Proposal: NJD-VGK trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

kidkosher

Nov 21, 2016
if I’m way off on value, please be nice to me.

NJD receives:
Gusev
David Clarkson
2019 2nd round pick

VGK receives:
Sami Vatanen (25-40% retained)
Fabian Zetterlund

NJ gets a young question winger as well as recoup a 2nd this year. Vegas pulls in a solid defensemen to help the blue line while dumping plenty of money on clarksons contract, plus get a B/C prospect in the 2017 3rd rounder Zetterlund who plays solid vs men when not bugged by an injury.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
The pick would have to be a 2020 2nd round pick since the 2019 draft passed already. The value isnt terrible but I'm not to interested in losing Vatanen at the expense of an unproven player in Gusev. Also we have Palmieri , Simmonds and possibly Brattof he plays Rw this season so Gusev isnt to much of a need. Zetterlund is an ok prospect but is also a RW so that helps for the future if he pans out.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
The pick would have to be a 2020 2nd round pick since the 2019 draft passed already. The value isnt terrible but I'm not to interested in losing Vatanen at the expense of an unproven player in Gusev. Also we have Palmieri , Simmonds and possibly Brattof he plays Rw this season so Gusev isnt to much of a need. Zetterlund is an ok prospect but is also a RW so that helps for the future if he pans out.
Gusev is LW.

I'd do it as a Vegas fan, even though I don't like the idea of including Clarkson in a Gusev trade.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
Get but don't give, amirite?

Get what? Clarkson has negative value and Zetterlund is a legitimate OK prospect. Look what TOR had to pay to get rid of Marleau's cap, what CHI had to pay to get rid of Bickell. Adding Gusev to get rid of Clarkson is somewhat fair but adding 2nd round pick for Vatanen swap on top of it is too much IMO.

Reactions: Puckclektr

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Vegas sheds cap and gets Vatanen?

Man people are really underating Gusev here.

I wish Benning had showed some patience instead of overpaying for JT Miller as obviously Gusev would have been a better value piece.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Man people are really underating Gusev here.

I wish Benning had showed some patience instead of overpaying for JT Miller as obviously Gusev would have been a better value piece.
I’m sure he is a good hockey player. But taking on that clarkson contract is rediculous. Value wise I look at a proven decent #3 and arguably #2 defenseman for a guy who has yet to play a single game in The NHL. There are lots of decent players that have been stars in other leagues and their game never transitioned properly in the NHL. If he had one year in the NHL under his belt and proved he can be what people say he can be then he probably may have more value than Vatanen straight up. But until then, I take the proven player, let alone do that deal with he clarkson contract.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Get what? Clarkson has negative value and Zetterlund is a legitimate OK prospect. Look what TOR had to pay to get rid of Marleau's cap, what CHI had to pay to get rid of Bickell. Adding Gusev to get rid of Clarkson is somewhat fair but adding 2nd round pick for Vatanen swap on top of it is too much IMO.
In all fairness, look at what Tampa paid to shed cap with Miller. Literally just Miller and got a conditional first and third. While Miller isn't a dump, he had to go for cap space.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
In all fairness, look at what Tampa paid to shed cap with Miller. Literally just Miller and got a conditional first and third. While Miller isn't a dump, he had to go for cap space.

That's true but Miller is a top 6 forward on a very reasonable contract for 4 years, his value isn't negative. I wouldn't use him as a comparision to Clarkson.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I'd still prefer a draft pick package (not including any firsts) for Gusev + Clarkson. Not sure what Vegas is looking for, but I assumed they wanted to bring back no salary.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
If we're taking Clarkson from Vegas and getting Gusez, I expect us to send them nothing valuable in return, 7th rounder or future considerations for example. No interest in the OP, and it definitely makes the Devils worse right now.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Not saying the deal is fair or not, but there's a huge difference in the cap hit situations of Marleau and Clarkson that makes them not good trade comps.

Reactions: deflowd

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I’m sure he is a good hockey player. But taking on that clarkson contract is rediculous. Value wise I look at a proven decent #3 and arguably #2 defenseman for a guy who has yet to play a single game in The NHL. There are lots of decent players that have been stars in other leagues and their game never transitioned properly in the NHL. If he had one year in the NHL under his belt and proved he can be what people say he can be then he probably may have more value than Vatanen straight up. But until then, I take the proven player, let alone do that deal with he clarkson contract.

Gusev is more than just a decent player he led the KHL in scoring by quite a bit and had an excellent WC as well.

The Devils are also getting a second rounder and sure Vantanen might be a #3 guy on a non playoff NJ team but it's not like he isn't a small Dman without any injury problems either.

Gusev is by far the best player in the deal.

Also Clarkson only has a one year hit to the slary cap for NJ so it's not a problem for them but it is a plus for Vegas sure.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Gusev is more than just a decent player he led the KHL in scoring by quite a bit and had an excellent WC as well.

The Devils are also getting a second rounder and sure Vantanen might be a #3 guy on a non playoff NJ team but it's not like he isn't a small Dman without any injury problems either.

Gusev is by far the best player in the deal.

Also Clarkson only has a one year hit to the slary cap for NJ so it's not a problem for them but it is a plus for Vegas sure.
Take a look at the top 15 KHL scorers from last year. 9 of them couldn’t crack the NHL rosters on a regular basis and spent much of their time in the AHL. Nigel Dawes was second in scoring and if he was in North America would be playing in the AHL. The year before gusev had less PPG than kovalchuk did. Kovalchuk this year was probably given all kinds of opportunity to produce as that is why they signed him and still only produced at a .5 PPG in the NHL. So tell me again why you think he has so much value and worth far more than proven 2-3 defenseman?
I like how you twisted my words and said that Vatanen is a number 3 on a non playoff roster. I said he was a #3 defenseman and many would argue a #2.
He is a #2-3 no matter what team he is on.
Gusev is not the best player in the deal by far either. He has yet to show that.
As for clarkson. I don’t think you get how these salary caps work. Clarkson is only a one year hit. But when there are not many teams that can take on this hit then his value becomes even less. The problem is nobody is going to take on his cap without an incentive. That incentive would probably be Gusev.

Last edited:

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
No thanks :) I like Gusev, but that price is too high. Feels like Panarin recency bias.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Take a look at the top 15 KHL scorers from last year. 9 of them couldn’t crack the NHL rosters on a regular basis and spent much of their time in the AHL. Nigel Dawes was second in scoring and if he was in North America would be playing in the AHL. The year before gusev had less PPG than kovalchuk did. Kovalchuk this year was probably given all kinds of opportunity to produce as that is why they signed him and still only produced at a .5 PPG in the NHL. So tell me again why you think he has so much value and worth far more than proven 2-3 defenseman?

I guess you could have made the same argument against Panarin before he came over, look how that worked out.

I'm not saying that Gusev is going tob e a Panarin but he is hardly a non skilled mature prospect at this point.

Sami isn't a proven #2-3 Dmen, if he is there are literally 100 guys like that in the league.

I like how you twisted my words and said that Vatanen is a number 3 on a non playoff roster. I said he was a #3 defenseman and many would argue a #2.
He is a #2-3 no matter what team he is on.

Really do you think he would be a #3 on either SC finalist team this year in Boston or St. Louis?

He is a decent smallish puck moving defenseman but no longer a real PP guy in any sense of the word.

He would make a decent #3 on a playoff team with the right fit and more likely a 4th dman on many Playoff teams

Gusev is not the best player in the deal by far either. He has yet to show that.

I guess Hughes isn't the best asset on NJ either using that logic because he has "yet to show it"?

Let me put it another way, Gusev has the highest ceiling of any player in the deal.

As for clarkson. I don’t think you get how these salary caps work. Clarkson is only a one year hit. But when there are not many teams that can take on this hit then his value becomes even less. The problem is nobody is going to take on his cap without an incentive. That incentive would probably be Gusev.

I get how it works and Vegas isn't just going to gift a very skilled top 6 forward and add a 2nd for a Dman who has one year left in his contract and isn't really in the future plans of New Jersey after this year anyways.

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
if I’m way off on value, please be nice to me.

NJD receives:
Gusev
David Clarkson
2019 2nd round pick

VGK receives:
Sami Vatanen (25-40% retained)
Fabian Zetterlund

NJ gets a young question winger as well as recoup a 2nd this year. Vegas pulls in a solid defensemen to help the blue line while dumping plenty of money on clarksons contract, plus get a B/C prospect in the 2017 3rd rounder Zetterlund who plays solid vs men when not bugged by an injury.

Trading Vatanen is intruguing in that I don't see (or want to see) the Devils signing him to a big $ extension. Don't think he's the right guy for that.

This is purely speculative, but What would work great is using Vatanen for a trade for a winger to a team that needs a RD and then signing Gardiner to a short term deal to play LD which would firm up the Devils Top 9 and even out the D pairings - probably with Subban and Gardiner on 1st pair.

If Gardiner ends up going for a 1 year prove it or a 2 year deal this could work.

Another team this may work with is Florida & Mike Hoffman. Vatanen-Hoffman seems to be a need addressing fit for both teams, they both have virtually the same salary and the same term. Gardiner/Hoffman make s a better Devils team than Vatanen in 2019.

Taurrax

Jun 20, 2019
You can't compare the Marleau trade to a Clarkson trade. Marleau needed to be bought out, leaving his cap hit on the books and actual dollars being paid by Carolina. Clarkson's cap can be erased by LTIR if needed because he wont be playing and insurance pays his salary. Completely different scenarios.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad