Post-Game Talk: No lead is safe with the Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
In a playoff series, crapping the bed in one game is the difference between being on the verge of elimination vs being on the verge of moving on to the next round.
Only if its the last game. If Trouba gets the game winner in game 6 ... all is forgiven. Helle gets a shutout in game 7 ... nobody cares about one bad game.
Binnington had a bad game 3 right?

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
The sad part is even if he had frozen the puck for a faceoff ... the Blues owe the Jets on faceoffs.
You cannot blame one player for the loss ... the Blues wanted the game more than the Jets and it showed at the end.
It seems every time its a close game ... one Jet mistake and its in the back of the net.

Actually I'm not even blaming Trouba for the loss, I'm really blaming him for not getting the game into Overtime. And even if we had gotten to Overtime, the Jets very easily still could have lost. Trouba's attempt to freeze the puck cost us the chance to reorganize and come out differently in the Overtime.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Actually I'm not even blaming Trouba for the loss, I'm really blaming him for not getting the game into Overtime. And even if we had gotten to Overtime, the Jets very easily still could have lost. Trouba's attempt to freeze the puck cost us the chance to reorganize and come out differently in the Overtime.
**** happens we are all pissed over that loss ... hell I could not even sleep last night.

Reactions: GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
With all the negative comments, that you come to expect after a loss, we're certainly not being outclassed by the Blues. Most games have been decided by one goal. Very tight games, and we should have won the last one-- up 2 goals, and blew it.

St.Louis has been the hottest team in the Western Conference in the last half of this season, so their no pushovers.

The Jet's have played well, and if they win the next game, I'd say they take the series.

I only give them a 40 % chance to win Game 6 tho-if they do, they'll take the series.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Only if its the last game. If Trouba gets the game winner in game 6 ... all is forgiven. Helle gets a shutout in game 7 ... nobody cares about one bad game.
Binnington had a bad game 3 right?

Binni had a rough game 3, yes. A lot of that was because the Jets made him very uncomfortable. He folds when pressured with bodies and pucks. For some reason, the Jets often default back to a dump and chase, perimeter shot game that makes his life very comfortable and easy. If we do that in Game 6, it's over.

Reactions: snowkiddin

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Since the shot was in process and would have been on net and Buff was responsible for Sundqvist knocking the net off the moorings, it's a goal.

63.6 Awarded Goal - In the event that the goal post is displaced, either deliberately or accidentally, by a defending player or goalkeeper, prior to the puck crossing the goal line between the normal position of the goalposts, the Referee may award a goal.
In order to award a goal in this situation, the goal post must have been displaced by the actions a defending player or goalkeeper, the puck must have been shot (or the player must be in the act of shooting) at the goal prior to the goal post being displaced, and it must be determined that the puck would have entered the net between the normal position of the goal posts.

That rule gets me on this one... Buff doing that is probably the breaking point of the series, gets too passionate to the point he beings on too much physicality. Human wrecking ball he is.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
The doctor is in, and he's prescribing that you listen to this beautiful woman playing beautiful music. If that doesn't ratchet down your blood pressure 20%, then I'm not a real doctor.

Reactions: raideralex99

Instl

Dec 21, 2011
St. Louis
Binni had a rough game 3, yes. A lot of that was because the Jets made him very uncomfortable. He folds when pressured with bodies and pucks. For some reason, the Jets often default back to a dump and chase, perimeter shot game that makes his life very comfortable and easy. If we do that in Game 6, it's over.

I know I'm a Blues fan in a Jet's forum but I want to disagree with your Binnington assessment. Yes, he gave up 6 (most goalies would have been pulled after 4) but, other than the Buff goal, those were not ones I would put on Binnington but on a crappy playing team in front of him.

1st goal. Hayes through traffic right after he stopped point blank shots from Little and Perrault
2nd goal. Laine by himself in the slot.
3rd goal. Connor PP goal from the circle on a cross ice pass.
4th goal. Tanev on a skate blade deflection
5th goal. Buff off the head.
6th goal. Connor again. I don't remember that one but I don't think it was on Binnington.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
This is not true -
Trouba rarely gets called out - as would be expected.
Myers, Chia, Kuli, Morrow, etc get called out on a regular basis around here.
But it just so happens Trouba had a coupel of tough spots last night that arguably cost us the game.

No kidding. No idea what he's talking about.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Trouba was bad last night at the end but he was pretty good up to that point. He was probably our best D last night until the last 20 seconds of the game. And yet, numerous people are now happy to run him out of town.

Who is running Trouba out of town :huh:

Benjamin Doveridge

Apr 15, 2019
Ehlers is as useful as a bag of ice in the Arctic whenever the playoffs roll around. How do we justify paying that guy $6 million? If the Jets want to pay someone $73,000/game to skate around, get no points and no hits, then I will be more than happy to get that job.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

He has some of the worst rebound control I’ve ever seen from a goalie at the NHL level. It’s actually incredible that the Jets haven’t been able to capitalize on it very much.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I know I'm a Blues fan in a Jet's forum but I want to disagree with your Binnington assessment. Yes, he gave up 6 (most goalies would have been pulled after 4) but, other than the Buff goal, those were not ones I would put on Binnington but on a crappy playing team in front of him.

1st goal. Hayes through traffic right after he stopped point blank shots from Little and Perrault
2nd goal. Laine by himself in the slot.
3rd goal. Connor PP goal from the circle on a cross ice pass.
4th goal. Tanev on a skate blade deflection
5th goal. Buff off the head.
6th goal. Connor again. I don't remember that one but I don't think it was on Binnington.

1st goal: Hayes rolled it at him from the blue line. No excuse for that. If Helle let that in this board would have eaten him alive.
2nd goal: Horrendous defense, but Binnington over committed.
3rd: Just a beauty snipe.
4th: Tough save but you gotta have it given how the game was going.
5th: Buff’s goal. A goalie at the NHL level should never give something like that up.
6th: Connor again. I don’t remember it but I think it was on Binnington.

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
Ehlers is as useful as a bag of ice in the Arctic whenever the playoffs roll around. How do we justify paying that guy $6 million? If the Jets want to pay someone $73,000/game to skate around, get no points and no hits, then I will be more than happy to get that job.
He doesn't get paid in the playoffs. Coincidence?

Last edited:
Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Funny, I tried to look up Doughty highlights in the playoffs for the last three years and I can only find one season's worth in which they got swept. What happened there? (Though if I'm being honest, he had a respectable CF% but an atrocious xGF% along with the rest of the team.)

I'm not hellbent to tell a story. If anything I'm the one trying to provide the context by trying to bring in the other thousands of minutes of Trouba's play to your few!

This is about to turn into Gardiner situation real quickly. We've already lost Enstrom and are still feeling the aftereffects. I dare you to tell me we would be a significantly better team without Jacob Trouba logging heavy minutes on the blueline and instead have Myers, or Niku, or Poolman taking that available ice time. But I guess we'll find out next year since he's a for sure goner eh?

I'm not suggesting that Jacob gone and no replacement is better. I am suggesting there is much better at his price point and we should be looking at that instead.
Sorry for coming at you so hard, that loss last night has me salty af

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Another case as to why stats are bull**** most of the time in the hands of people hellbent to tell a story.

This may surprise people, but I was a big stats guy when I was discussing NFL football back in the day and I always made the stats tell the story that I was trying to spin.

“Your opinions are ignorant. My stats tell you that you are wrong!”

Ha ha, good times!

Reactions: Jet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad