Value of: NMC contract to Leafs pre expansion draft

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Vets have seen what Leafs has done to veterans, I doubt anyone waive to get dumped in AHL...

Any veterans who aren't on the team are either too beaten/injured to play anymore, or aren't NHL caliber players and lost their spots to youth. Hell, I think they've treated their vets quite well.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I would think he would be open to a trade to Toronto because I would think he would see Toronto as slightly ahead, only slightly but slightly ahead in terms of being contenders.

Reason being that while both teams have great goalies and Columbus does have a better D, any difference there is on D Toronto makes up for on offense.

this isn't 2015-2016 anymore PAP isn't the top goal scorer woth 20 anymore

now we have Matthews, Marner, Nylander, JVR, Brown Komarov etc

I think most guys, particularly forwards would like to play with that group

You do realize the blue jackets put up 108 points last season with a younger lineup than the leafs right....???

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
Any veterans who aren't on the team are either too beaten/injured to play anymore, or aren't NHL caliber players and lost their spots to youth. Hell, I think they've treated their vets quite well.

All three vets on the marlies are NHL capable somewhere.

Robidas and Lupul though, theyve received the royal treatment.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Doing this means we lose Carrick.. Our only legit RD after Zaitsev in the org for free...

The assets better be worth it.. A 2nd or 3rd means nothing to losing Carrick + taking back a cap dump + whatever we give up.

could go 4-4 and lose a choice of bozak ( 1 year left) or Komarov (3rd line winger)
and the deal was a 2nd, + 2nd rd prospect from 2015

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
You do realize the blue jackets put up 108 points last season with a younger lineup than the leafs right....???

thats because the leafs had vets like hunwick,polak,boyle,martin etc filling bottom 6/bottom pairing D roles. not to mention our sparsely used backup was 12 years older than the jackets (which bumps the team average more than half a year)

average age of the leafs top 5 scorers was 22.4
jackets top 5 were 26.0

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Vets have seen what Leafs has done to veterans, I doubt anyone waive to get dumped in AHL...

those guys got beaten out for jobs by marner and brown.
Hartnell could still play and would likely fill a line on the 3rd line.

Toronto has never had a problem attracting vets to come, especially ontario boys. that won't change because laich,michalek and greening weren't in the top 13 forwards we had. that offense ended up pretty good no?

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
Oilers will take Fleury plus the pens 1st for our 7th . Yes it helps the Pens out dramatically and the pick is just a 50/50 chance he every plays a single game in a weak draft, but if Vegas takes Talbot we still have Fleury so I am ok with it.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Got to think Toronto's going to be kicking the tires on acquiring a defenseman this summer. Any guys out there with NMC's who are defenseman and would want to come to Toronto?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Funny, I'd put it the other way around, because Hartnell provides offense and so he might prefer the team that has its blueline settled but needs more scoring - something he can directly help with. ;)

That bit's not really all that important, anyways. Organizational will is the major obstacle, and I don't think that's there.

Despite what fans think the Leafs DO need a top 6 or top 9 forward because currently Hyman os in the top 6 and he's not a top 6 guy

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
thats because the leafs had vets like hunwick,polak,boyle,martin etc filling bottom 6/bottom pairing D roles. not to mention our sparsely used backup was 12 years older than the jackets (which bumps the team average more than half a year)

average age of the leafs top 5 scorers was 22.4
jackets top 5 were 26.0

Ya sure, unless you count columbus' incredibly great, young defence....

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Leadership for Marlies, and Depth.

I guess I give Leaf management too much credit then because that's not a very good reason to keep them down there.

Which Teams do you believe would be happy to have them at their salary if the Leafs weren't so concern with their minor league leadershp?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility

What a terrible message to send to the league that the Leafs are no longer a retirement home where you collect your check and coast. If you want a spot on the team, you need to beat others for it, regardless of experience.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Oilers will take Fleury plus the pens 1st for our 7th . Yes it helps the Pens out dramatically and the pick is just a 50/50 chance he every plays a single game in a weak draft, but if Vegas takes Talbot we still have Fleury so I am ok with it.

Fleury and our first for a seventh rounder?

You are too kind.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Leadership for Marlies, and Depth.

Nah, they all went on waivers, they could've been had for free - Leafs management was hoping they would've been picked up. They actually barely played for the Marlies because they were passed over by AHL'ers in some cases.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Nah, they all went on waivers, they could've been had for free - Leafs management was hoping they would've been picked up. They actually barely played for the Marlies because they were passed over by AHL'ers in some cases.

There are also rules regarding the number of "veterans" who can play in a game in the AHL.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Despite what fans think the Leafs DO need a top 6 or top 9 forward because currently Hyman os in the top 6 and he's not a top 6 guy

Fair enough, but we were speaking in terms of general impressions about the teams in question. If we get into specifics, we could go all day. At the end of the day, tho, I think Toronto has a clear edge in forwards and general offensive production, Columbus has a clear edge on the blueline and in net, and someday we'll meet in the ECF or something. 'Till then I'm happy to leave it be. :)

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Fair enough, but we were speaking in terms of general impressions about the teams in question. If we get into specifics, we could go all day. At the end of the day, tho, I think Toronto has a clear edge in forwards and general offensive production, Columbus has a clear edge on the blueline and in net, and someday we'll meet in the ECF or something. 'Till then I'm happy to leave it be. :)

He leafs scored 3 more goals last season than Columbus = clear edge?

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
those guys got beaten out for jobs by marner and brown.
Hartnell could still play and would likely fill a line on the 3rd line.

Toronto has never had a problem attracting vets to come, especially ontario boys. that won't change because laich,michalek and greening weren't in the top 13 forwards we had. that offense ended up pretty good no?

Ok I'll bite...who does Hartnell replace on the 3rd line? Marner or JVR?

The fact of the matter is we have 7 or 8 wingers better than Hartnell already in Toronto. He would be Robidas Island bound pretty quick.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
What a terrible message to send to the league that the Leafs are no longer a retirement home where you collect your check and coast. If you want a spot on the team, you need to beat others for it, regardless of experience.

If you sit with an NMC or a massive NTC, you not intressted in keeping it so you don´t need to beat out anyone?..... I guess you don´t see that way?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Ok I'll bite...who does Hartnell replace on the 3rd line? Marner or JVR?

The fact of the matter is we have 7 or 8 wingers better than Hartnell already in Toronto. He would be Robidas Island bound pretty quick.

JVR if/when he leaves or Hyman moves down the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad