No extension will be given for Lebreton

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I predict they wont need one and EM is gone team will be sold

Other than the CTC is far out of town for a number of people there really isn't anything wrong about the place, it's still in pretty good shape. I'm quite sure if EM (dickhead) wants to stay in Kanata (actually Stittsville) he will. And if the NCC puts out another proposal for Lebreton, than he could bid on it again I assume & we all ride the merry-go-round for another yr or so. My guess is that they will eventually go through the whole process again at some future point & EM finds some other partners he can screw over.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Other than the CTC is far out of town for a number of people there really isn't anything wrong about the place, it's still in pretty good shape. I'm quite sure if EM (********) wants to stay in Kanata (actually Stittsville) he will. And if the NCC puts out another proposal for Lebreton, than he could bid on it again I assume & we all ride the merry-go-round for another yr or so. My guess is that they will eventually go through the whole process again at some future point & EM finds some other partners he can screw over.
He isnt some young healthy man....He is going to cash out,its how he does business....There is no hope for him here if he stays on and he knows it

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
He isnt some young healthy man....He is going to cash out,its how he does business....There is no hope for him here if he stays on and he knows it
Geez, I hope so, but as well as being a greedy SOB he also seems to be a stubborn SOB. Let's hope greed wins out.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I don't think there is much Bettman can do if Melnyk just picked up the team and left still owning the team. The NFL has had issues when teams threatened legal action if the league intervened.

If Melnyk wants to sell to an owner in another city, that's a different story.

Bingo. Melnyk could announce on Thursday "Hey I'm going to move this team to another city in 2021 due to financial losses etc.", Bettman can't stop that as you said since he's the owner, he can do whatever the hell he wants.

If sells the team to Balsille 2.0, that won't be allowed since it's moving a team and adding a new owner, two things we know Bettman hates.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Geez, I hope so, but as well as being a greedy SOB he also seems to be a stubborn SOB. Let's hope greed wins out.
Think about it...This is playing out just as most of his previous stuff did...Devcore is likely ok with a rebuild...As they are going to have some big enough checks to cut in buying the team and funding Lebreton,now they can come in with a clean slate and without having the pressure and the expense of trying to keep three pretty big tickets

member 157595

no deaI attendance goes down and Ieads to meIynk and company attacking fan base then trys to move team is my prediction

The NHL will likely push back aggressively on Melnyk selling for relocation if there's a local buyer at/near market price.

The NHL has far less leverage (if any) in the scenario that Melnyk tries to relocate the Senators himself and keep ownership. However, I may not be a Senators fan but I do know that Melnyk is a control freak and I don't think he wants to play in someone else's arena unless he gets the mother of all lease agreements. What out-of-town market would welcome Eugene Melynk of all people with open arms? Also, could Melnyk even afford to do such a thing in the first place?

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Bingo. Melnyk could announce on Thursday "Hey I'm going to move this team to another city in 2021 due to financial losses etc.", Bettman can't stop that as you said since he's the owner, he can do whatever the hell he wants.

If sells the team to Balsille 2.0, that won't be allowed since it's moving a team and adding a new owner, two things we know Bettman hates.

But again, how is he going to afford relocation to another city when he can't even afford relocation to Lebreton?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Melnyk has no NHL rights to any market other than Ottawa. He cannot move anywhere.

Reactions: Peptic Balcers

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
No extension, yeah sure, blah blah blah. Maybe the aquarium they put there instead then will pay for the soil remediation. I definitely also think the more interesting thing is what tax breaks was Melnyk trying to get during his visit to parliament hill.

Still dont see anything that hints Melnyk is on the verge of selling. Everything to me points the exact opposite direction, much to my chagrin

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa

"Hey you're not playing in the NHL then".

Major sports leagues are cartels. The 30 other owners are not going to accept Melnyk taking away a ~750 million expansion fee they can pocket. Bettman has no appetite to relocate a team that has exclusive rights to an arena. The few times he has moved a team in recent years it's been because of expiring leases/rent agreements the teams were unable to renew.

This is not something Melnyk can do on his own. And even if he could: the hundreds of millions it would cost to move a team, rebrand and gain a following is a huge turnoff. The guy can barely finance (or does not want to) his team in Ottawa but he's going to spend hundreds of millions to move to another city? LOL alright there.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
"Hey you're not playing in the NHL then".

Major sports leagues are cartels. The 30 other owners are not going to accept Melnyk taking away a ~750 million expansion fee they can pocket. Bettman has no appetite to relocate a team that has exclusive rights to an arena. The few times he has moved a team in recent years it's been because of expiring leases/rent agreements the teams were unable to renew.

This is not something Melnyk can do on his own. And even if he could: the hundreds of millions it would cost to move a team, rebrand and gain a following is a huge turnoff. The guy can barely finance (or does not want to) his team in Ottawa but he's going to spend hundreds of millions to move to another city? LOL alright there.

Couldn’t find a copy of the NHL constitution and bylaws but the parts quoted in this article (if accurate) all but confirm that Melnyk unilaterally moving the team from Ottawa against the will of the league/BOG would, for all intents and purposes, be impossible :

How to move an NHL franchise

In particular look at a,b,c,d,e,f,g,m,n,o,p,v,w and most importantly x. These all create various levels of difficulty for Melnyk.

Unilateral relocation is just not a realistic risk.

Last edited:

billpo

Jun 28, 2006
Is this good news or bad news? Is Melynk going to sell and retire to Barbados?

You can take this with a grain of salt...but this is from a someone who is connected...

Apparently the Cirque du Soleil group is part of the Lebreton negotiations because they paid off Melnyk's $100 million debt to the NHL,
as well as helping them refinance existing debt that they were paying a very high interest on.

There was a deal to sell the team, but the NHL nixed it.

The sale would have been for 450 mill. apparently

Because of Seattle coming into the league at 650 mill.

so once Seattle is settled..there could be a Sale.

again...this is what I heard...

Reactions: Mr Hat

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
We know there will be an NHL quality arena built in Lebreton. Whether it's in the next few years, or a decade or two, it will happen. The league isn't going to walk away from that.

Don't worry about it. Let the bigwigs do their thing.

It's not like this team is goign to be competitive withint he next 5 years either way. Not with this teardown.

Ser Grogu

Dank farrik
Aug 6, 2009
You can take this with a grain of salt...but this is from a someone who is connected...

Apparently the Cirque du Soleil group is part of the Lebreton negotiations because they paid off Melnyk's $100 million debt to the NHL,
as well as helping them refinance existing debt that they were paying a very high interest on.

9xHSO0I.jpg

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa

Do the Sens stay in Ottawa?

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012

This sounds insane.

But we are dealing with Melnyk. . . .

Reactions: billpo

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

The debt he never had? Doubt it. He must have tried for another extension and got told to scram.
Or good entertainment 101 says build suspense act like it’s the end of the deadline with ominous background music and...bammm drop the good news. Yay!
Who knows tho Rudy sees a golden goose to support his project and I don’t know how anyone could expect Melnyk to sign up for anything worse than he has now. Devcore probably wants to bang both their heads together every time they have a sit down.

It might be best if they just all walk away, realistically I see the tax payers money being spent on land decontaminization and then everyone walking away because a global economic downturn and there will be nothing left but a giant hole in the ground and a large bill for the city.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad