Switzerland: NLA 2021-2022

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
A bit late to the party but I'll go with my prediction so you can all laugh at me in a few months. Like that time I picked Zug to win the regular season and they missed the playoffs :help:

1. ZSC
They lost some depth with Prassl, Simic, Wick and Berni, but had a crazy deep roster in the first place. Azevedo should be able to replace Pettersson, and adding Weber and Malgin put them on top.

2. Zug
Losing Diaz, Alatalo and Geisser is a tough break for their defense, which forced them to use two import spots for this position. Suri, Herzog and Müller are good additions to replace Thürkauf and Albrecht, but Hofmann is impossible to replace.

3. Geneva
Difficult choice as no roster is really convincing after the top 2. I picked Geneva because they have continuity from last season, great imports and a dominant goalie. Losing Omark is tough, but Filppula is as good as they could get to replace him.

4. Lugano
Adding Alatalo, Müller and Guerra is a great boost to their defense, and allows them to play four imports at forward, but they wasted one of these spots on Josephs. They got rid of underperforming players but didn't replace them, so their forward depth is questionable. Plus they lost their best PK players, which shouldn't go well with getting a known madman as coach.

5. Lausanne
Strong roster on paper with the addition of Gernat, Varone, Fuchs, Baumgartner, Glauser and Riat, while losing Malgin, Grossman, Gibbons, Hudon and some depth players. On the other hand, the way they rebuild their roster every single season and show no patience with any coach is the reason why I don't see them higher.

6. Davos
They lost Herzog, Baumgartner and Guerra, but replaced them by solid additions like Egli, Wellinger, and players with interesting potential like Prassl, Simic and Knak, and Senn should be a big boost compared to their goalie situation last season. On the other hand, a coach incapable of keeping his cool limits their potential.

7. Fribourg
Very stable roster so it makes sense that they'll perform close to what they did last season. Adding Diaz is huge.

8. Biel/Bienne (does this place have a name in English?)
Losing Moser, Lindbohm and Kreis forced them to use two import spots on their defense, and to bet on underperforming players like Grossmann and Schneeberger, but they've had success with that kind of players in the past. Thanks to Haas the offense shouldn't suffer too much despite missing an import compared to last year.

9. Bern
They built a strong group of imports, but letting Heim, Sopa and Burren go is a strange decision considering that they kept all their underperforming players outside of Pestoni, who they didn't even replace. Still, their imports and their interesting pair of goalies should get them closer to a top 8 finish than they were last year.

10. Ambrí
A lot of solid additions with Bürgler, Heim, Burren and Pestoni, though they lost Müller. Interesting group of imports too. Plus Cereda makes them difficult to play against. I think they won't be the basement dwellers they've been for years now.

11. Rapperswil
Egli and Vukovic are significant losses on defense, but they added interesting players with Baragano and Aebischer. Lammer and Albrecht will give them some depth on offense, and their imports and goaltending are still good. On the other hand, Tomlinson did so much for them that I can't see them doing as well with a new coach.

12. Langnau
They lost their most instereting player with Glauser. Pesonen, Olofsson and Saarela should help, but there's simply not enough quality in their roster.

13. Ajoie
Pretty much a Swiss League roster. The only notable addition is Asselin, who showed he can play in the NL last season.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
No idea what Jesper Olofsson is on but now he has 17 points in 11 games. Not exactly playing with any super good players either. Im very suprised about his stats. He needs to be on the Karjala Cup team.

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
Absolutely understand him. Lausanne is a joke of an organisation and Barberio the protoype of the pathetic play. Another real dirty play that got unpunished by him. Taking out and breaking Roe's jaw. Biggest joke were the Austrain referees, completely overwhelemd, only sent Baltisberger to the shower for sticking up to his teammate.

Oh and I am no ZSC fan.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Why Lausanne didn't release Barberio during the off season is completely beyond me. The guy is your captain and he got 4 game misconducts over the season, this is not someone you should want for another season.

I thought the new coach would help change things but Lausanne is still the same. Acting like they did in Zurich less than 24 hours after giving away the game to Lugano with stupid penalties is just sheer stupidity. And to think that with their roster they could easily be top 4 if they focused on playing.

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
2 refs, 2 linesmen and the best they could do was giving him 2 mins and a a 5+20 to Baltisberger...People love to shit on NHL referees, but NLA refs are a special category.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Apparently Grönborg told Justin Kruger he cant skate. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I will give Grönborg that, he is a funny man. But i dont like him as a coach.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
As you said, it's in line with Swiss standards for suspensions. Still way too soft for a multiple time offender, especially after some players were given two games for accidentally bumping into a referee.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Saw this on youtube and thought I post it here in case somebody has not seen it.

One of the more unusual ways to score in a shootout. Had seen something like it in soccer on a penalty kick but never in hockey.

Reactions: Voodoozz

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Could very well be true. There were rumours about him joining the SHL before he signed with HC Davos. Also Egli's agent, if I'm not mistaken, is Martin Plüss who spent four years with Frölunda, so I guess there could be a connection.

Not sure why he would do it from a financial standpoint though. Only reasonable explanation is that he still wants to make the NHL some day...

Reactions: BlizzardSloth

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Hoffman back with Zug. Its not like I don't understand his motives but it makes you wonder why he went across the pond in the first place. Pretty much a dick move against Columbus too since he signed a full year contract with them. Will be interesting to see if being a content veteran player in the NL with no more ambitions will impact his future play...

BlizzardSloth

Mar 27, 2019
Zurich, Switzerland
Hoffman back with Zug. Its not like I don't understand his motives but it makes you wonder why he went across the pond in the first place. Pretty much a dick move against Columbus too since he signed a full year contract with them. Will be interesting to see if being a content veteran player in the NL with no more ambitions will impact his future play...
I was quite surprised as well, but from what I've heard his wife wasn't quite happy with life in Columbus and has been back in Switzerland for a while now which probably wasn't part of his plans. And after whitnessing the birth of his daughter I can imagine him making the decision to just stay here. And honestly, I can't blame him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad