Switzerland: NLA 2021-2022

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
I was quite surprised as well, but from what I've heard his wife wasn't quite happy with life in Columbus and has been back in Switzerland for a while now which probably wasn't part of his plans. And after whitnessing the birth of his daughter I can imagine him making the decision to just stay here. And honestly, I can't blame him.

Again I don't blame him to prioritize his family over his career. But he already knew he was going to be a father when he went to America. Maybe he should have thought of that and maybe his wife should have learned the language a little better since Hoffman apparently worked toward this goal for years. Gregory could definitely have been smarter about the whole thing.

#una situatziona merda, #la ragazza :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Kuracmugger

BlizzardSloth

Mar 27, 2019
Zurich, Switzerland
Again I don't blame him to prioritize his family over his career. But he already knew he was going to be a father when he went to America. Maybe he should have thought of that and maybe his wife should have learned the language a little better since Hoffman apparently worked toward this goal for years. Gregory could definitely have been smarter about the whole thing.

#una situatziona mera, #la ragazza :D
That was the first thing that came to my head as well! Still funny.

But yes, his/their decision making could've been much better and I'd loved to see him at least a full season, but it is as it is. I'm more worried about Zug getting back into their Juggernaut mode from last year now.

Reactions: Speyer

Kuracmugger

Oct 15, 2019

#una situatziona merda, #la ragazza :D
He is really a „simp“. Not to forget he went to lugano because of his ex girlfriend too back in the day.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Swedish defender Henrik Tömmernäs has been voted MVP of the league. Guy is second in total points even thought he is a d-man and also takes cares of defensive duties. 58 points in 51 games. Crazy. NHL next?

Last edited:

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Nothing anyone who follows Swiss hockey wouldn't already now, but that's pretty funny.

But I'm a bit surprised about the bit where he says that in Switzerland if you have a few bad games you're out of the team because that's definitely something that is way more prevalent in the NHL. Tons of mediocre players keep getting ice time because teams simply don't have a minor league roster.

Reactions: Shawn Heins 44

BlizzardSloth

Mar 27, 2019
Zurich, Switzerland
So, Davos managed to turn around Rapperswil's 3-0 lead and advance to the semis.

Semis gonna start on Friday with:

Fribourg-Gottéron - Zürich
EV Zug - HC Davos

Any predictions?

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
So, Davos managed to turn around Rapperswil's 3-0 lead and advance to the semis.

Semis gonna start on Friday with:

Fribourg-Gottéron - Zürich
EV Zug - HC Davos

Any predictions?
Really looking forward to the semis.

I see the home team as the favorites, for us (Fribourg) it will be very important to start good in game 1. If we get rolling it is going to be very difficult for ZSC, but I also would not be surprised if their win in game 7 gives them another gear. Again game 1 is key for me here.
4:2 Fribourg

In the other series I don't really see how Davos will get past Zug in 7 games. Steal a game or two for sure but not a series. If Genoni is playing on the level he usually does they will advance.
4:1 Zug

What do you think?

BlizzardSloth

Mar 27, 2019
Zurich, Switzerland
Really looking forward to the semis.

I see the home team as the favorites, for us (Fribourg) it will be very important to start good in game 1. If we get rolling it is going to be very difficult for ZSC, but I also would not be surprised if their win in game 7 gives them another gear. Again game 1 is key for me here.
4:2 Fribourg

In the other series I don't really see how Davos will get past Zug in 7 games. Steal a game or two for sure but not a series. If Genoni is playing on the level he usually does they will advance.
4:1 Zug

What do you think?
Same thoughts on both series mostly. Zurich's performance in the quarters wasn't convincing, especially on the offensive side. But I do hope they get the offense going now. But Fribourg will be tough.

Fribourg 3:4 ZSC
If ZSC finds back to their game. But it would not surprise me to get swept by Gottéron if they don't.

Don't even see a glimpse of hope for Davos to make it past Zug. As you said, Zug is maybe gonna lose a game, but I'd be very surprised if they'd loose the series. I can see them sweeping Davos if Aeschlimann isn't standing on his head every night.

Zug 4:0 Davos

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I can't see Zug losing this either, they are the most impressive team and have no apparent weakness.

Fribourg vs ZSC is tricky to predict. Fribourg played better than I expected against Lausanne after their losing streak at the end of the regular season, but ZSC has better depth and this is a key aspect the deeper into the playoffs you go, as fatigue and injuries start to pile up. The longer the series last, the more I like their chance.

Reactions: BlizzardSloth

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
I can't see Zug losing this either, they are the most impressive team and have no apparent weakness.

Fribourg vs ZSC is tricky to predict. Fribourg played better than I expected against Lausanne after their losing streak at the end of the regular season, but ZSC has better depth and this is a key aspect the deeper into the playoffs you go, as fatigue and injuries start to pile up. The longer the series last, the more I like their chance.
I generally agree, but I really liked Fribourg's third and fourth line against Lausanne. They played all 4 lines also into the 3OT game which is key for me here. Keep them all rolling and then they can match up with ZSC. Of course that is also easier to say and do when the series unfolds like the Lausanne one and you basically play from in front all of the time.

That's why tonight will be so important to come out strong. I would also love a Zug vs Fribourg finals, I have been to two games they played against each other this season and both games were so much fun to watch.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Nothing anyone who follows Swiss hockey wouldn't already now, but that's pretty funny.

But I'm a bit surprised about the bit where he says that in Switzerland if you have a few bad games you're out of the team because that's definitely something that is way more prevalent in the NHL. Tons of mediocre players keep getting ice time because teams simply don't have a minor league roster.
I would say he was referring to imports with the bad games... i could see how teams would be tempted to shop around for imports as they would make a big difference between winning and losing. I can't comment on McSorley's system as this is really the first i have ever of it.. sounded like a dream to play in.

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
Who do you guys think will advance to NLA, Kloten or Olten? I hope its Kloten. Big classic club.
Tbh I have not watched a lot of NLB games this year, but I did watch the first game yesterday and I would be very surprised if Kloten did not win the series. They are just overall better and with Wolf in goal are set really nicely there.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Tbh I have not watched a lot of NLB games this year, but I did watch the first game yesterday and I would be very surprised if Kloten did not win the series. They are just overall better and with Wolf in goal are set really nicely there.
I actually think the league switched name to "SL".

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
With one more team added to NLA and more space for foreigners and KHL in ruins, i think its safe to say that NLA will be the best league in Europe. Gonna be a fun upcoming season.

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
Well, I guess nobody expected a double sweep in the semis, especially not between Gottéron and ZSC. Zug vs. Zurich starts on Monday in Zug.
Yes, disappointing end to our (Gotteron) season but the series was definately tighter than the 4:0 result. Except for the last 1.5 periods every game could have gone either way really. Overall still a deserved victory for Zurich and I hope they win it all now. I don't want to see Bachofner's face anywhere near the pot.

With one more team added to NLA and more space for foreigners and KHL in ruins, i think its safe to say that NLA will be the best league in Europe. Gonna be a fun upcoming season.
Let's see about that. Some teams will probably start the season with only 5 imports, also I don't see all the teams being able to just extend their budgets like candy. So maybe we will see more foreigners as role players and not just the top shots. I definately see us still behind the KHL and SHL, let's see about the other leagues.

BlizzardSloth

Mar 27, 2019
Zurich, Switzerland
Yes, disappointing end to our (Gotteron) season but the series was definately tighter than the 4:0 result. Except for the last 1.5 periods every game could have gone either way really. Overall still a deserved victory for Zurich and I hope they win it all now. I don't want to see Bachofner's face anywhere near the pot.
I agree with everything you wrote, but especially the bolded part. It was a good start into the series yesterday, will be tight.

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
I agree with everything you wrote, but especially the bolded part. It was a good start into the series yesterday, will be tight.
It was a crazy finish to the game. Really spectacular for the neutral fan (and of course even more so for Zurich fans). That coaches challenge could really be the X-factor of the series when it is all said and done. I am very happy for Baltisberger, great goal and a cool guy, always enjoy his interviews.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad