Proposal: NJD-VGK trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillR10

Nov 16, 2008
You would think a team that watched Vadim Shipachev first hand would realize KHL numbers dont always translate to NHL. Gusev may turn out to be good but theres no way NJ gives up Vantanen and retains on him based off Gusevs amazing KHL numbers.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
The pick would have to be a 2020 2nd round pick since the 2019 draft passed already. The value isnt terrible but I'm not to interested in losing Vatanen at the expense of an unproven player in Gusev. Also we have Palmieri , Simmonds and possibly Brattof he plays Rw this season so Gusev isnt to much of a need. Zetterlund is an ok prospect but is also a RW so that helps for the future if he pans out.

Flip him to San Jose, Devs can be the Sharks backchannel to grabbing him and pick up some extra.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Clarkson's contract is worth a 1st pick on it's own. Not sure why NJ would be adding Vatanen and retain on his contract on top of it! That would be highway robbery by Vegas

A 1-year LTIR cap hit isn't worth a 1st.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
A 1-year LTIR cap hit isn't worth a 1st.
It's worth what a team is willing to pay for. Find a team/owner willing to take 1M in real dollars and 5M cap hit on a player who can't play for a 2nd? Sure, some fans in here might take it, but not sure the Owners who pays are lining up... thought he was still owed 3,25M when I posted this tho.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
It's worth what a team is willing to pay for. Find a team/owner willing to take 1M in real dollars and 5M cap hit on a player who can't play for a 2nd? Sure, some fans in here might take it, but not sure the Owners who pays are lining up... thought he was still owed 3,25M when I posted this tho.

The alternative is that Vegas hangs onto him, which doesn't really hurt them.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
The alternative is that Vegas hangs onto him, which doesn't really hurt them.
There are over the cap now with only 5 nhl defenseman and Gusev still unsigned, please explained how it doesn't really hurt them to have clarkson's contract?

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
There are over the cap now with only 5 nhl defenseman and Gusev still unsigned, please explained how it doesn't really hurt them to have clarkson's contract?

Because his contract is worth the same in LTIR relief. Other than some complications with performance bonuses it doesn't really make much of a difference.

They're currently using $3.5 million of their $5.25 million LTIR relief which gives them $1.75 million to work with. If they move Clarkson then they'll fall $1.75 million below the cap and be in virtually the same position. If they want to sign Gusev and some extra defensemen they need to move real cap hits, not LTIR cap.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Because his contract is worth the same in LTIR relief. Other than some complications with performance bonuses it doesn't really make much of a difference.

They're currently using $3.5 million of their $5.25 million LTIR relief which gives them $1.75 million to work with. If they move Clarkson then they'll fall $1.75 million below the cap and be in virtually the same position. If they want to sign Gusev and some extra defensemen they need to move real cap hits, not LTIR cap.
Yes, but if they want to stay path they can just ship Gusev and Clarkson together. Sign Engelland with the remaining 1.75M.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto

If they LTIR Clarkson now, they would only get $3.5 in relief....not the full contract of $5.25 million. It would essentially lock in their upper limit at $85 million, their current position, so they would have zero cap space.

The contract very much makes a difference, which is why Vegas would love to get rid of it.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
So an unproven NHL player is "by far" better than a legit top 4 defenseman...sure.

Well in that case the Canucks would love to trade a proven top pairing Dman in Tanev...say for Hughes since he also is unproven.......using your reasoning eh?

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Weird that the guy is simultaneously worth a top tier prospect and a 1st round pick and also not worth signing for $4 million.

So much this.

I really think the Gusev trade screams of a performance-based conditional component, because the unknown nature of what he'll be as an NHLer wildly varies. Vegas (fans?) seemingly want to move him (rather than sign him and move similar cash in established players) because they fear he will underadapt but want suitors to overpay in case he does pay off... but of course the suitors are also afraid of failure to adapt to the NA game. So it's a stalemate... unless... the trade includes a conditional asset. If he reaches certain games-played or scoring thresholds, upgrade the key pick. Insures both sides against NHL-adaptation issues - if he fails to adapt Vegas doesn't get much but the acquiring team isn't out much. If he excels, the acquiring team won't so much mind having given up a better pick for meeting the condition and Vegas saves face by not having given up a now-relevant player for peanuts.

But as the unknown NHL quantity he is right now, there is seemingly no fixed-value trade that works. As the quote above suggests - he can't be simultaneously too risky to keep *and* so certain to be successful that his trade value is set as that of a proven player. It just doesn't make sense. Either he's a risk or he isn't.

Last edited:

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
If they LTIR Clarkson now, they would only get $3.5 in relief....not the full contract of $5.25 million. It would essentially lock in their upper limit at $85 million, their current position, so they would have zero cap space.

The contract very much makes a difference, which is why Vegas would love to get rid of it.

Yes, which is why they wouldn't do it right now. I'm sure Vegas understands the LTIR formula. It would be trivial for them to bring up a couple minor players to maximize their relief. It's not even really worth worrying about.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Well in that case the Canucks would love to trade a proven top pairing Dman in Tanev...say for Hughes since he also is unproven.......using your reasoning eh?

26 year old former 7th round pick that was previously only seen as an AHL players and has no NA experience? Not to mention the history of production in KHL usually not translating into production in the NHL. Yeah, sounds like a good comparison to an 18 year old who was just picked first overall.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

Ottawa would not even want the 2nd round pick because you might accidently draft someone good and then have to pay them money.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
Isn’t Vegas stuck with the Clarkson contract? Ottawa is already at the floor; they don’t need it to get there.

The only team not there is Winnipeg and they still need to sign Laine.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
No because Hughes is 18 and not 26. However, it doesn't surprise me that you would use that logic.

I was being sarcastic and it was your logic I was using.

You aren't looking at Gusev's skillset very objectively here.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Yeah, I think Vegas should just clear the cap space and sign him. Sure, it might cost them a pick and a prospect, but... isn't that what they're asking other teams to give up for Gusev?

Eakin wouldn't cost anything to move. He got 22 goals and is a great defensive center.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

So far as I understand it’s only $200k in real dollars as the contract is reportedly insured at 80%.

Ottawa should jump at that for a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad