Post-Game Talk: NJD @ WSH | 1/2/22 (!) | 3:00p ET

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
And our hot streak is largely due to Ovie playing like an MVP. That probably won’t last.
EXACTLY, I have a sinking feeling it’s Ovie show once again where he carries the team despite its problems until the playoffs.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Schultz averages 0:34 per ot game. You could give that Jensen. Reminder that Schultz was 4th in OT TOI last season and was top 30 among defensemen scoring last season.

If you replace Schultz with Jensen, is this the change that makes a big difference?
a lot can happen in 34 seconds in OT. I'd take Jensens speed and given that we have failed to score a goal in OT like 10 times, and we are 0-7, i'll try anything. McMichael, Jensen, Fehervary, Hathaway, screw it. Whatever they got now sucks quite a bit for 3v3

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
a lot can happen in 34 seconds in OT. I'd take Jensens speed and given that we have failed to score a goal in OT like 10 times, and we are 0-7, i'll try anything. McMichael, Jensen, Fehervary, Hathaway, screw it. Whatever they got now sucks quite a bit for 3v3

Its probably totally in their head now. If it were me, I would use the penalty killing forward pairs. Hagelin and Dowd. Wilson and Eller. Kuzy and Oshie.

Yes, a lot can happen in 0:34 but facts are that they are not losing because of that 34 seconds. Its the players that go out first and second and then repeat that need to be on the table and thats the hard part.
We can mess with Jensen and Schultz all we want to but that wont make a difference. Its not Sheary and McMichael. Its Ovechkin and Kuznetsov

Last edited:

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I think speed is getting overrated for overtime. Overtime is mostly about possession once one of the teams have the puck they often skate slow and do big circles to reset the play.

just throwing faster players on the ice isn’t gonna solve anything.

having 0 3 on 3 goals has to be some back luck that puck will start going in. Just stop with the bad turnovers

Reactions: tycoonheart

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I think speed is getting overrated for overtime. Overtime is mostly about possession once one of the teams have the puck they often skate slow and do big circles to reset the play.

just throwing faster players on the ice isn’t gonna solve anything.

having 0 3 on 3 goals has to be some back luck that puck will start going in. Just stop with the bad turnovers

Yeah, I don't think its lack of open space talent or lack of speed. To me it looks like they don't practice much for 3on3. They clearly lack a proper strategy. Even when they have possession they don't do much with the puck.

racingmoose

Apr 11, 2016
I find it curious that some are calling guys like Sprong and CMM fast skaters. They’re certainly not slow, and both have improved their skating, but they’re not fast.

Kuzy, Jensen, Hagelin and Fever are probably the fastest on the team. Guys like Sheary, Dowd, Schultz, Hathaway and Wilson can all turn on the gas when required, and there are very few guys on the team who are outright slow. But there aren’t many guys who are consistently and effortlessly speedy shift-in shift-out.

If I were coach - and there are a myriad of reasons I am not and should never be - I’m putting Ovi out there with two speedy defensemen. There’s so much more space at 3v3 that you don’t need quite the playmaking abilities of a guy like Backstrom or Kuzy to feed Ovi, but you do need guys who can effectively defend at speed when things turn south.

Dowd - Sheary - Carlson
Kuzy - Wilson - Orlov
Eller - Sprong - TVR
Ovechkin (Dowd for faceoffs) - Jensen - Fever

They need to better match two-way play with speed than they’re currently doing. Every time I see Kuzy and Ovi out there together at 5v5 I’m nervous, because the potential either for a turnover or a missed-stopped shot to send an odd man rush against at speed are too great.

This. CMM doesn't have blazing speed and has yet to show he can carry the play. Perhaps CMM will get there but expectations for him to drive the play (in any situation) hasn't happened yet. In 3 v 3, you need someone that can carry the play and has the smarts to not risk leaving up an odd man rushes.

Fever seems like a great choice for 3 v 3 as he is one of the fastest and best skaters on the team. He's also learned to be a responsible play at both ends. Perhaps his time is coming in those situations.

Reactions: HecticGlow

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yeah, I don't think its lack of open space talent or lack of speed. To me it looks like they don't practice much for 3on3. They clearly lack a proper strategy. Even when they have possession they don't do much with the puck.

While I can believe this, they havent always sucked in OT. They won games last season. Right? Its the same players. Even if they just did what they were doing last season, you would think its better than this.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
While I can believe this, they havent always sucked in OT. They won games last season. Right? Its the same players. Even if they just did what they were doing last season, you would think its better than this.
This is my thinking. While the team has never been “amazing” at 3 on 3, they were always 50/50, more or less. And we’re always better at the SO.

the latter is still the case. The former? Horribad

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'd love to hear this.

Sure. Historically Ovechkin has a mid season run of 20 goals in 20 games. Its a pretty regular thing. My theory is that after the league gets an amount of games on their collective body, they slow down. Either Ov doesn't slow down or doesn't slow down as much and has a bigger advantage.

Now, maybe he doesnt get that this season but if he holds true to form that hot streak is still ahead of him.

Edit: Remember that he is either behind in the goals race and suddenly catches up or he near or at the lead and suddenly is way ahead. That is this mid season surge that I am talking about.

Reactions: 895

Jun 15, 2007
Sure. Historically Ovechkin has a mid season run of 20 goals in 20 games. Its a pretty regular thing. My theory is that after the league gets an amount of games on their collective body, they slow down. Either Ov doesn't slow down or doesn't slow down as much and has a bigger advantage.

Now, maybe he doesnt get that this season but if he holds true to form that hot streak is still ahead of him.

Edit: Remember that he is either behind in the goals race and suddenly catches up or he near or at the lead and suddenly is way ahead. That is this mid season surge that I am talking about.

I think he's in that hot streak right now.

Anyways, I admire the optimism.

Reactions: Hivemind

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think he's in that hot streak right now.

Anyways, I admire the optimism.

You think the whole first part of the season is a hot streak and otherwise you are patronizing me. Ok. He is going to have a pretty cool 2nd half to bring his numbers back to where they have been. I see him as a Hart Trophy candidate. Too optimistic too?

Jun 15, 2007
You think the whole first part of the season is a hot streak and otherwise you are patronizing me. Ok. He is going to have a pretty cool 2nd half to bring his numbers back to where they have been. I see him as a Hart Trophy candidate. Too optimistic too?
If the season ended today he would win the Hart for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad