Proposal: NJD/WPG

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
I’m sitting here at game 4 at the end of the 2nd period of NJD/CAR. My thought is this as a BASIS of a trade:

:devils
Connor Hellebuyck (2024 UFA)

:jets
Jesper Bratt (2023 RFA)

This may seem like an over reaction, but the Devils need solid goaltending in the playoffs. They cannot keep switching goalies, it’s not a way of sustained success in the playoffs. The Jets get a speedy forward for a retool.

Another point is I’m sure extensions will need to be involved in order to make this trade solid for both parties.

Additions to balance this out can be discussed below. I understand if this needs to be amended to more of a futures trade as well for Hellebuyck.
Overreaction? Lol, this aint enough. Bratt isnt resigning long term whether you guys wanted him or not. Start with nemec and a first and go from there

Anyway, pretty well known he wants to go home and plays for the wings

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Overreaction? Lol, this aint enough. Bratt isnt resigning long term whether you guys wanted him or not. Start with nemec and a first and go from there

"Nemec + playoff 1st rounder + more" has insanely high trade value. Way way higher than Hellebucyk on a 1 year rental contract. There isn't a single player on the Winnipeg Jets roster worth Nemec + 1st + 3rd piece. Mayyyyybe Morrissey or Connor, maybe not, leaning towards not. Definitely nobody else on the roster.

You're going to be so disappointed when you see what Winnipeg actually gets when they trade Hellebuyck.

• Haha
Reactions: Lorenzo1000

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
"Nemec + playoff 1st rounder + more" has insanely high trade value. Way way higher than Hellebucyk on a 1 year rental contract. There isn't a single player on the Winnipeg Jets roster worth Nemec + 1st + 3rd piece. Mayyyyybe Morrissey or Connor, maybe not, leaning towards not. Definitely nobody else on the roster.

You're going to be so disappointed when you see what Winnipeg actually gets when they trade Hellebuyck.
My proposal is under the assumption hellebyuck would be signing long term with devs. If the proposal was trading a rental for a rental then thats just dumb.

If wpg is trading hellebyuck theyre tearing it down and bratt is not close to what they want

Reactions: VictoriaJetsFan

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
I wanted hellebuyck but he’s 30 and would probably only be solid for 3 more seasons before the inevitable downfall. PASS
Not saying Devils should or shouldn’t trade for Helleybuyck, but for argument’s sake, Roy was also 30 when he joined a young Avalanche team. He backstopped them to cups at age 30 and 35

With his durability, Helleybuyck could easily remain a top 10 goalie for 5-7 years.

Devils have all the makings of a true contender, but if they believe Schmid is the guy who will lead them to the promised land, then yeah they should stand pat. He and Helle would make a terrific tandem though and when Helle is done in 5 years or so, Schmid will be entering his prime.

Sometimes a franchise needs to make a BOLD acquisition to solidify and propel their team to that next level.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
I don’t think Winnipeg would be willing to trade hellebuyck for Bratt. Maybe a third team is involved. I think NJD could trade Bratt for a top 10 pick and devils could trade that pick for hellebuyck. I’d rather see the devils try to get swayman somehow who is much younger
I could see Boston contemplating moving on from Ullmark and sticking with Swayman or preferring to move him out of conference.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
To New Jersey:
Kyle Connor
Connor Hellebuyck

To Winnipeg:
Jesper Bratt
Alexander Holtz
Vitek Vanecek
Rights to Damon Severson
Kevin Bahl
2025 1st round pick
2023 2nd round pick
Two prime assets traded out of Winnipeg, but only secondary pieces offered by the devils, one being a UFA? Not going to happen from Winnipeg’s end.

Not saying there aren’t good pieces involved, but it’s more quantity for quality. Helle wants to win so he’s more likely to extend in New Jersey than Bratt is in Winnipeg.

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021

Provide a link where Helleybuyck states he wants to play for the Red Wings. That’s just conjecture as there’s NEVER been any such indication.

Reactions: hn777 and Heldig

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
This thread should just be locked. The Devils can afford to trade for Helleybuck but after giving up some assets for Meier we are better off staying put. We aren't trading Luke Hughes or Nemec for anything. We are going to be tight against the cap and the both of them playing on their ELC's will be needed to stay compliant. With the uncertainty of Bratt and Meier (both RFA with 1 year left of control) signing longterm that means we aren't moving Holtz , Clarke , Girtysuk or Filmon either. Devils are just better off running Schmid and Vanaceck again next year. Schmid will hopefully grow into the starting job while Vanaceck is still a capable goalie. The Devils offense and defense both look bad in the 3 games they lost against the Canes. No goalie is standing on their head with their team only giving them 1 goal of goal support. Devils shouldn't panic quite yet after their first playoff appearance with their new core of players.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Zubrus Coffee Maker

Blinded by my Zubrus
Nov 14, 2008
Cobourg, ON
Hellebuyck is the worst age to sign a goalie. He’s going to be very expensive and will very likely regress during the deal. The age of the Devils core doesn’t match up with Hellebuyck IMO and as good as he is, the risk of ending up with a Price/Lundqvist/Bobrovsky deal is too high

The Devils should be giving Schmid a solid try, they’re still one of the youngest teams in the NHL. No need to give up young, skilled assets for older pieces. Bratt is 24 and still improving, the Devils should not give up on him unless he’s going to be too expensive

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
If wpg is trading hellebyuck theyre tearing it down and bratt is not close to what they want
If Winnipeg is tearing it down, then acquiring players as assets to re-sell them for profit should be part of their plan to get good picks and prospects to build their future. Turning Hellebuyck into Bratt and then turning Bratt into a good young player or a good pick or a good prospect is a wise decision.

It's not really about how Bratt fits into their lineup and their powerplay, because he won't be in Winnipeg by the time they're a competitive team again anyways. It's more about turning assets into other assets and then turning those assets into even different assets. Basically, taking the players you have and translating them into picks and prospects and young players. If that involves trading for players and then trading THOSE players to get something else, that's perfectly fine and all part of the process.

• Haha

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
If Winnipeg is tearing it down, then acquiring players as assets to re-sell them for profit should be part of their plan to get good picks and prospects to build their future. Turning Hellebuyck into Bratt and then turning Bratt into a good young player or a good pick or a good prospect is a wise decision.

It's not really about how Bratt fits into their lineup and their powerplay, because he won't be in Winnipeg by the time they're a competitive team again anyways. It's more about turning assets into other assets and then turning those assets into even different assets. Basically, taking the players you have and translating them into picks and prospects and young players. If that involves trading for players and then trading THOSE players to get something else, that's perfectly fine and all part of the process.
Which is why itd be bratt + + if the devs want an nhl caliber goalie that they lack.

Your take is that you think bratt is worth more than helly which is asinine. Helly at even the TDL next year fetches more than bratt would at any point right now given his contract status.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Which is why itd be bratt + + if the devs want an nhl caliber goalie that they lack.

Go look at every starting goalie trade since the cap era started and show me ones where goalies get as much as "Bratt plus plus". Let alone 1 year rental goalies like Hellebuyck.

The closest one trade I can think of was Ryan Miller as a deadline rental to the Blues. That's one trade in 18 years. With the Schneider trade for the Horvat pick, Schneider was RFA and younger than Hellebuyck and proceeded to sign a multi year extension in New Jersey.

EDIT - You say "sign and trade with an extension" so forget I mentioned 1 year rental contract. My overall point still stands.

• Haha

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Turning Hellebuyck into Bratt and then turning Bratt into a good young player or a good pick or a good prospect is a wise decision.

How about turning Hellebuyck into a good young player or a good pick or a good prospect directly?

At least with Hellebuyck, you have a bit of market leverage that you can resign him. Acquiring a player like Bratt that is unlikely to extend with Winnipeg kills your leverage.

Reactions: hn777

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Devils fans seem to think that since their window to win is opening, it will stay that way forever

I respectfully suggest you look at team like Toronto whose window is closing and they never had that elite goalie that could put them on his back and win games for them when the rest of the team was off.

A wise GM aquires an elite goalie early in the window rather than waiting until it's closing

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Devils fans seem to think that since their window to win is opening, it will stay that way forever

I respectfully suggest you look at team like Toronto whose window is closing and they never had that elite goalie that could put them on his back and win games for them when the rest of the team was off.

A wise GM aquires an elite goalie early in the window rather than waiting until it's closing
Not saying the Devils shouldn’t be looking for a goaltender, but the word “elite” isn’t what springs to mind when I look at the goalies remaining in the playoffs.

Oettinger probably the best goalie left and he’s looked pretty average. You just never know with these guys. There are very very few truly elite goalies out there.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Two prime assets traded out of Winnipeg, but only secondary pieces offered by the devils, one being a UFA? Not going to happen from Winnipeg’s end.

Not saying there aren’t good pieces involved, but it’s more quantity for quality. Helle wants to win so he’s more likely to extend in New Jersey than Bratt is in Winnipeg.

Well Jesper Bratt is not a secondary piece and neither is Alex Holtz

Reactions: lanceuppercut75

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad