Speculation: No Free Agent “Frenzy” this year?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I don’t see the potential for a lot of trades with the number of ufa’s on the market.

Bottom 6 forwards with caphits greater than 3M will be tough to move. This includes players like The Leafs A.J, Habs Byron and Avs Compher, Donskoi etc.

Some trades will happen tomorrow before UFA opens.

There are many teams against the cap and need to free up space to sign RFAs.

A team like Tampa waits ....most of the teams that had space could have used it.

in the UFA market is there anything beyond PA, Hall, Krug, and a couple other players that might want high money. The prices on others are likely going to drop and team can control their spending.

There isn’t much top 6/top 4 talent out there. That will come from trades.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
You can go 10% over the cap in the offseason.
I’m predicting they will do just that . In the process of trying to unload the cap hits of Johnsson, Kerfoot and others they will make a claim to the league that the other 30 teams are colluding against them when they can’t get what they want for them .

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Guys of course they are talking now, hell there are already rumours of both Simmonds and Gudas to the Leafs being done, assuming Toronto doesn't sign Pietroangelo or trade for another D

Simmonds was given permission to talk to other teams. Gudas agreeing to sign with TML over the summer on the other hand...

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
I mean, he’s probably not wrong. But Dubas’ market and the rest of the league’s market seems to be a little different...

Edit: just to be clear, this is an “Dubas overpays joke ;)

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
maybe the big names wait but bottom 6/ bottom pairing guys are gonna wanna secure jobs quickly.

Reactions: violaswallet

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
With Hall + Piets as free agents, it should still be interesting. Without looking it up 2012 (Parise + Suter) was probably the last time we had two players on their skill level hit the market at the same time?

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
You'll probably see a handful of teams try and jump the gun - get teams with cap space to take on contracts for pennies on the dollar - then grab their UFA or two. The longer UFA period goes the less teams with cap will have as they begin taking contracts. So UFAs definitely have an incentive to jump in early even if it's for less. Should be very interesting.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
It’s only the leafs luck they signed their core at the peak of the cap and signed deals that only made sense if the cap continued to increase...

Whereas Detroit had to rework all their cap issues on the fly with actual ludicrous declines in the cap (05 and 12) instead of it just not going up.

Reactions: Leafs87

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
I'd get Granlund on a cap friendly deal while his stock is low. Very confident he'll regain form with a change of scenery.

Good fit for a team like Panthers with some Finns in their lineup.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
They aren't supposed to be talking but they are

Aren't supposed is a vague term.

Rumours have it that the Buffalo Sabres have given the permission to other teams to discuss with Wayne Simmonds' agent, since they won't re-sign him. Nothing says quite a few teams aren't doing the same with the players they know they won't re-sign.

I think that's why you have some agreements that are made a few minutes into free agency.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Aren't supposed is a vague term.

Rumours have it that the Buffalo Sabres have given the permission to other teams to discuss with Wayne Simmonds' agent, since they won't re-sign him. Nothing says quite a few teams aren't doing the same with the players they know they won't re-sign.

I think that's why you have some agreements that are made a few minutes into free agency.

Let's not forget: Krug's rights are being traded tomorrow.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
RFA d-day was a shock to the market. I guarantee that mid-tier guys are sweating hard now.

We're going to find out which GMs and agents can adjust on the fly.

There are more players available than salary to be spent. The right strategy as a GM is to preserve some cap space for the endgame because there are going to be very good players begging for $1m contracts.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
I have a feeling that the top tier UFA will sign one or 2 year deals for decent money to wait out the flat cap "era".

And in 2 years, when the cap increases, get paid!

Or players will sign for longer term if they get big signing bonuses since it's guaranteed money.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
You don't actually believe teams will wait until Friday do you? Teams are talking now
I think there are pretty heavy fines and threat of losing draft picks if you are caught talking to a player under contract.

Imagine trying to sign your upcoming UFA and another GM keeps calling him? You raise a shitstorm.

To talk to a pending UFA, you need to ask his GM for permission.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think there are pretty heavy fines and threat of losing draft picks if you are caught talking to a player under contract.

Imagine trying to sign your upcoming UFA and another GM keeps calling him? You raise a shitstorm.

To talk to a pending UFA, you need to ask his GM for permission.

So you actually believe that when Mikeal Granuland sign with Colorado for example,and say it's 2 years 10 million and it comes in about 20 minutes after free agency opens you think it took 20 minutes to put together a 2 year 10 million dollar contract?

OR maybe they spoke previously?

There are already rumours Gudas to the Leafs is agreed to assuming Toronto doesn't sign Pietroangelo or trade for another RD.

If that happens 30 minutes after free agency opens you think it took 30 minutes to put that together?

Teams are absolutely talking already guaranteed

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
So you actually believe that when Mikeal Granuland sign with Colorado for example,and say it's 2 years 10 million and it comes in about 20 minutes after free agency opens you think it took 20 minutes to put together a 2 year 10 million dollar contract?

OR maybe they spoke previously?

There are already rumours Gudas to the Leafs is agreed to assuming Toronto doesn't sign Pietroangelo or trade for another RD.

If that happens 30 minutes after free agency opens you think it took 30 minutes to put that together?

Teams are absolutely talking already guaranteed
Nope.

It's called tampering. And the rules are strict.

Also the biggest reason why those instant deals will not happen this year.

CBA Eliminates Free Agent Interview Period - NHL Trade Talk

Reactions: weslox

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
So you're saying we won't hear a 'Gudas signs with the Leafs' announcement by 1pm EST tomorrow?
I don't see why not. If the Leafs have an offer ready, it shouldn't take one hour for Gudas to accept.

But they haven't been talking, and the deal will not be published noon sharp. Massive difference.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I’m predicting they will do just that . In the process of trying to unload the cap hits of Johnsson, Kerfoot and others they will make a claim to the league that the other 30 teams are colluding against them when they can’t get what they want for them .

I think the issue is on nylander.....

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
There aren’t supposed to be talking to thrm a few days before like they did in the past so you aren’t going to see boom boom boom in day 1.

Instead you will choke on whatever is eaten in Canadian thxgvg.
I have no idea what this is supposed to mean, but it sounds stupid

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Hall likely won’t sign til Monday or a Tuesday. He’ll take his time and weigh his options.
Pietrangelo, likely mid to late day Friday. I think he knows where he’s going.
The rest will trickle in as they always do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad