Value of: NMC contract to Leafs pre expansion draft

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
leafs apparently had a bigger deal with tampa to take filppula off their hands. the bolts ended up giving the flyers a 4th and 7th and taking back an overpaid mark streit to get his contract off the books.

so this shows the leafs are willing to take on some salary and possibly even a NMC to acquire additional assets. the player coming back would need to still be able to play though, not a Laich/Fayne/Michalek(either) buried in the AHL.

possible trade:

Columbus sends Scott Hartnell, Paul Bittner, 2nd rd pick in 2018 to the Leafs for Nikita Soshnikov (exp. draft exempt)

this is very similar to the winnik for laich,carrick and 2nd deal where the leafs ate a big contract, and gave up a serviceable bottom 6er to get a good prospect (now in the leafs top 6) and a 2nd (grundstrom).
Leafs get a guy a year off 49pts and 2 years removed from 60. they get a prospect that was picked early in the 2nd rd a couple years back and another pick as well. the leafs have never been afraid to flex their financial muscle and hartnells deal will be done when matthews and marner hit paydirt

Columbus can now protect Anderson, and jump from 2.9 to approx 7 mil cap space (enough to re-up wennberg,anderson,korpisalo etc)

what would your team offer to get rid of an unwanted player?

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Would Toronto have interest in Eberle's contract and Edmonton 1st? Eberle is not a cap dump but is slightly overpaid.

If so what would Toronto offer in return?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Would Toronto have interest in Eberle's contract and Edmonton 1st? Eberle is not a cap dump but is slightly overpaid.

I think the Leafs probably are looking for something other than a scoring RW.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Doing this means we lose Carrick.. Our only legit RD after Zaitsev in the org for free...

The assets better be worth it.. A 2nd or 3rd means nothing to losing Carrick + taking back a cap dump + whatever we give up.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

Can't see the leafs being interested in Eberle. Hartnell makes sense, as he's more experienced/physical. He's a guy you want in a lineup full of younger players, and the cost to acquire would be minimal.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Doing this means we lose Carrick.. Our only legit RD after Zaitsev in the org for free...

The assets better be worth it.. A 2nd or 3rd means nothing to losing Carrick + taking back a cap dump + whatever we give up.

How? Were the Leafs originally going to go the 4+4 route? Hartnell is a winger, how does this result in Carrick being claimed? Reilly, Gardiner, and Carrick are more than likely the three defensemen the leafs protect.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

You can have back Marincin maybe.

Seriously though, the interest won't be high for very simple reasons.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I like the proposal, and I think Hartnell would be a good fit. Could also make moving JVR more realistic. Although if Soshnikov is going in the deal I would want a better prospect than Bittner coming back. Would rather have a boom/bust prospect like Abramov.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto

not if you trade him first

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Feel bad for the capdump that goes to Toronto. It's basically a 1 way ticket to retirement.

There's a couple of players that come to mind where they're on their last legs and making a hefty salary - unfortunately, I don't see the owning team give up much and would much rather just ride out the bad contract until the player decides to retire.

Kronwall and Chara comes to mind.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Feel bad for the capdump that goes to Toronto. It's basically a 1 way ticket to retirement.

There's a couple of players that come to mind where they're on their last legs and making a hefty salary - unfortunately, I don't see the owning team give up much and would much rather just ride out the bad contract until the player decides to retire.

Deposit the old star players on Vegas with a 3rd rounder.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I love how the premise is that a player not willing to move from his current team is the problem, yet he somehow wants to move to the OP's team.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
possible trade:

Columbus sends Scott Hartnell, Paul Bittner, 2nd rd pick in 2018 to the Leafs for Nikita Soshnikov (exp. draft exempt)

this is very similar to the winnik for laich,carrick and 2nd deal where the leafs ate a big contract, and gave up a serviceable bottom 6er to get a good prospect (now in the leafs top 6) and a 2nd (grundstrom).
Leafs get a guy a year off 49pts and 2 years removed from 60. they get a prospect that was picked early in the 2nd rd a couple years back and another pick as well. the leafs have never been afraid to flex their financial muscle and hartnells deal will be done when matthews and marner hit paydirt

Columbus can now protect Anderson, and jump from 2.9 to approx 7 mil cap space (enough to re-up wennberg,anderson,korpisalo etc)

Clever idea, but there's a few issues, unfortunately:
  1. Hartnell, technically, isn't an "unwanted" player; we just prioritize Anderson over him for age reasons. We'd like to keep him if we can.
  2. We actually have the equivalent of $8m+ in "cap space", because that $2.9m figure includes Clarkson's Long Term Injured Retirement. Cap space is therefore not as high a priority as suggested (although it would indeed be nice :) ).
  3. Hartnell has made it clear on multiple occasions he wants to be competing for a Cup, and he thinks this is where that's going to happen. While Toronto and Columbus are IMO in similar states w/r/t their youth and progress towards that goal, it's not at all certain if Hartnell feels the same way.
It'd work if Hartnell's status was what you suggest it is, but I think he's valued more than that by this organization - and therefore we probably wouldn't go for it. The core concept itself probably works... just not in our specific case.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Well to be fair, a lot of the guys we brought in would have been bought out and likely not be in the NHL again anyways. The Leafs gave all of their vets a fair shot, but they just were not good enough to beat the rookies. The Leafs then tried to see if anyone wanted them, but nobody did (likely even with max retention). At that point, you just have to be honest with yourself and know your career was done and just be happy there is a team willing to pay them the full remainder of their contract. At the end of the day it is a competitive business and nobody is safe. Good players have to go to Europe every year because there just are not enough spots in the NHL.

Besides, all of the guys we have on Robidas island have career ending injuries. It's not like we are putting people who are healthy there; we send those guys to the AHL like we did with Greening. Once again, they should be happy they get their millions from us.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
You can have back Marincin maybe.

Seriously though, the interest won't be high for very simple reasons.

I do not think the Leafs are going to toss around Marincin. He is the guy the Leafs likely want to be taken in expansion so that we keep the young forwards we have to expose. As long as he's around, the chances of them getting taken decrease by a lot. If anything, we'll toss Marchenko in, but I think we want him as bottom pairing competition and depth.

Prospects are what we would probably use as "throw-ins", but we do not have many that classify as "throw-ins" either. Regardless, a Grabner-type deal is what I'd see the Leafs using before sending away guys they have use for like Marincin.

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
Nope. I dont want to waste any capspace. We need all that we can get this summer. It's not time to be charitable and stockpile anything.

It's time to win. Winners get rid of their bad salaries, not accept them.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Clever idea, but there's a few issues, unfortunately:
  1. Hartnell, technically, isn't an "unwanted" player; we just prioritize Anderson over him for age reasons. We'd like to keep him if we can.
  2. We actually have the equivalent of $8m+ in "cap space", because that $2.9m figure includes Clarkson's Long Term Injured Retirement. Cap space is therefore not as high a priority as suggested (although it would indeed be nice :) ).
  3. Hartnell has made it clear on multiple occasions he wants to be competing for a Cup, and he thinks this is where that's going to happen. While Toronto and Columbus are IMO in similar states w/r/t their youth and progress towards that goal, it's not at all certain if Hartnell feels the same way.
It'd work if Hartnell's status was what you suggest it is, but I think he's valued more than that by this organization - and therefore we probably wouldn't go for it. The core concept itself probably works... just not in our specific case.

I would think he would be open to a trade to Toronto because I would think he would see Toronto as slightly ahead, only slightly but slightly ahead in terms of being contenders.

Reason being that while both teams have great goalies and Columbus does have a better D, any difference there is on D Toronto makes up for on offense.

this isn't 2015-2016 anymore PAP isn't the top goal scorer woth 20 anymore

now we have Matthews, Marner, Nylander, JVR, Brown Komarov etc

I think most guys, particularly forwards would like to play with that group

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Vets have seen what Leafs has done to veterans, I doubt anyone waive to get dumped in AHL...

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I would think he would be open to a trade to Toronto because I would think he would see Toronto as slightly ahead, only slightly but slightly ahead in terms of being contenders.

Reason being that while both teams have great goalies and Columbus does have a better D, any difference there is on D Toronto makes up for on offense.

this isn't 2015-2016 anymore PAP isn't the top goal scorer woth 20 anymore

now we have Matthews, Marner, Nylander, JVR, Brown Komarov etc

I think most guys, particularly forwards would like to play with that group
Funny, I'd put it the other way around, because Hartnell provides offense and so he might prefer the team that has its blueline settled but needs more scoring - something he can directly help with. ;)

That bit's not really all that important, anyways. Organizational will is the major obstacle, and I don't think that's there.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Vets have seen what Leafs has done to veterans, I doubt anyone waive to get dumped in AHL...

Lets look at that

Lupul Physically can't play

Robidas Can't play

Horton Can't play

Laich was beaten for a job so clearly he wasn't good enough

Michleak same thing we had younger guys that wee better and in this case MUCH MUCH better

so tell me what have they done to vets?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad