Speculation: No Free Agent “Frenzy” this year?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I think Dubas may have a bit of a mis-read on the market... players are going to be eager to sign deals before getting shut out of the remaining cap and budget space this year.

Yeah, the guys who are going for around league minimum might stick it out a bit.... but the mid-tier guys are going to get nervous and maybe be willing to jump on an early deal. Guys like Hoffman, Dadonov, Barrie, Toffoli, Brodie, Vatanen, Shattenkirk, Gurtafsson, Haula, Hamonic, Tanev, Gudas, Schultz.

As for how it impacts the Leafs potential need to move both AJ and Kerfoot, I think Dubas did well to move on Kapanen (while returning an all-futures deal) when he did. With the influx of UFAs that are basically the same age as these 2; it's hard to justify giving up much --but there will still be some who prefer the upside that both players have, as well as the locked in deals for the next 3 years.

The challenge of course is -- if you wait until after the mid-tier guys are gone, it's quite possible that there's just no more budget space left for these two elsewhere... which means that realistically, you've gotta have some idea of what your roster cap composition looks like before tomorrow -- notably that #1 RD spot.

1. Is it Alex Pietrangelo at ~$8m, Kerfoot & Johnsson gone, replaced by the likes of a Crouse and maybe a Mark Jankowski? Mikheyev & Dermott on one year deals to keep their cap hit down.

2. Is it TJ Brodie, Travis Hamonic, or Chris Tanev at somewhere between $3.5m to $5m, with one of Kerfoot or Johnsson gone? Josh Manson would also fit in this cap hit envelope.

3. Is it a guy like Aaron Ekblad, Colton Parayko or Matt Dumba at somewhere between $5.5m and $7.5m? Ekblad would mean both have to go unless Nylander is used in the return, for Dumba or Parayko you can probably get away with trading 1 of Kerfoot/AJ, and they'd likely be heading the other way regardless -- so less of a concern. The big challenge with this approach -- Parayko isn't going to be available unless Pietrangelo resigns with the Blues, and Ekblad may not be available unless Pietrangelo is signing with the Panthers. If it's going to be Ekblad, you probably want to keep both Kerfoot & Johnsson as Nylander goes the other way.

Dubas is in somewhat of a no-win situation. If we assume he's going UFA with option 1 or 2, then he'd likely be best served making his decision on which of Kerfoot/Johnsson to maybe keep -- and moving on 1 of them before things get going here. If it ends up being Pietrangelo, at least you're only stuck with moving 1 guy after the fact.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Nope.

It's called tampering. And the rules are strict.

Also the biggest reason why those instant deals will not happen this year.

CBA Eliminates Free Agent Interview Period - NHL Trade Talk

Those instant deals happen before the interview period, all the interview period did was make tampering legal.

The ONLY reason you might not see those instant deals happen this year is because of the flat cap that might make it harder I'm not so easily fooled as to believe there aren't ways around those rules.

all Kyle or anybody else would have to do is go to one of Gudas's friends on the team and have them bring it up in conversation.

You can have all the rules you want you can't stop players from talking.

Patrick Maroon was on Toronto radio recently the host straight up asked about coming here he said "I think you might be on to something."

You sure the host doesn't have a friend in management that maybe asked him to put it out there?

Even if they didn't they now know he's interested.

Tampering is EASY to get around.

You can't stop players from talking and you can't stop the media from asking questions

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Nope.

It's called tampering. And the rules are strict.

Also the biggest reason why those instant deals will not happen this year.

CBA Eliminates Free Agent Interview Period - NHL Trade Talk

I agree

Any UFA signing 5 mins after noon will raise red flags on tampering.

It’s going to be hard to control the hypothetical conversations like a gm and agent are friends or one gm just negotiated an RFA extension on one of their players but they talk about an upcoming UFA who the agent also owns.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
It's easy to see which teams have space left on the cap, but it's harder to know which teams have their own internal cap because of the economy etc.

The next few days will be interesting to say the least.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
GM’s have no money to work while others are chicken shirt to sign anyone that’s not far below market value .
In other words , not much movement at all .
As a Devils fan , wake me up when it’s the start of next years draft . If Schneider is still playing it will be a top 5 pick so at lest that’s exciting ....

crayzy8

Jul 7, 2009
Carleton Place
It's time like these that top free agents may actually want to sign with lesser teams because they'll have the cap space to sign them lol

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
I expect guys like Hoffman, Hall, Dadonov and Pietrangelo to sign over the course of the weekend and take their time.

But I expect the opposite for middle tier guys. There's only so much money to go around and these guys won't want to be left standing without a chair. Guys like Granlund, Smith, Simmonds, Gudas, Maroon, Haula, Tanev, Brodie, Fast and all the goalies to be signing pretty quickly.

Take a guy like Edmundson. Many teams apparently called Montreal after they got him to let Bergevin know they would have been after him on UFA day. In the end, he signed quickly in Montreal because he didn't want to risk getting to the UFA market. I expect the guys of that calibre to have the same mentality.
Sounds made up. So you mean rivalling GM's called Bergevin and told him "damn, we were going to sign him. Damn you Marc!"?

Why would any GM call him for re-signing a #4-5 defenseman? Lol.

Who told you this? Bergevin and his entourage leaked it to the press i bet.

Same shit when he lowballed Aho. He was a cheapskate (didn't want to give up too many picks) and offered a deal he knew Canes would match. Therefore he won some fans appreciation for "trying" to sign Aho.

But it's evident he didn't try his very best in order to obtain Aho.

Bergevin isn't a very good GM. So he manipulates the media to keep some fans of his back.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
It’s only the leafs luck they signed their core at the peak of the cap and signed deals that only made sense if the cap continued to increase...
Dude... he overpaid 'em no matter how you slice it.

Unlucky? Sure.
Did he still overpay some of the players? Yep.

You reap what you sow.

Reactions: Leafs87

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
UFA activity will be the same..it's not that frenzy. I think when we say frenzy, we mean trade frenzy.

I think there will be as many trades as there are UFA signings.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
It'll be interesting to see what they sign for. Teams got less money to use and the cap is flat.

Will star players sign for max 3 years and try to get more $ if/when this ordeal with COVID is over?

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Sounds made up. So you mean rivalling GM's called Bergevin and told him "damn, we were going to sign him. Damn you Marc!"?

Why would any GM call him for re-signing a #4-5 defenseman? Lol.

Who told you this? Bergevin and his entourage leaked it to the press i bet.

Same shit when he lowballed Aho. He was a cheapskate (didn't want to give up too many picks) and offered a deal he knew Canes would match. Therefore he won some fans appreciation for "trying" to sign Aho.

But it's evident he didn't try his very best in order to obtain Aho.

Bergevin isn't a very good GM. So he manipulates the media to keep some fans of his back.

You're going full conspiracy here. What he said was confirmed by a lot of pundits around the league before he even mentionned it. But who am I to take their word for it when I can read what some nobody is saying on HFBoards.

As far as Aho is concerned, the offersheet was made to save face. He quite clearly put all of his eggs on Matt Duchene and had a better offer than Nashville on the table, but Duchene ended up picking Nashville anyway. He was left naked and had to do something. Which was putting together a ridiculous offersheet on Aho.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
You're going full conspiracy here.
Most of the time there's news it's someone on the inside feeding info.

Ask yourself this: who's got most to gain from this?

Also why the f*** would GM's call another GM and praise him for re-signing a decent player? Makes no sense. I've literally never heard of this, it's unheard of.

Please provide an example how a call like that would sound like. This is hilarious hahaha.

Reactions: Merrrlin

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I agree

Any UFA signing 5 mins after noon will raise red flags on tampering.

It’s going to be hard to control the hypothetical conversations like a gm and agent are friends or one gm just negotiated an RFA extension on one of their players but they talk about an upcoming UFA who the agent also owns.

Any UFA signing on day 1 should raise red flags you can't put together a multi million dollar contract in a day

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I expect guys like Hoffman, Hall, Dadonov and Pietrangelo to sign over the course of the weekend and take their time.

But I expect the opposite for middle tier guys. There's only so much money to go around and these guys won't want to be left standing without a chair. Guys like Granlund, Smith, Simmonds, Gudas, Maroon, Haula, Tanev, Brodie, Fast and all the goalies to be signing pretty quickly.

Take a guy like Edmundson. Many teams apparently called Montreal after they got him to let Bergevin know they would have been after him on UFA day. In the end, he signed quickly in Montreal because he didn't want to risk getting to the UFA market. I expect the guys of that calibre to have the same mentality.

Narrator: "Yzerman tried his best not to laugh, as he told Bergevin - oh yes, we couldn't wait to pay Edmundson that much, nice job Marc! Tears ran down his cheeks as he stifled another laugh"

tenor.gif

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Narrator: "Yzerman tried his best not to laugh, as he told Bergevin - oh yes, we couldn't wait to pay Edmundson that much, nice job Marc! Tears ran down his cheeks as he stifled another laugh"

tenor.gif
It's not often i agree with an isles fan since I'm a Rangers fan, but you're aight :nod:.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't see why not. If the Leafs have an offer ready, it shouldn't take one hour for Gudas to accept.

But they haven't been talking, and the deal will not be published noon sharp. Massive difference.

So you think it takes an hour to put together a multi million dollar contract, or even a 700K dollar contract?

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
So you think it takes an hour to put together a multi million dollar contract, or even a 700K dollar contract?
No reason you can't prepare the paper work in advance, and once presented, if both sides are willing, a deal can come together quite fast.

A team may even give a time limit for a response, because they need to know if they need to go a different direction. You don't want to miss out on your plan B.

Have you forgotten the fines and penalties the league has given to teams like the Leafs, Canucks and Blues for tampering?

No GM would tolerate another GM talking contract or money with their players, without their clear permission.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
No reason you can't prepare the paper work in advance, and once presented, if both sides are willing, a deal can come together quite fast.

A team may even give a time limit for a response, because they need to know if they need to go a different direction. You don't want to miss out on your plan B.

Have you forgotten the fines and penalties the league has given to teams like the Leafs, Canucks and Blues for tampering?

No GM would tolerate another GM talking contract or money with their players, without their clear permission.

Like I said there is no reason Dubas or anybody else can't ask somebody who is on the team and friends with Gudas to bring it up in conversation.

Or have a host who has an interview ask and see what he says.

Like was recently asked of Maroon and he said "I think you might be on to something."

Even if they didn't have anything to do with that now they know.

Tampering is EASY to get around

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
So a smart GM will wait to see teams overpay middle 6 players on day 1 and wait to see which cheap talent pops up. The top guys will get paid but I think this market could be good for rebuilding teams like Red Wings,Devils,Ducks,Sens,Sabres,Kings and Hawks.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
With all the unqualified RFAs, this free agent period is going to be an absolute massacre on the middling and lower-tier players - I can see players taking short-term contracts at half value and/or to locations where they previously wouldn't, just to make sure they're still in the league when the puck drops again. It's a buyer's market, any GM with cap right now has so many options it's not even funny. The Jets have holes in the lineup, but we could fix nearly all of them with some added luxuries this time. I can also see teams making bad trades to free up cap to sign players they previously had no chance at. This weekend is going to be AWESOME.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Without the week negotiating period. I expect we will wait for Hall, Krug and Pietrangelo to sign first before most other signings happen

That was never a problem before the negotiating period existed. Plenty of years where 90% of the top targets signed within the first few hours.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad