No extension will be given for Lebreton

Status
Not open for further replies.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
As someone who hasn't followed the Lebreton developments too closely can someone explain what the consequences are?

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
no deaI attendance goes down and Ieads to meIynk and company attacking fan base then trys to move team is my prediction

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
So they either already have a deal or it’s over? Am I understanding that right?
Think about it...You have just shelled out 600+ mil for the team,and have to then spend more to start the huge development project...EM isnt as stupid as some seem to think he is ,he has to know he cant stay as owner of this team...My bet is he has sold ,and also finished off the dirty work for the new ownership..So they have a clean slate with the fanbase,but dont have to commit to 100,s of millions in resigning key UFA,s

Reactions: gab6511 and Xspyrit

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
Quickly followed by the NHL only letting him sell to Devcore, who submit the new bit to build Lebreton.

hopefuIIy I don't trust Gary either though wouIdn't be surprised if meInyk tried to get it in Houston theres huge popuIation there just waiting for a team..

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
hopefuIIy I don't trust Gary either though wouIdn't be surprised if meInyk tried to get it in Houston theres huge popuIation there just waiting for a team..

The NHL is not going to give up a potential $600M+ expansion fee by moving an existing franchise to a major American market. They also won't taint it with an owner that has as much baggage, and as little wealth, as Melnyk.

Let's call a spade a spade. If Melnyk tried to buy a team now, after what's happened in his business life over the last 15 years, he'd be rejected.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I predict they wont need one and EM is gone team will be sold

Just stop

As far is this news is concerned, all it means is that there is a Federal Election this year. The government does not want this to be in the news any longer.

I am expecting Melnyk to say that Kanata is fine and we continue to toil in mediocrity. Could be bad news for the arena and the team but the City matters more, getting this right matters more than getting the Senators what they need. Ideally both happen but hey, that's life.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Well Pierre McGuire said he had some big news for Thursday right? I can't imagine he would say anything if it was bad news, but you never know I guess.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

...that's not how it works.

Bettman fought tooth an nail to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix when their owner went bankrupt. The NHL stepped in and ran the team from 2009 to 2013 until they could find a new owner that would keep the team in Phoenix. Ottawa already has an owner who want to buy the team and keep it in Ottawa, and also build the new arena.

Besides... If Melnyk can't afford an arena in Ottawa (or even Mark Stone's bonus), what makes you think he can afford to build one in Houston? Let alone the relocation fees?

There's a million other reasons why it's a complete non-starter.

There's no imaginable scenario where it's even remotely possible that the team is relocated to another city.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands

Not sure what to make of this. Brucie making it seem pretty ominous.

Wow Bruce, what insightful commentary.

Yes. The fact that no extension will be given is significant.

Of course, if an extension was granted, that would have been significant as well.

You know what's a more significant inference? That Melnyk was potentially visiting said Minister on the Hill. You know.. the explanation for him jumping into a Suburban when being caught by CBC?

Last edited:

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
...that's not how it works.

Bettman fought tooth an nail to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix when their owner went bankrupt. The NHL stepped in and ran the team from 2009 to 2013 until they could find a new owner that would keep the team in Phoenix. Ottawa already has an owner who want to buy the team and keep it in Ottawa, and also build the new arena.

Besides... If Melnyk can't afford an arena in Ottawa (or even Mark Stone's bonus), what makes you think he can afford to build one in Houston? Let alone the relocation fees?

There's a million other reasons why it's a complete non-starter.

There's no imaginable scenario where it's even remotely possible that the team is relocated to another city.
I don't think there is much Bettman can do if Melnyk just picked up the team and left still owning the team. The NFL has had issues when teams threatened legal action if the league intervened.

If Melnyk wants to sell to an owner in another city, that's a different story.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Just stop

As far is this news is concerned, all it means is that there is a Federal Election this year. The government does not want this to be in the news any longer.

I am expecting Melnyk to say that Kanata is fine and we continue to toil in mediocrity. Could be bad news for the arena and the team but the City matters more, getting this right matters more than getting the Senators what they need. Ideally both happen but hey, that's life.
There is far far too much money at stake here,Lebreton will be built ....And we all know EM doenst have the funds....Its gonna happen

IpsoPostFacto

No opinions, just reactions
Dec 17, 2017
Wow Bruce, what insightful commentary.

Yes. The fact that no extension will be given is significant.

Of course, if an extension was granted, that would have been significant as well.

You what's a more significant inference? That Melnyk was potentially visiting said Minister on the Hill. You know.. the explanation for him jumping into a Suburban when being caught by CBC?
I know others have said it, but Bruce is just brutal. his between period "here's what the owner told me to say" commentaries are mind numbing. "say Bruce, is Stone staying?"... "Well, I would think that if he isn't the type of guy to want to stay around for the rebuild, that the team will be cornered into trading him for whatever they can get. I think the team wants guys who want to be here".

I realize it is just sports, but come on man, have a little bit of self respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad