Speculation: No Free Agent “Frenzy” this year?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Leafs GM Kyle Dubas said during his presser that free agents and teams might sign over the course of a few days this year instead of a crazy frenzy in one day, to the nature of the NHL economy we are in right now.

Reactions: New Liskeard

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I expect guys like Hoffman, Hall, Dadonov and Pietrangelo to sign over the course of the weekend and take their time.

But I expect the opposite for middle tier guys. There's only so much money to go around and these guys won't want to be left standing without a chair. Guys like Granlund, Smith, Simmonds, Gudas, Maroon, Haula, Tanev, Brodie, Fast and all the goalies to be signing pretty quickly.

Take a guy like Edmundson. Many teams apparently called Montreal after they got him to let Bergevin know they would have been after him on UFA day. In the end, he signed quickly in Montreal because he didn't want to risk getting to the UFA market. I expect the guys of that calibre to have the same mentality.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Yup players will either take the offer on the table or risk not having work. Only so much cap space and money available. Players are going to be telling there agents to not play hard ball I bet unless you are a top ufa.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
Yup players will either take the offer on the table or risk not having work. Only so much cap space and money available. Players are going to be telling there agents to not play hard ball I bet unless you are a top ufa.
Agree. I think guys sign quicker so they have a spot for next year

Reactions: Morrison

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Without the week negotiating period. I expect we will wait for Hall, Krug and Pietrangelo to sign first before most other signings happen

Reactions: Morrison

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Without the week negotiating period. I expect we will wait for Hall, Krug and Pietrangelo to sign first before most other signings happen

Depends. I don't see the goalies, Gudas or Jesper Fast having anyone telling them "Wait! You're our plan B if we don't get Hall/Pietrangelo/Krug"

Reactions: Reddwit

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Leafs GM Kyle Dubas said during his presser that free agents and teams might sign over the course of a few days this year instead of a crazy frenzy in one day, to the nature of the NHL economy we are in right now.

There aren’t supposed to be talking to thrm a few days before like they did in the past so you aren’t going to see boom boom boom in day 1.

Instead you will choke on whatever is eaten in Canadian thxgvg.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
There aren’t supposed to be talking to thrm a few days before like they did in the past so you aren’t going to see boom boom boom in day 1.

There has always been a frenzy even when the teams were not supposed to talk to the players until July 1st...everyone knew the teams and players were talking its why they put the window in the CBA to begin with. how else could you explain that a bunch of players all signed within minutes of free agency opening.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

They aren't supposed to be talking but they are

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Guys of course they are talking now, hell there are already rumours of both Simmonds and Gudas to the Leafs being done, assuming Toronto doesn't sign Pietroangelo or trade for another D

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I don’t see the potential for a lot of trades with the number of ufa’s on the market.

Bottom 6 forwards with caphits greater than 3M will be tough to move. This includes players like The Leafs A.J, Habs Byron and Avs Compher, Donskoi etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad