Buff is good as well -- just like to see Myer's quarterbacking the PP as well.

We will soon see "who wants it more" ? and how much their willing to put out. C'mon boys--just win 1 more game, and bring this series back home.

Last edited:

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
BUT, for people to say Maurice is just somehow a bad coach when he's had great success with pretty much this exact same group is a total strawman.

I just want to take a moment and point out that this is not actually the case regarding great success.

In all of Maurices time in Winnipeg, we have completed 4 playoff series. We have won 2 and lost 2. We were swept in one. Last year we were heavy favorites to beat Vegas, and after winning game 1 we were swept.

It is very hard to look at Maurice's coaching tenure in Winnipeg and say great success. Now if you exclude playoff results from the discussion, it is probably even more difficult unless you just isolate down to one regular season year.

And I don't consider Maurice to be a bad coach. Considering the roster, he is a weak link though.

Hopefully this year is different and the team and Maurice do achieve great success.

Reactions: Jet

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I just want to take a moment and point out that this is not actually the case regarding great success.

In all of Maurices time in Winnipeg, we have completed 4 playoff series. We have won 2 and lost 2. We were swept in one. Last year we were heavy favorites to beat Vegas, and after winning game 1 we were swept.

It is very hard to look at Maurice's coaching tenure in Winnipeg and say great success. Now if you exclude playoff results from the discussion, it is probably even more difficult unless you just isolate down to one regular season year.

And I don't consider Maurice to be a bad coach. Considering the roster, he is a weak link though.

Hopefully this year is different and the team and Maurice do achieve great success.

Nvrmind. Miss read.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Benjamin Doveridge

Apr 15, 2019
Jets gone in 6. End of the season staff party is at St Andrews golf course on Sunday. Roslovic and Ehlers are the planners since they already checked out of the series.

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
While I'm not sure I've seen much of it in this thread, I am scratching my head at all this Trouba talk as if the one mistake among the myriad of errors at the end of the game was telling to his whole game and thus we should be happy to trade him away for another team to play him.

I for one, would not like to trade away a defenceman who we've relied on for all 82 games this season playing a very high 36% of all available 5v5 minutes in games, with an above-average 50.21CF% and 1.84RelCF%, 48.6xGF% and 1.45RelxGF%, within a season of where the Jets were treading nearly 40% in both categories for months, while taking the less or same amount of penalties as Chiarot, Myers, Byfuglien (with Kulikov not far behind) even though he has the highest amount minutes of Jets defencemen at 1435.8 TOI.

:huh:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

I am not a big Maurice booster, just for the record. I am totally fine with him being replaced in the offseason - as I think most coaches have a shelf life and I think we need a different message for this very talented group.

However, there is a certain segment of fandom that somehow thinks that Maurice is the reason we collapse late in games. Whilst he is not free from blame, the players make the stupid decisions and don't dial up the intensity on the ice, not Maurice.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
While I'm not sure I've seen much of it in this thread, I am scratching my head at all this Trouba talk as if the one mistake among the myriad of errors at the end of the game was telling to his whole game and thus we should be happy to trade him away for another team to play him.

I for one, would not like to trade away a defenceman who we've relied on for all 82 games this season playing a very high 36% of all available 5v5 minutes in games, with an above-average 50.21CF% and 1.84RelCF%, 48.6xGF% and 1.45RelxGF%, within a season of where the Jets were treading nearly 40% in both categories for months, while taking the less or same amount of penalties as Chiarot, Myers, Byfuglien (with Kulikov not far behind) even though he has the highest amount minutes of Jets defencemen at 1435.8 TOI.

Just goes to show how stats need context.

Trouba made 3 decisions that lost us the game last night. Trouba does not seem to step up when he is really needed. Of course he is a good defenseman but for the money he wants, and what the Jets NEED if we are to have playoff success, Trouba is a mistake. We need a Doughty.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Trouba screwed up. But I think we lost that game because we defaulted back to third period try to sit on a lead hockey, and perimeter shot hockey when in the offensive zone. We should have stuck with our Game 3, Game 4 game which had a lot more drive to net, drive to the dirty area hockey with pucks to the net. You know, playoff hockey.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Trouba screwed up. But I think we lost that game because we defaulted back to third period try to sit on a lead hockey, and perimeter shot hockey when in the offensive zone. We should have stuck with our Game 3, Game 4 game which had a lot more drive to net, drive to the dirty area hockey with pucks to the net. You know, playoff hockey.
While that is true, I am of the belief if the team doesn't get scored on in that PP early in the 3rd, they play it differently. To that point the were controlling the play for large parts of the game.
Who was in the box? Why was he in the box? :)

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
Just goes to show how stats need context.

Trouba made 3 decisions that lost us the game last night. Trouba does not seem to step up when he is really needed. Of course he is a good defenseman but for the money he wants, and what the Jets NEED if we are to have playoff success, Trouba is a mistake. We need a Doughty.
JBGEQyt.png
XnELDbW.png

My context says "Doughty was bad on a horrible team" and "Trouba was pretty good on a middling team".

Congratulations, you picked out 3 events that perhaps had costly results in the end. Can you please put together the thousands of other events that Trouba's had for me that has led to both good and bad results and we can see which one outweighs the other? Oh wait...

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
JBGEQyt.png
XnELDbW.png

My context says "Doughty was bad on a horrible team" and "Trouba was pretty good on a middling team".

Congratulations, you picked out 3 events that perhaps had costly results in the end. Can you please put together the thousands of other events that Trouba's had for me that has led to both good and bad results and we can see which one outweighs the other? Oh wait...

LOL so you are going to play it like that?

Another case as to why stats are bullshit most of the time in the hands of people hellbent to tell a story.

Please try to tell me that Drew Doughty has not had a HUGE resume of success in the playoffs
Please try to tell me that Jacob Trouba has driven success in the playoffs

Or you can just pull out more charts, I guess.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
While that is true, I am of the belief if the team doesn't get scored on in that PP early in the 3rd, they play it differently. To that point the were controlling the play for large parts of the game.
Who was in the box? Why was he in the box? :)

Yes, Trouba was in the box. And I stated in the GDT that he needs to be smarter than to be goaded into taking that penalty.

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
LOL so you are going to play it like that?

Another case as to why stats are bull**** most of the time in the hands of people hellbent to tell a story.

Please try to tell me that Drew Doughty has not had a HUGE resume of success in the playoffs
Please try to tell me that Jacob Trouba has driven success in the playoffs

Or you can just pull out more charts, I guess.
Funny, I tried to look up Doughty highlights in the playoffs for the last three years and I can only find one season's worth in which they got swept. What happened there? (Though if I'm being honest, he had a respectable CF% but an atrocious xGF% along with the rest of the team.)

I'm not hellbent to tell a story. If anything I'm the one trying to provide the context by trying to bring in the other thousands of minutes of Trouba's play to your few!

This is about to turn into Gardiner situation real quickly. We've already lost Enstrom and are still feeling the aftereffects. I dare you to tell me we would be a significantly better team without Jacob Trouba logging heavy minutes on the blueline and instead have Myers, or Niku, or Poolman taking that available ice time. But I guess we'll find out next year since he's a for sure goner eh?

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
So disappointing after that quick start. But it's often how you finish and not how you start(especially for this year's Jerts).

Team just can't clear the zone when they need to. It's been a problem most of the year.

I don't know about Ehlers man...he seems to shrivel in these playoff games.

We need to clone CLT.

Pls win Saturday.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg

You’d think this would be obvious.

sawchuk1971

Jun 16, 2011
Players are having slumps? It happens.

Roslo is having a gargantuan sophomore slump. You can't even put that 4th line out there (especially with sticky McStickerson Perreault)
Ehlers - Malaise
Laine - Malaise for over half a season
Scheifele - Malaise
Buff - Doesn't look 100%
Morrissey - Doesn't look 100%
Hellebuyck - Looking like last year was an outlier (but his positioning and mechanics looked MUCH better last year than any other time, so, Flaherty?)

I think a lot of our team is underperforming. You can say it's coaching and yes, that might have something to do with it. Maybe they need a different message to get them going. Maybe they need a coach that has the experience and respect of winning cups?

BUT, for people to say Maurice is just somehow a bad coach when he's had great success with pretty much this exact same group is a total strawman.

Absolutely he could do things better. BUT, he has had this this team playing dominant hockey for long stretches so he's proven he can.

The players need to nut up and get their heads right. The reason the Jets lose in the third is strictly between their ears. So many headscratching plays from near elite players.
do you think the absence of joel armia and toby enstrom has an effect on the jets winning this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad