GDT: No BS: Habs @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
LJ will get us a better draft pick.
He was his usual terrible tonight and was responsible for two goals allowed.
Awful player that we need to boot this summer.

At the very least, he should be bottom pairing next year.

I can't fault him on the first goal, Cory isn't doing a good enough job at fighting through the screen if that is what impeded him from making that save. That was like the most miniscule of screens.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Lovejoy man, lol at least he'll help us tank for a better pick. I will say, Palms is proving me wrong. He's been great recently.

About Schneider. Has he received help from his defense this year? No. Is his position he's playing in unfavorable this year? Yes. Would a ton of goalies struggle with our defense? Yes.

But at the same time, his save percentage has dipped drastically (and when you face as many low-volume shots as he has, that usually doesn't happen). Now obviously there has been a lot more high danger scoring chances being allowed as well, but Schneider has certainly regressed this year. Now hopefully it's just a one year thing and he bounces back next year, but I definitely would be concerned with him.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
There are 250+ games of Cory being a .920 or better goalie, so I would think that's more indicative of his level of play than the 40 some games this year where he's not (and he has had stretches of good play this year mixed in with the bad).

It's just rough because when a goalie has a bad year, you can't hide it. At least with a skater you can shelter their minutes or try other skaters in their spot. With Cory struggling, the only option is to play Kinkaid, who really hasn't been much better himself.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hall is on pace for the same amount of points (per 82 games) as he scored last year, on a far superior offensive team to whatever this pile of disaster is that we have in New Jersey. Even producing below his norms at even strength on the worst even strength/worst offensive team period, that he's ever had to play on in his pro career. The 09-10 Windsor Spitfires could probably go toe to toe with this Devils team and maybe even outscore them in a game.

What exactly did Hall do in this game, that is worth *****ing, complaining and making your 531st post in in 68 months to come to his new teams forum and bash him? Because he didn't score a point tonight?

big ape

Jan 28, 2011
Edmonton
Hall is on pace for the same amount of points (per 82 games) as he scored last year, on a far superior offensive team to whatever this pile of disaster is that we have in New Jersey. Even producing below his norms at even strength on the worst even strength/worst offensive team period, that he's ever had to play on in his pro career. The 09-10 Windsor Spitfires could probably go toe to toe with this Devils team and maybe even outscore them in a game.

What exactly did Hall do in this game, that is worth *****ing, complaining and making your 531st post in in 68 months to come to his new teams forum and bash him? Because he didn't score a point tonight?
Not only did he not score a point , but as was pointed out by a post earlier by a devil fan , his d game was terrible and was -3 so not sure how you can defend his game tonight.
Make it a habit to come on the Devil sight to see the opinions of fans of his new team. Read everyone tonight, and was intrigued to find some negative comments coming from Devil fans. Was more surprised of the thoughts on Schneider this year. He stole 2 points in games against us this year.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Make it a habit to come on the Devil sight to see the opinions of fans of his new team. Read everyone tonight, and was intrigued to find some negative comments coming from Devil fans. Was more surprised of the thoughts on Schneider this year. He stole 2 points in games against us this year.

Just because he stole 2 points in games against us this year, doesn't mean he's been very good. We were shutout by Mike Condon two weeks ago, he's not very good at all.

At the same time, he's not as bad as people have made him out to be this year either. He's just been bad by his standards, but he's been average by NHL goaltending standards.

And you didn't even watch tonight's game, you're just basing this game being ''Common place'' for Hall because of some posts you read? I don't even think many of the people in this thread had much to say about Hall that was overly-negative.

And if you makes you feel better, I think the core in Edmonton needed to be tinkered with. One of those guys had to go and I think it was important to have a ''Culture change'' type of trade, so someone needed to go and Hall was that guy. It really should have happened during the MacBrainDamage era before Chiarelli even came in, but he wanted to stay status quo and do nothing. And I think if Hall were on the Oilers this year, they'd most likely still be a playoff team. I have no reason to believe they wouldn't be. And if we had Larsson, we'd still be right where we are. And we might even be worse, since we wouldn't have a guy on pace for 65 points over 82 games this year. No one else on the roster is coming anywhere near that. We have one or two guys on pace for around 50 points, a couple other guys on pace for 40 something points and a bunch of guys on pace for under 20 points. We might have scored fewer goals than the Avalanche this year, if not for Hall. He's also helping Zajac have his best offensive season since the beginning of the decade.

But saying Edmonton won the trade, is just as shortsighted as the Montreal fans claiming they won the trade with Weber for Subban back in October, when Montreal started out on fire and Nashville struggled out of the gate. Now that Nashville has battled back and Montreal fans have come to realize that Weber is not the GOAT and is signed for only 10 more years, things have changed.

I think it's stupid to say the Oilers won the trade just because they're in the playoffs and the Devils are not.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He was a -3 tonight, so he had a bad defensive game?

What is this, 1993? Who gives a **** about plus/minus anymore?

First goal should have stopped by Schneider, PERIOD! If he was screened on that, he's not doing a good enough job at battling through screens and he really shouldn't have needed to battle through a screen there, as it was just one guy.

Second goal was a weak rebound, not sure what you wanted Hall to do there.

Third goal was because this team can't kill 6 on 5's when the other team pulls their goalie. Even when we don't get scored on during them, we make it awfully exciting and can never kill those off with ease. Teams pull their goalies earlier against us, because of how awful we are at killing them off and scoring on the empty nets. With how many times the net is empty and how infrequently we score when it is, we could probably move up from 29th to 28th in the league in scoring if we scored more of them. Hall did negate an icing a little before that goal was scored, if I recall correctly.

But you would know all about weak goaltending, considering that's all Edmonton had for a better part of a decade before Talbot got there. Aside from a couple random good years from Khabibulin's cremated remains and Dubnyk having a couple good seasons there.

big ape

Jan 28, 2011
Edmonton
Just because he stole 2 points in games against us this year, doesn't mean he's been very good. We were shutout by Mike Condon two weeks ago, he's not very good at all.

At the same time, he's not as bad as people have made him out to be this year either. He's just been bad by his standards, but he's been average by NHL goaltending standards.

And you didn't even watch tonight's game, you're just basing this game being ''Common place'' for Hall because of some posts you read? I don't even think many of the people in this thread had much to say about Hall that was overly-negative.

And if you makes you feel better, I think the core in Edmonton needed to be tinkered with. One of those guys had to go and I think it was important to have a ''Culture change'' type of trade, so someone needed to go and Hall was that guy. It really should have happened during the MacBrainDamage era before Chiarelli even came in, but he wanted to stay status quo and do nothing. And I think if Hall were on the Oilers this year, they'd most likely still be a playoff team. I have no reason to believe they wouldn't be. And if we had Larsson, we'd still be right where we are. And we might even be worse, since we wouldn't have a guy on pace for 65 points over 82 games this year. No one else on the roster is coming anywhere near that. We have one or two guys on pace for around 50 points, a couple other guys on pace for 40 something points and a bunch of guys on pace for under 20 points. We might have scored fewer goals than the Avalanche this year, if not for Hall. He's also helping Zajac have his best offensive season since the beginning of the decade.

But saying Edmonton won the trade, is just as shortsighted as the Montreal fans claiming they won the trade with Weber for Subban back in October, when Montreal started out on fire and Nashville struggled out of the gate. Now that Nashville has battled back and Montreal fans have come to realize that Weber is not the GOAT and is signed for only 10 more years, things have changed.

I think it's stupid to say the Oilers won the trade just because they're in the playoffs and the Devils are not.
Never said we won the trade because of playoff picture. Season hasn't ended yet. We are in now. But things can change( tight race) with out Lasson were not even in it at this point.

big ape

Jan 28, 2011
Edmonton

First goal should have stopped by Schneider, PERIOD! If he was screened on that, he's not doing a good enough job at battling through screens and he really shouldn't have needed to battle through a screen there, as it was just one guy.

Third goal was because this team can't kill 6 on 5's when the other team pulls their goalie. Even when we don't get scored on during them, we make it awfully exciting and can never kill those off with ease. Teams pull their goalies earlier against us, because of how awful we are at killing them off and scoring on the empty nets. With how many times the net is empty and how infrequently we score when it is, we could probably move up from 29th to 28th in the league in scoring if we scored more of them. Hall did negate an icing a little before that goal was scored, if I recall correctly.

But you would know all about weak goaltending, considering that's all Edmonton had for a better part of a decade before Talbot got there. Aside from a couple random good years from Khabibulin's cremated remains and Dubnyk having a couple good seasons there.

Those 2 were diasters here. No d in front of them though

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
LOVE-JOY

/love-joi/

noun

Occurs when a player is on the ice for all of the opponents' goals and none of his team's goals in a given game.

"It's tough to earn a Lovejoy in a game that ends 4-3, but Ben Lovejoy made it look easy!"
This is a very underrated post. Not sure how I missed this one the first time. I must miss some really good ones in these sometimes, but this post is probably legendary!:handclap:
Those 2 were diasters here. No d in front of them though
Khabibulin was declining by the time the 04-05 lockout ended. Maybe even by 02-03 or 03-04. He was the most overrated goaltender in the league those years, despite winning the cup in 04 and having a very good playoffs. He only had one really terrible season in Edmonton though, in 10-11. He was meh in the other seasons. Dubnyk only had one really bad season with the Oilers, outside of 19 games as a 23 year old rookie in 09-10. He was above average in his other seasons there.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Jesus Christ, as if things aren't bad enough now we've got an Oilers fan trying to start **** in here.

Drink the kool aid, best stuff since Marshall Applewhite's concoction.

Hall is a poor defensive player, he was a -3 tonight. Looked awful on every goal.

Needed to back check a little better.

If there's anything I'm critical on Hall about for tonight, I wish he would have tried for a wraparound on the empty net after he negated the icing. Maybe if I saw it again, I might notice he was unable to do that. I don't remember right now.

Seemed like he could tried a wraparound at the empty net.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Cory is just having a bad year. Can't blame the defense for every loss. It was all on him last night. You can see he lost all confidence in his game, especially in close ones. It wasn't if he'll hold on last night, just a matter of when he will cough up the game. Once the second goal was scored you knew it was over. Let's just hope we improve on defense and he's on his game next year as well, because he's pretty terrible right now.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014

Going back to yesterday morning's discussion, that is the goal that lost the game. There are just certain moments when a key save is all that is needed. It was a nice shot, but if we just keep that 2-0 lead for four or five minutes and things stay settled we probably win the game.

It just seems undeniable to me that Cory has concentration issues at certain times when playing with leads.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Drink the kool aid, best stuff since Marshall Applewhite's concoction.

Hall is a poor defensive player, he was a -3 tonight. Looked awful on every goal.

Needed to back check a little better.

If there's anything I'm critical on Hall about for tonight, I wish he would have tried for a wraparound on the empty net after he negated the icing. Maybe if I saw it again, I might notice he was unable to do that. I don't remember right now.

Seemed like he could tried a wraparound at the empty net.

I don't necessarily think it was possible iirc

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Cory is just having a bad year. Can't blame the defense for every loss. It was all on him last night. You can see he lost all confidence in his game, especially in close ones. It wasn't if he'll hold on last night, just a matter of when he will cough up the game. Once the second goal was scored you knew it was over. Let's just hope we improve on defense and he's on his game next year as well, because he's pretty terrible right now.

Yeah, there has been a cold draft inside The Rock the last two games.
Cory forgot to close the door.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I know last night wasnt ideal. But i thought the pairing of Merrill - Santini had a very good game. Also i think Wood needs to work on his conditioning. He seems to get gassed really easily. Once he is gassed he is useless on the ice just just stands around pretty much. Guys like Hall even when they are gassed still move around and work.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I know last night wasnt ideal. But i thought the pairing of Merrill - Santini had a very good game. Also i think Wood needs to work on his conditioning. He seems to get gassed really easily. Once he is gassed he is useless on the ice just just stands around pretty much. Guys like Hall even when they are gassed still move around and work.

I don't think it's so much conditioning because he seemed to top the prospects every single year in that category from what I remember.

It's just he goes all out way too much and tires himself out quickly. I think he does that to compensate for the fact that his technical skills aren't anywhere near NHL level. He needs to skate hard and give himself time and space with the puck.

I would like to see Merrill - Santini start to get a split of some of Greene - Lovejoy's heavier minutes down the stretch. Send them out every third shift against top lines or in defensive situations and see how they handle it.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010

Merrill and Santini need to get more minutes and Greene and Lovejoy need to have theirs cut at bit as well.

Wood's conditioning is fine to me. He gets gassed like every player does, when they are on the ice too long, it's more noticeable with him because of his speed imo.

Camille the Eel

Hynes was trying to get the Lovejoy-Greene pairing out there against the Paciorrety line. And our first line against them too. Since it could hardly have turned out worse, I wonder what might have happened if he'd matched up Merrill-Santini with them and put some other forwards on Max.

Santini was out there for the first Paciorrety goal all the same. The rebound Cory kicked onto Pacioretty's stick.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
Missed the third period but just got around to highlights. What an embarrassment from schneider. Every goal bad besides OT.

Dylan9z9

May 16, 2012
Rockaway, NJ
I think Hynes is a good teaching coach. Good with kids. Good with the locker room. His in game decisions and tactical decisions during play is an area he needs to improve. Maybe he too can learn from experience.

I also think Hynes is good with the kids ....that's why he should be coaching a midget team somewhere like Ronkonkoma, NY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad