Proposal: NJD/WPG

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Is PLD to Montreal a lock? If not would be intrigued at making this a bigger deal
There are strong rumours that he really wants to play there, but he isn't a UFA yet so it might not be for another season or two. Or maybe it happens now. Hard to say. Whatever team trades for him should expect him to sign a 2 year contract with them that takes him to UFA.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
There are strong rumours that he really wants to play there, but he isn't a UFA yet so it might not be for another season or two. Or maybe it happens now. Hard to say. Whatever team trades for him should expect him to sign a 2 year contract with them that takes him to UFA.

Pretty sure he's a ufa after next year. He's already got six accrued seasons. One more to free agency. If he really wants Montreal, I'd expect him to just sign a one year deal, or sign his QO and go to free agency.

Reactions: hn777

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I think a Helle to Jersey negotiation starts with Nemic or Dawson Mercer
Lol we are not trading Nemec for a goalie about to turn 30 with only 1 year left on his contract. Vanaceck was fine in the regular season and Schmid was even better. Schmid stepped into the NHL and put up roughly the same numbers as Hellybuck. He also is on his ELC. Give him some more time to develop as well as our core players and I'm sure we will be a cup contender. No need to panic and bring in a goalie for one of our best prospects or young talent in Mercer. Our fanbase is pissed the Canes have smacked us but it's more than goaltending that is the issue.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Lol we are not trading Nemec for a goalie about to turn 30 with only 1 year left on his contract. Vanaceck was fine in the regular season and Schmid was even better. Schmid stepped into the NHL and put up roughly the same numbers as Hellybuck. He also is on his ELC. Give him some more time to develop as well as our core players and I'm sure we will be a cup contender. No need to panic and bring in a goalie for one of our best prospects or young talent in Mercer. Our fanbase is pissed the Canes have smacked us but it's more than goaltending that is the issue.
Helle would have to sign long term with you to make it work...but an elite goaltender will be expensive. You are one of the few teams that can trade a very high quality young player and have the depth to compensate for it.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Helle would have to sign long term with you to make it work...but an elite goaltender will be expensive. You are one of the few teams that can trade a very high quality young player and have the depth to compensate for it.
Mate, if Winnipeg is demanding Nemec or Mercer, the Devils are just going to look elsewhere for a goalie, extension or no extension. When was the last time a young player with that level of value was traded for a goaltender? It doesn't happen in the cap era.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
We can do it but it'd not worth it right now. Merced had a great sophomore season and is turning into a solid top 6 fwd. Nemec is what we need on defense. A solid 2 way defender who can play 25 mins a night. Hamilton is good but more of an offensive d man. Marino is a great d man as well as Siegenthaler but they are better used in a shutdown role. Nemec will be a guy who can play with Luke Hughes or on his own D pair and impact the game both ways. We aren't moving him for anyone. I like Hellybuck and hope he goes somewhere where he can challenge for a Cup. We just aren't ideal trade partners right now. It's too early to jump the gun. Schmid might be the answer as soon as next year.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I'd be interested as a Jets fan, but obviously only if Bratt signs an extension. As for Vanecek, The Jets could take him, but he's not needed or a valuable piece in a trade for the Jets. The reason is that if the Jets are moving Helle, it's a rebuild or partial rebuild so they need the best future players or pieces that they can get. And from the Jets perspective, they can find a goalie to handle a rebuild pretty easily.

I could see picks/prospects being the return as well so the Devils could keep Bratt for their cup runs.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Bratt to WPG makes very little sense, I can't see him being willing to re-sign with the Jets.
This would make him sign his qualifying offer and either be moved at the next deadline or walk away as a UFA.
Hellebuyck absolutely makes sense for NJ, but probably not in this deal unless it's expanded to something like VV + Bratt + Stillman for Hellebuyck + Ehlers

• Haha

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Helly has been durable and says he wants to play to 40. I suspect he's got alot in the tank and he'll make some team very, very competitive. He's been the only thing keeping Wpg from the bottom of the standings since he's been here.

Reactions: Buffdog and hn777

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
I wanted hellebuyck but he’s 30 and would probably only be solid for 3 more seasons before the inevitable downfall. PASS

Ruutu Tootoo

Oct 16, 2014
Morris County, NJ
Bratt to WPG makes very little sense, I can't see him being willing to re-sign with the Jets.
This would make him sign his qualifying offer and either be moved at the next deadline or walk away as a UFA.
Hellebuyck absolutely makes sense for NJ, but probably not in this deal unless it's expanded to something like VV + Bratt + Stillman for Hellebuyck + Ehlers
LOL. You think this makes this trade more fair for WPG? Just stop. Oh my.

I wanted hellebuyck but he’s 30 and would probably only be solid for 3 more seasons before the inevitable downfall. PASS
A declining Hellebuyck is better than what the Devils have had for the last 7 years. If they can get 5 years out of him, worth it.

Reactions: hn777 and Huffer

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
I do agree with you it’s an overpayment, however, I do think in return, the Devils are getting something they desperately need. There could be ways to balance out the value discrepancy, it isn’t far off.
I don’t think Winnipeg would be willing to trade hellebuyck for Bratt. Maybe a third team is involved. I think NJD could trade Bratt for a top 10 pick and devils could trade that pick for hellebuyck. I’d rather see the devils try to get swayman somehow who is much younger

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
Thank you to OP for proposing fair value.

Still, I don't see the Jets doing this.
1) Trading Helle means a tear down, so no use for (another) star winger
2) The Jets already have two star wingers in Ehlers/Connor, so no need for another one, especially during a rebuild (and the two aforementioned may also end up getting moved in a complete teardown)

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
To New Jersey:
Kyle Connor
Connor Hellebuyck

To Winnipeg:
Jesper Bratt
Alexander Holtz
Vitek Vanecek
Rights to Damon Severson
Kevin Bahl
2025 1st round pick
2023 2nd round pick

Ruutu Tootoo

Oct 16, 2014
Morris County, NJ
I don’t think Winnipeg would be willing to trade hellebuyck for Bratt. Maybe a third team is involved. I think NJD could trade Bratt for a top 10 pick and devils could trade that pick for hellebuyck. I’d rather see the devils try to get swayman somehow who is much younger
Bratt will not be traded for a top 10 pick. It would be comparable to LA trading for Fiala (#19 and Brock Faber) if your looking for futures. Hellebuyck for 5-6 years is definitely comparable worth.

The other trade I would do for Hellebuyck is the 2025 First Round Pick and Seamus Casey.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
No Hellebuyck trade should ever include NHL-ready skaters coming back to Winnipeg. A goalie like Vanecek can be discussed for cap reasons and whatnot, but that is about it.

Without Helle, we are a bottom-feeder without a snowball's chance in hell to make the postseason. It doesn't matter what happens, this team lacks the structure to compete with a top 3 goalie, so it is going to absolutely collapse without one. Thus, Bratt is - as bad as it sounds - worthless in this particular deal.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
No Hellebuyck trade should ever include NHL-ready skaters coming back to Winnipeg. A goalie like Vanecek can be discussed for cap reasons and whatnot, but that is about it.

Without Helle, we are a bottom-feeder without a snowball's chance in hell to make the postseason. It doesn't matter what happens, this team lacks the structure to compete with a top 3 goalie, so it is going to absolutely collapse without one. Thus, Bratt is - as bad as it sounds - worthless in this particular deal.
Is Helle open to an extension with WPG? If so that’s probably what they need to do. Just sign him and be done with it.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Is Helle open to an extension with WPG? If so that’s probably what they need to do. Just sign him and be done with it.
All indications are yes. But I think Chevy needs to make some big moves first to indicate at least some form on contention.
I don’t envy Chevy this O S but a lot of this is his own doing by kicking this can down the road so long

Reactions: My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad