Proposal: NJD/WPG

Ruutu Tootoo

Oct 16, 2014
Morris County, NJ
I’m sitting here at game 4 at the end of the 2nd period of NJD/CAR. My thought is this as a BASIS of a trade:

:devils
Connor Hellebuyck (2024 UFA)

:jets
Jesper Bratt (2023 RFA)

This may seem like an over reaction, but the Devils need solid goaltending in the playoffs. They cannot keep switching goalies, it’s not a way of sustained success in the playoffs. The Jets get a speedy forward for a retool.

Another point is I’m sure extensions will need to be involved in order to make this trade solid for both parties.

Additions to balance this out can be discussed below. I understand if this needs to be amended to more of a futures trade as well for Hellebuyck.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
The Devils probably don't want Hellebuyck, and if they did, it would be based around Vanecek plus. Bratt isn't being traded for a 1 year goalie rental, no matter who the goalie is or how good they are.

I mean, bratt is a 1 year rental wing, so the rental aspect of this isn't a thing.

And the devils damn well better want hellebuyck.

Do agree VV would be involved though

Reactions: hn777

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
I mean, bratt is a 1 year rental wing, so the rental aspect of this isn't a thing.

And the devils damn well better want hellebuyck.

Do agree VV would be involved though
Bratt hasn't signed a contract yet and is RFA. Winnipeg could sign and trade him on a long term extension to a team he wants to go. "One year rental" is not accurate.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Bratt hasn't signed a contract yet and is RFA. Winnipeg could sign and trade him on a long term extension to a team he wants to go. "One year rental" is not accurate.

All the devils are guaranteed with bratt is one year now. He's ufa eligible after next season. He's arb eligible and could take that decision and go. He can take his QO and walk if he wants. For all intents and purposes, their contract situations are exactly the same. The devils could extend hellebuyck the moment they acquire him

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Good for OP for giving a real offer. I don't know enough about Bratt but I know he's good.

Hellebuyck wants to win and I think he signs long term with them without hesitation. I think he puts the Devils at the top of the East.

CaptainUgly

Jackie made me look in the mirror for punishment
Apr 22, 2018
Allow me to explain. This ain’t a knock on Hellebuyck.

Give me 15 minutes to write my theory
Jets have ridden Bucky into the ground. Always top of the league in minutes/ games and he’s approaching 30. Buyer be ware is all I gotta say. And this is coming from an unbiased Jets fan. I’m just giving you a hard time

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
The only reason the Jets would want Vanecek is a fill-in. Let’s stop acting like he’s actual value going back to the Jets for Hellebuyck. There’s certainly zero reason for the Jets to consider VV plus a pick. Zero. Not that I am an advocate of dealing Bratt from the Devils side.

Reactions: hn777 and Huffer

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
The only reason the Jets would want Vanecek is a fill-in. Let’s stop acting like he’s actual value going back to the Jets for Hellebuyck. There’s certainly zero reason for the Jets to consider VV plus a pick. Zero. Not that I am an advocate of dealing Bratt from the Devils side.

Yeah, he'd go back to help cap, give them a stopgap and clear the roster spot for the devils.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Devils could also do that.
Maybe but not necessarily. Let's say that Bratt wants to go to a team that doesn't have cap space but does want him. They want to dump a bad contract in exchange for Bratt, with lots of good assets attached. Winnipeg as a team blowing up can take a bad contract. The Devils as a playoff team might not be able to do that.

Bratt to the Kings with Petersen coming back is doable for Winnipeg but not for New Jersey. Bratt to Edmonton with Campbell coming back is doable for Winnipeg but not for New Jersey.

• Haha
Reactions: Lorenzo1000

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Vanecek going to the Jets is value. Lol. If the Jets don't find value in Vanecek themselves, it doesn't mean he isn't actually valuable. Jets could trade for Vanecek and then flip him right away for Markstrom / Merzlikins / Campbell / Lehner (LTIR) and at least one good pick or prospect. Voila... value.

So, you get the pick from the Devils and then the pick/prospect from the third team.

• Haha

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I’m sitting here at game 4 at the end of the 2nd period of NJD/CAR. My thought is this as a BASIS of a trade:

:devils
Connor Hellebuyck (2024 UFA)

:jets
Jesper Bratt (2023 RFA)

This may seem like an over reaction, but the Devils need solid goaltending in the playoffs. They cannot keep switching goalies, it’s not a way of sustained success in the playoffs. The Jets get a speedy forward for a retool.

Another point is I’m sure extensions will need to be involved in order to make this trade solid for both parties.

Additions to balance this out can be discussed below. I understand if this needs to be amended to more of a futures trade as well for Hellebuyck.
This isn’t a bad in the trenches proposal so to speak but it needs other part’s involved around Hellebuyck and Bratt.

Both players are very good in their own rights for the positions they play, this type of deal could also be classified as a blockbuster with the right pieces involved.

Ruutu Tootoo

Oct 16, 2014
Morris County, NJ
Devils don’t want or need Hellebuyck
I’m not saying everything is Vanecek’s fault tonight, but, he hasn’t been the answer as a number 1, he’s just been a lot better than what the Devils have had since they had Corey Schnieder in his first 3-4 years with the team.

But, to say that the Devils don’t need or want a Connor Hellebuyck for the next 5 years, if they can make it work, is completely and utter garbage.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
But, to say that the Devils don’t need or want a Connor Hellebuyck for the next 5 years, if they can make it work, is completely and utter garbage.
In theory, you should be able to win a cup with one of Vanecek or Schmid or Daws. If the younger guys keep developing, one of those three should be Kuemper 2022 level. So, if we follow that logic, then the Devils don't need a Hellebuyck level goalie to win a cup.

• Haha

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
Maybe but not necessarily. Let's say that Bratt wants to go to a team that doesn't have cap space but does want him. They want to dump a bad contract in exchange for Bratt, with lots of good assets attached. Winnipeg as a team blowing up can take a bad contract. The Devils as a playoff team might not be able to do that.

Bratt to the Kings with Petersen coming back is doable for Winnipeg but not for New Jersey. Bratt to Edmonton with Campbell coming back is doable for Winnipeg but not for New Jersey.
I just think Winnipeg might not want to take a risk on getting stuck with Bratt, and thus this one would need to be a 3-team deal.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
I just think Winnipeg might not want to take a risk on getting stuck with Bratt, and thus this one would need to be a 3-team deal.
Yeah, I assume New Jersey would give Winnipeg permission to talk to Bratt, and also to call around the league and see which teams would give them what for Bratt, before they pull the trigger to acquire him.

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
In theory, you should be able to win a cup with one of Vanecek or Schmid or Daws. If the younger guys keep developing, one of those three should be Kuemper 2022 level. So, if we follow that logic, then the Devils don't need a Hellebuyck level goalie to win a cup.
I would think so too. But it is taking a risk for next year's playoffs if they can't count on anyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad