Proposal: NJD/OTT

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Very basic and straightforward proposal...

To Ottawa: The signing rights for McKenzie Blackwood.

To NJ: 2023 7th round pick (via NYR)

New Jersey will most likely like to move on from Blackwood with the emergences of Schmid and Vitek.

Meanwhile, The Senators need a goaltender and Blackwood is a younger, arguable upgrade over modern day Cam Talbot. In addition, since Ottawa has multiple 7th round picks, this should be a reasonable ask.

A classic 'change of scenery' deal. How about it?

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016

New Jersey will most likely like to move on from Blackwood with the emergences of Schmid and Vitek.

Meanwhile, The Senators need a goaltender and Blackwood is a younger, arguable upgrade over modern day Cam Talbot. In addition, since Ottawa has multiple 7th round picks, this should be a reasonable ask.

Would probably be ok for a backup in Ottawa as long as the Senators can sign him way below his qualifying offer.

If not there’s no deal to be made as Blackwood could just as easily find the best deal on the open market which still shouldn’t top his qualifying offer.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Forsberg is a good goalie. He ranked 12th in goals saved above expected per 60 minutes amongst goalies that played more than 20 games.

I can't see his injury being a problem, it's not like MCLs are ACLs. I've never seen a player not recover from sprained MCLs. No surgery, they recover on their own. He was skating near the end of the season. I think you can change may start straining camp to will start. On average, sprained MCLs take 6-8 weeks to heal from. It'll be like 6 months by training camp.

But nothing after Forsberg except a couple of reasonably promising kids. That's why the Sens will sign another veteran goalie that is better than Blackwood.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017

Or...

Wait for him to become UFA. Give him that #3 contract, one -way, that gives him league minimum whether he's up or down.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I'd be fine sending rights to MacKenzie Blackwood to any team for future considerations as a sign of good faith to the guy / lockerroom frankly.

Reactions: My3Sons

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I think Blackwood can get his career back on track with some new scenery but I wouldn't give up any assets to bring him in.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

A late 7th to take a one year RFA flyer on a goalie that showed potenal earlier in his young career? It’s low risk for Ottawa. They’d look to bring in another G for competition. Samsonov looked lousy in Wash DC.

Not sure why anyone has issues with this.

Everyone told the Avs Geogiev was trash and all he did was come in and play like the Avs best goalie since… Roy maybe. Theodore or the rarely healthy Varlamov. Geo was probably better than those latter two. That cost the Avs two late 3rds. Nothing for top 10 goalie play at 26 years old signed 3 years.

So why not? It’s low risk for Ottawa. That’s like the 215th pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lindys Lazy Eye

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
lol. Haula has been very open about wanting to stay here. He'll be re-signed.
Wasn't a serious proposal, I am sure he will re-sign. As a Sens fan, I am about as interested in trading a 7th for Blackwood as you are in trading Haula for a 7th.

A late 7th to take a one year RFA flyer on a goalie that showed potenal earlier in his young career? It’s low risk for Ottawa. They’d look to bring in another G for competition. Samsonov looked lousy in Wash DC.

Not sure why anyone has issues with this.

Everyone told the Avs Geogiev was trash and all he did was come in and play like the Avs best goalie since… Roy maybe. Theodore or the rarely healthy Varlamov. Geo was probably better than those latter two. That cost the Avs two late 3rds. Nothing for top 10 goalie play at 26 years old signed 3 years.

So why not? It’s low risk for Ottawa. That’s like the 215th pick.
Why not? Because there are other, better options, and we wouldnt qualify him anyways so he would become a UFA. Why not give me $10.00? It's just $10.00.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Wasn't a serious proposal, I am sure he will re-sign. As a Sens fan, I am about as interested in trading a 7th for Blackwood as you are in trading Haula for a 7th.

Why not? Because there are other, better options, and we wouldnt qualify him anyways so he would become a UFA. Why not give me $10.00? It's just $10.00.

I have two words for you.

Ryan. Graves.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
I'm not giving up ANY assets for the goalie with virtually a sub .900 SV% and a 3.0+ GAA the last 3 years while not being able to stay healthy.

Blackwood has no value in a trade and is probably bound for a league minimum backup roll, PTO or AHL.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I have two words for you.

Ryan. Graves.
I would have been very interested in Graves had we not locked up a top 4 but at this point he would be a really expensive luxury who would probably play on our 3rd pair... and thats in the 1st year of a deal where he is the oldest DMan, and almost certainly the 2nd highest paid. With Chabot, Zub, Sanderson, Chychrun, Kleven, Brannstrom, & JBD, the last 5 of whom will need raises during Graves contract, I just cant see any way that we make an offer that is appealing to him. Good thought, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad