GDT: No BS: Habs @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Liked Coleman's game. Liked Merrill, Santini, and Blender. Palms is back to his top 6 status.

Really...who's getting worked up about another loss at this point? This season was lost before the all-star break.

Shatty to WASH...whoa.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Trading him based on 40+ games of substandard play after 250+ games of him being one of the best at stopping pucks in the league would be knee-jerk and stupid anyway.

Yep, he should've been traded 2 years ago. Oh well.

I just find the amount of excuses made for him every time he blows a game really amazing. If he can't be good unless there are ideal circumstances, he isn't very special.

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
That's exactly it

Cory has allowed that OT winner before, even in his prior 3 years. So have all the elite goalies.

The problem is that he's allowing them at a MUCH higher frequency than the previous years.

It's not that he never allowed these kinds of goals in previous years, it just didn't happen at this rate.

For instance, last year, Cory had only 2 games (maybe 3, I'd have to double check) where he allowed more than one stoppable goal in a game.

This year, I have him him down for 9 different games where he allowed more than one stoppable goal and there's been a few of those where he's allowed up to 3 stoppable goals in the same game. Last year, there were no games where he allowed more than 2 and only 2 games where he allowed more than one bad goal in the same game.

This

Camille the Eel

Can't blame Cory much on the OT winner. It's the second goal that was the dog.

But they were pushing us around and had us on our heels in the OT. We did not handle it well except for the one Moore rush. And there Henrique was way to far out when the rebound developed.

Montreal is a bigger, deeper team than us. But we played them tough.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Lol at blaming Hynes for this garbage ass roster we have

Good god

I didn't even blame him for tonight, last game was mostly on him, but not this one.

He exacerbates the problems with this roster, by using Lovejoy as his #2 defensemen, not calling a time out (didn't bite him this time) when his guys are gassed and ice the puck with 5 minutes left and up by one goal in the 3rd period, among other things. He doesn't really look like he has any kind of a decent system and he doesn't seem to care about possession or recognize who his best possession players are.

He's not a very good coach and shouldn't be here after next season, if this team shows zero improvement from year one of his tenure here. And Shero should start feeling some heat after that too, but we're getting way ahead of ourselves here. Still have another year + 6 weeks of hockey left before dissecting that one.

But I don't blame him for tonight, other than his Lovejoy fetish, which WILL bite him sooner or later.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

I just find the amount of excuses made for him every time he blows a game really amazing. If he can't be good unless there are ideal circumstances, he isn't very special.

Yes, because there's not nearly enough criticism of Cory going on around here. Glad certain people are here to "keep it real" for us poor dreamers.

Camille the Eel

We just can't seem to play on a lead. The moment we get up on a club you can pretty much see us lose our focus. The next shift after you go up 2 - that's the one that turns the game. That's when you've got to get even more aggressive. Not us though.

I suppose you can blame Hynes for that. It's his job to focus the club and get them to learn to dial it up even stronger when you get the other club down.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Can't blame Cory much on the OT winner. It's the second goal that was the dog.

But they were pushing us around and had us on our heels in the OT. We did not handle it well except for the one Moore rush. And there Henrique was way to far out when the rebound developed.

Montreal is a bigger, deeper team than us. But we played them tough.

The OT winner wasn't a HORRIBLE goal or anything, but it was stoppable. The first was the worst one, he just got straight up beat from quite a distance. Positioning was lousy on that one. Lovejoy is ****ing horrendous and all, but if you're gonna chalk up his screen to that goal, then you're not doing a good enough job of trying to fight through the screen there. That's not a screen where a guy is up in your face or there's loads and loads of traffic or a guy comes right in your face as the puck is sailing through. As was the case on the game tying goal on Saturday night.

Goal 2 was a weak rebound, one of the only bad rebounds he allowed all night and it killed us. Goal 3 he shouldn't be faulted for, even though he got cooked here when it happened. I cooked him a little for it too, as i thought it trickled through him. At first, it looked like Lovejoy was screening him (big surprise) and it went through. But on the replay, Lovejoy was off to his side and not impeding his vision.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

The problem here is that people act like he has been bad for years now or that he's been blowing games like this for years and years or as if he actually has a history of doing so prior to this season.

I think he's allowed to have a poor season like this, which isn't even that poor. It's still average, which by the standards he set in the past, is far below average. But people act like he doesn't have a track record of being pretty good before this year. Aside from his October and maybe parts of November of 2014, he hasn't really had a stretch like this in his career.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Cory seems to be really bad playing with the lead this season. Down by a goal or two he will make save after save, even multiple great saves, to keep them in the game. However, give him a lead and you can almost count on at least one questionable goal.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Lets hear Hynes mumble through a bunch of BS......The Star Ledger tomorrow better say Devils Coach John Hynes Fired!!

I wouldn't complain or anything

But I don't think he should be fired for this game. Although his failure to take a timeout for the second game in a row at the same damn time as last game, almost cost us again.

Keep him until April of 2018 (unless we have a hideous stretch like November and December of this past year at some point next year) and reassess.

He certainly has done SQUAT to deserve an extension beyond next season though. And if Shero doesn't do something to get us moved up from the basement in goals scored by next year, he deserves some heat too.

Cory not looking like Cory this year is the only reason I give Hynes a D+ grade on the season and not a D- or F.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
We just can't seem to play on a lead. The moment we get up on a club you can pretty much see us lose our focus. The next shift after you go up 2 - that's the one that turns the game. That's when you've got to get even more aggressive. Not us though.

I suppose you can blame Hynes for that. It's his job to focus the club and get them to learn to dial it up even stronger when you get the other club down.

He went back to our first line after each goal we scored tonight. At least, he understands that much :)

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
If Hynes isn't going to be fired this year, then the assistants need to go. I don't know of any one player that has significantly improved under their tutelage.

Shero has to back the truck up for Shattenkirk. I would pay $9 even $9.5M for him. This team needs a minutes eater and a guy who can relieve some of the pressure of playing over their ability. There is no #1D in the system and if they can't get a #1C or #1RW, this HAS to be the option.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Don't hold your breath on Hynes being fired. It ain't happening.

At this point, why bother? It's not like a coaching change is going to spark some miraculous 20 game run. Just ride it out and if they decide to go a different direction, do it in the summer. I do think he's going to get another shot at it next year though. I think as frustrating as this season has been, Shero knows building a team is a process. If we improve the roster and stink again next year, then I think heads might start to roll.

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
If Hynes isn't going to be fired this year, then the assistants need to go. I don't know of any one player that has significantly improved under their tutelage.

Something needs to give in the management. Coaches or higher

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Don't hold your breath on Hynes being fired. It ain't happening.

No matter how much I complain about him, I'm willing to give him until April of 2018, but he deserves NO extension at any time before. If we don't improve in points from his first year here by next year, he probably shouldn't be brought back.

I would still can him if Sutter becomes available though. You don't pass on Sutter to keep Hynes, just because the roster is weak.

When you look at the Kings this year, they're 24th in goal scoring and their team save percentage might actually be lower than ours as of right now, as Zatkoff was horrendous in the 14and Budaj wasn't really that much better than average. He was only heralded as such because he had 8 shutouts and because he's Peter Budaj and not Cory Schneider. A league washout that hit a hot streak, after looking like he was done for in this league almost 3 years ago.

Their team save percentage is .913, just like ours is. And they're 24th in the league in scoring and still have quite a bit more points than us. Why is that? Because they don't allow 84849584958 shots against per game, like we do.

Camille the Eel

He went back to our first line after each goal we scored tonight. At least, he understands that much :)

But whoever it is, first or fourth line, the shift right after you or the other team scores is so important. That's where Montreal won this game, or it was key in their winning it. They won those shifts in the third period.

Frankly I'd had loved to see Wood, Coleman, Blandisi out there for their energy and a physical game. They were our best line tonight.

Reason why Lovejoy was out there for multiple goals was I think Hynes was matching him up on the Pacioretty line. We had better think of someone else. Lovejoy can't keep up with those guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad